Band Etiquette Question

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Band Etiquette Question

Post by bclaire » Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Welcome to the money-grubbing mindset of wedding bands.

Absolutely not - he should not get an extra dime for having the practice PA. What the rest of the band pays in gas to get there probably outweighs his expenses for electricity and PA.

In the same vein, unless no one is helping him move the PA for the other gigs, he shouldn't be getting paid for that either.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:15 am

The dude sounds like an A-Grade wanker.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:26 am

new Bass player for sure....what a douche
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:30 am

all of the bands i've been in have done a communal system when it comes to finances. all revenues go to the band account, and the only time we pay ourselves is when we make enough CD/shirt revenue to cover the cost of what we pitched in. makes it much, much simpler.

of course, that system doesn't really work with cover/for fun bands. still, until (if you ever do) come into some real money, then it should be important to make music for fun. not for profit.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Thu May 10, 2012 12:37 am

jason41224 wrote:all of the bands i've been in have done a communal system when it comes to finances. all revenues go to the band account, and the only time we pay ourselves is when we make enough CD/shirt revenue to cover the cost of what we pitched in. makes it much, much simpler.

of course, that system doesn't really work with cover/for fun bands. still, until (if you ever do) come into some real money, then it should be important to make music for fun. not for profit.
Yeah I do the same thing. Everyone pitches into the band money jar for expenses, and all funds are distributed evenly. If he wanted a PA at his house to practice with a band, that's his expense. If you bought one as a band, that's everyone's expense. My band has a studio practice space that we share rent on, but we all combined our gear to set up a studio with what we have. When the band breaks up, everyone gets their own gear back (and the gear is still worth the same $$$). It's not like you are renting the PA from him by any means.

I also agree there is a HUGE convenience bonus for having practice at your place. Gas/transport time is expensive too. If he lives 10 miles from you, then you are probably spending close to $50 every 10 practices in gas alone. If you add that up for all members, I'm sure you could easily buy his PA in several months.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 10, 2012 8:26 am

baytamusic wrote:Let's see those bassists and drummers write a good song though... ;)
Ahem... :lol:
I've written a few over the years. And a great drummer I used to play with came up with some great songs too. :P

But yeah, I wouldn't work with that bassist. Seriously bad attitude to band finances there - I'd have nothing to do with him!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

NickW

Post by NickW » Thu May 10, 2012 8:29 am

Agreed

when our PA neede upgrading we ALL chipped in!! So we all own the desk, amp and monitors. If heaven forbid someone leaves we pay them off their share.

Must say, this thread has bothered me a lot....I really do hope the Original Poster sorts this dreadful 'mean gig' bass player out.

I mean come on, he's only a bass player :wink: :lol: yep, only kidding

DiabloS
Orange Master

Band Etiquette Question

Post by DiabloS » Thu May 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Just to play devil's advocate here... Get a new douche, what a bass player!

But no seriously, we split monthly rent for a jam spot with another band, our band uses my PA and the other band that I don't really even know personally uses my PA which I offered to them for no charge. The thought didn't even cross my mind to charge the other band, let alone my own.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Thu May 10, 2012 2:31 pm

I don't own the PA so, when we practice at my house, I charge them for the use of my refrigerator and bathroom. Hey, now I have to pump out the septic more often. :lol:
==================================================================