some say they are "The Beatles of Metal"

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ironlung40
Orange Master

Re: some say they are "The Beatles of Metal"

Post by ironlung40 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:34 pm

wait! wait!

We could all pair up and smell arm-pits, or we could have a spitting contest, or we could see whose dongle-narf is the smallest. :wink:
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Thu May 17, 2012 11:59 pm

leopoldbloom wrote:
But, comparing them to the beatles... can result to metallica joke threads like this one (best case senario).
I know!! I'm lovin it!!! :mrgreen:

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri May 18, 2012 12:19 am

leopoldbloom wrote:I think metallica are great composers. Their music has been deep and innovative. Along with other great groups they made metal part of mainstream culture.

But, comparing them to the beatles... can result to metallica joke threads like this one (best case senario).

i also think that all the truly great beatles songs could easily fit on one vinyl LP...

the rest of their output ranges from tedious to cringeworthy... a heinously overrated pop group

mind you i think you could easily fit all the truly great metallica songs on a cassingle :lol: :lol: :lol:
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri May 18, 2012 12:19 am

I've always preferred Monkeedeth over Beatallica.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat May 19, 2012 12:26 am

Some say he's the 'Rock of Comedy'....

Enter Bill Bailey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98xNx87hRbU
Paul.

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Mon May 21, 2012 3:43 am

the rest of their output ranges from tedious to cringeworthy... a heinously overrated pop group
For the life of me I'll never understand all the Beatles hate on this forum. They created music with more depth, variety, and creativity than just about anyone that proceeded them.
I understand the times were different back then, but even so, there were many other bands/artists back then that I like way better.

I can see your point. There are other bands from that era that tend to be underrated. I think some of Zombies stuff from the era was just as good as the Beatles early stuff. The difference is though that the Beatles didn't stop at "Hard Days Night". They're music matured into Revolver, the White album, and Abbey Road. The transition from "Love me do" and "I want to hold your hand" to "Helter Skelter" and "Revolution" is what makes the Beatles so important. They expanded what a Rock band could be.

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Mon May 21, 2012 3:45 am

Metallica should have stopped after the Black album. Everything after that seemed formulaic.

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Mon May 21, 2012 2:17 pm

It's like the old adage: Beatles, Stones, Elvis. You might like all three but you'll definitely prefer one over the others. Beatles would be my pref any day.

For me Metallica is primarily Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and the original Garage Days Re-revisited 5.98EP. Justice's songs are pretty good but the sound is horrible and the Black Album is the beginning of the really formulated sound that descended quickly into the rest of the crap that has followed. Beatles comparison is ridiculous at best. Kind of like comparing Frank Sinatra and Beethoven: why go there unless you wish to hack your way through a word salad of musical hyperbole?
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon May 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Why do people think metal started with Metallica? Sheesh. The Beatles of Metal. Give me a break. And I lIKE them! But truly, if anyone can be called that, it would be Sabbath, or some other well deserving band of THAT era, IMO. YMMV.
Greg

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Tue May 22, 2012 4:57 am

I think an awesomeness of a band comes down to how willing you are to see a tribute band do a tribute set. Beatles tribute bands are awesome as hell, but I would rather do 1000 hours of community service than spend one hour watching a Metallica tribute band.

edit: and that is coming from a guy who holds At the Gates' "Slaughter of the Soul" as one of his 10 favorite albums of all time.

fdit: Then again S&G's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is also in that top 10 list...
Monty

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:09 pm

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:I think an awesomeness of a band comes down to how willing you are to see a tribute band do a tribute set. Beatles tribute bands are awesome as hell, but I would rather do 1000 hours of community service than spend one hour watching a Metallica tribute band.
so true.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Thu May 24, 2012 3:49 am

JRogero wrote:
For the life of me I'll never understand all the Beatles hate on this forum. They created music with more depth, variety, and creativity than just about anyone that proceeded them.

you left out her bit where i said they had say - 10 truly great songs ie; an album's worth

obviously you don't quite understand what 'hate' actually means

did you mean preceded? as in they created music with more depth than those who came before them?

see...

chopin, miles davis, coltrane, django and elvis would disagree... beethoven, if he could hear you would disagree too

also, before the beatles balls dropped, there was an american dude in the late 50s who invented distorted guitar and a little thing called the 'power chord' i call that pretty innovative

what were the beatles doing at this time?

skiffle - lol
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

oranginator
Tiny Terror

Post by oranginator » Thu May 24, 2012 4:31 am

Van Cleef wrote:
JRogero wrote:

you left out her bit where i said they had say - 10 truly great songs ie; an album's worth

obviously you don't quite understand what 'hate' actually means

did you mean preceded? as in they created music with more depth than those who came before them?

see...

chopin, miles davis, coltrane, django and elvis would disagree... beethoven, if he could hear you would disagree too

also, before the beatles balls dropped, there was an american dude in the late 50s who invented distorted guitar and a little thing called the 'power chord' i call that pretty innovative

what were the beatles doing at this time?

skiffle - lol
You actually think the Beatles only created 10 great songs? Wow. Please, get educated and show some respect. Also, no one said the Beatles were great rock or jazz musicians. They simply made good music for the masses that had carried large amounts of creativity, exploration, and simply just good taste that anyone can listen to. It inspired me to even want to play guitar. They had stuff that you know, actually had guitar solos every once in awhile, and music that everyone knows.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:41 am

oranginator wrote:You actually think the Beatles only created 10 great songs? Wow. Please, get educated and show some respect. Also, no one said the Beatles were great rock or jazz musicians. They simply made good music for the masses that had carried large amounts of creativity, exploration, and simply just good taste that anyone can listen to. It inspired me to even want to play guitar. They had stuff that you know, actually had guitar solos every once in awhile, and music that everyone knows.
I'm pretty sure that Van Cleef meant, in his opinion, they only had an albums worth of good material. The rest was filler.

Also Jimmy Page played skiffle :lol:
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Thu May 24, 2012 1:46 pm

OU818 wrote: Also Jimmy Page played skiffle :lol:
Haha.. yeah there's a clip of that on the It Might Get Loud doc... hard to believe it's the same guy playing guitar.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror