NAD!!!!!!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

NAD!!!!!!!!

Post by Alex Sheeny » Tue May 08, 2012 7:47 pm

RV100 has just arrived!

I found it to be one of my most successful gear purchases ever. i had it sent overseas and it came as new with the original orange packaging and at an unbelievable price. However, like always, not everything is perfect. The clean channel volume came with something that i found a bit odd, a little crackling when i roll the potentiometer, also the volume gives a little boost bump from 1 to 2 (volume wise). I also happened a bit with the middle eq of the dirty channel. I've already heard something like that on a Rocker30 in a store near my house. Is there anything I could do to fix that without having to take it to a tech?

oh well.... it's a freaking nad day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crappy picture that I took quickly before work, but it's there!

Icarus
Orange Expert

Re: NAD!!!!!!!!

Post by Icarus » Tue May 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Congrats, got yourself a damn fine amp there.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue May 08, 2012 8:59 pm

Congrats!
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Tue May 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Congrats 8)

That volume jump from nothing to LOUD is not uncommon on powerfull amps but you could try some switch cleaner spray on the pots especially if you say the tone control is doing it too.
Paul.

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Tue May 08, 2012 9:17 pm

I'll try it. looks a lot like it's dirty/a bit rusted.

damn, this amp sound is FULLL, hell yeah

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 09, 2012 11:46 am

Congrats!!!!!

The rockerverb have an amazing girth to their tone, haven't they?

On my MKI RV50, the volume on the clean channel is very jumpy between quiet and not that quiet - but from not that quiet to loud it is gradual. after 4 on the dial, it doesn't "seem" to get all that much louder, but it stat breaking up with humbuckers - have to wait til 7 or 8 with single coil for clean cannel overdrive. That said, not sure if you can get much in terms on break up on you r cleanchannel with those 100 watts of yours..... :lol: Bet it's beautiful!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:57 pm

Yup, volume jump is normal on those, from what I've seen.

Congrats! I loved my old RV100 - great freaking amp and plenty of groovy tonezzz...
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Wed May 09, 2012 7:02 pm

OrangePaul wrote:Congrats 8)

That volume jump from nothing to LOUD is not uncommon on powerfull amps but you could try some switch cleaner spray on the pots especially if you say the tone control is doing it too.

Do you know how can I apply a contact cleaner to the amp potentiometer? I'm afraid to harm the plastic.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Wed May 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Alex Sheeny wrote:
OrangePaul wrote:Congrats 8)

Do you know how can I apply a contact cleaner to the amp potentiometer? I'm afraid to harm the plastic.
First off make sure you are using the correct stuff... I haven't bought any in years so maybe someone here could recommend what's good to buy now...

Often on pots you find a small gap where the terminals enter the body as in this photo...

Use the extension tube you normally get with contact spray to direct it inside if possible... give it a quick squirt and turn the pot a few times.
If there's no access at all you could try getting a very small amount at a time to run down and inside the pot shaft but that will just require a bit more patience :)
Paul.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed May 09, 2012 7:52 pm

The main thing with pots is to use a lubricating type cleaner, one which leaves a lubricating residue. If you use a zero residue type you'll probably sieze the pot up.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:53 pm

a.hun wrote:The main thing with pots is to use a lubricating type cleaner, one which leaves a lubricating residue. If you use a zero residue type you'll probably sieze the pot up.

Andy.

YEP!
and use a NO lube type for your tube sockets. For other sockets that you may want to stick something in, the lube would probably be good though.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Wed May 09, 2012 9:28 pm

a.hun wrote:The main thing with pots is to use a lubricating type cleaner, one which leaves a lubricating residue. If you use a zero residue type you'll probably sieze the pot up.

Andy.
wd-40 would work?

it says pots could be lubricated with it.

i have another product that is an electronic contact cleaner and this one should not be used in contact with plastic.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed May 09, 2012 10:47 pm

You want Deoxit Faderlube.

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Thu May 10, 2012 12:10 am

I thought WD-40 cut grease. I don't think it's really a lube. I might be wrong about that.

FFXIhealer

Post by FFXIhealer » Thu May 10, 2012 4:21 am

This is what I use on my guitars AND my amps. I took an old Peavey TKO-65 from the 80s that had HORRIBLE scratching, cutting-out and exploding back in pots that would grind on your ears....and after spraying this stuff into the pots twice (first to wet and eat into the rust, then you work the dial back and forth a few dozen times, then you spray again to make it run out onto your paper towel), they're SILKY SMOOTH, perfect operation, no noise, no scratching, etc. It's like the amp is BRAND-FLIPPIN-NEW.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... D=26029002

EDIT: You WILL have to take the amp tray out of the housing to get to the small hole in all of the pots. Use the little red tube and spray the Deoxit right into that hole.
2007 Marshall JVM410H + 1960A Lead
2011 Fender Mustang V + V412
2010 Fender Mustang II
1985 Marshall Lead 12 3005
2011 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2009 Fender American Special Stratocaster
2007 Hagstrom Ultra-Swede
Custom Warmoth Strat