Excited! Possible NAD coming in!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

OU818
Orange Master

Excited! Possible NAD coming in!

Post by OU818 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:43 am

Just got offered a Hiwatt Custom 100 for my Cornford Hellcat.

This is the exact sort of trade I was after so I am pretty excited if it comes off.
However I may be in need of buying an attenuator :lol:
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

brianr0131
Orange Master

Re: Excited! Possible NAD coming in!

Post by brianr0131 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:35 am

OU818 wrote:Just got offered a Hiwatt Custom 100 for my Cornford Hellcat.

This is the exact sort of trade I was after so I am pretty excited if it comes off.
HUH? I can't hear you. :D
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu May 10, 2012 2:50 am

Jeez! If I knew that all it would take to get my hands on that Hellcat was a Hiwatt Custom 100, I would have bought one already :mrgreen: .

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Thu May 10, 2012 4:47 am

As much as the Hiwatt is so awesome. Remember the awesome is going to get used once a year. The Hellcat can be awesome every time you take it out.
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Thu May 10, 2012 5:03 am

didn't you just buy the cornford?

dude

you're worse than i used to be with guitars!
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:41 am

Van Cleef wrote:didn't you just buy the cornford?

dude

you're worse than i used to be with guitars!
I bought the Cornford because I couldn't find a Hiwatt.
Weirdly enough, the dude I bought the Cornford off now has a Hiwatt and has asked if he can trade the Cornford back off me.

And yes, I am amazingly fickle.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 10, 2012 6:16 am

Sounds like good news. Is it vintage or modern, which variety of 'Hiwatt'? Hylight / Biacrown / Fernandes / Audio Brothers / Music Ground / other?

You'll only need an attenuator if you really want the amps natural distortion. (See below.) If you do want one you'll need to find one which will easily take the amps full output power - there aren't too many of those!
hellagnar Brosevelt wrote:As much as the Hiwatt is so awesome. Remember the awesome is going to get used once a year. The Hellcat can be awesome every time you take it out.
Well at home I fire up my Hiwatt more often than anything other than my R.30! :)

Many amps NEED to be used at high volumes to sound good. Hiwatts aren't like that at all - they sound amazingly big and full at all volume levels. You only need to crank them if you really want them to dirty up, but that isn't really the main point with these amps. Fun though - Hiwatts do sound pretty unique when they overdrive! Especially if you have a soapbar guitar handy. But to be honest I've only ever occasionally gone that way. No need - they take pedals brilliantly.

I enjoy the hell out of my Hiwatt every time I take it's cover off. That seriously won't be a problem!!!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Thu May 10, 2012 6:48 am

black mountain have given me the horn for a hiwatt...

damnit
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:53 am

a.hun wrote:

Sounds like good news. Is it vintage or modern, which variety of 'Hiwatt'? Hylight / Biacrown / Fernandes / Audio Brothers / Music Ground / other?

You'll only need an attenuator if you really want the amps natural distortion. (See below.) If you do want one you'll need to find one which will easily take the amps full output power - there aren't too many of those!
hellagnar Brosevelt wrote:As much as the Hiwatt is so awesome. Remember the awesome is going to get used once a year. The Hellcat can be awesome every time you take it out.
Well at home I fire up my Hiwatt more often than anything other than my R.30! :)

Many amps NEED to be used at high volumes to sound good. Hiwatts aren't like that at all - they sound amazingly big and full at all volume levels. You only need to crank them if you really want them to dirty up, but that isn't really the main point with these amps. Fun though - Hiwatts do sound pretty unique when they overdrive! Especially if you have a soapbar guitar handy. But to be honest I've only ever occasionally gone that way. No need - they take pedals brilliantly.

I enjoy the hell out of my Hiwatt every time I take it's cover off. That seriously won't be a problem!!!

Andy.
From what I can tell it is a Music Ground modern Hiwatt. I know these aren't as good as vintage nor the current Reeves however nobody is offering me one of those and I reckon, as somebody who has only dreamed of Hiwatts and never owned one, the current ones will still make me happy.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 10, 2012 10:05 am

OU818 wrote:From what I can tell it is a Music Ground modern Hiwatt. I know these aren't as good as vintage nor the current Reeves however nobody is offering me one of those and I reckon, as somebody who has only dreamed of Hiwatts and never owned one, the current ones will still make me happy.
Oh sure it will. Though I hung on (a long time) for a nice vintage one the MG ones were also pretty well put together and very good sounding. Main difference is the transformers which while they say were 'wound to the original Partridge specs', aren't quite as nice as the real Partridges were. And they were (and remain) WAY overpriced new. Still very good amps though - if it is in good nick with good valves you won't be disappointed! :D

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:14 am

a.hun wrote:
OU818 wrote:From what I can tell it is a Music Ground modern Hiwatt. I know these aren't as good as vintage nor the current Reeves however nobody is offering me one of those and I reckon, as somebody who has only dreamed of Hiwatts and never owned one, the current ones will still make me happy.
Oh sure it will. Though I hung on (a long time) for a nice vintage one the MG ones were also pretty well put together and very good sounding. Main difference is the transformers which while they say were 'wound to the original Partridge specs', aren't quite as nice as the real Partridges were. And they were (and remain) WAY overpriced new. Still very good amps though - if it is in good nick with good valves you won't be disappointed! :D

Andy.
It was bought by the guy I got my Cornford from in November/December.
Since then he has used it twice, preferring his Bad Cat combo.

It's pretty much 'as new' as far as I can tell. I'm now negotiating the trade to include the 4x12 with modern Fanes that he got with it,
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 10, 2012 10:28 am

OU818 wrote:It was bought by the guy I got my Cornford from in November/December.
Since then he has used it twice, preferring his Bad Cat combo.

It's pretty much 'as new' as far as I can tell. I'm now negotiating the trade to include the 4x12 with modern Fanes that he got with it,
Yeah the cab with Fanes would be nice too.

Funny though, the Bad Cat and Hiwatt are poles apart. Both amazing amps of course, but the Bad Cat is 'Vox' through and through, a totaly different style of amp from the Hiwatt. Well, here's hoping he makes a substantial loss on his Hiwatt experiment! :D

Andy.

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Thu May 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Van Cleef wrote:black mountain have given me the horn for a hiwatt...

damnit
YEAH

WAWBanks
Orange Hero

Post by WAWBanks » Fri May 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Promise me you'll run a nice big muff into that Hiwatt at some point.