Strymon

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Strymon

Post by Jondog » Tue May 08, 2012 12:55 am

I know there's users here. I just asked a pedal dealer if he supplies Strymon pedals. Replies saying no because they sound too artificial and not as good as other products on the market. Yet he sells eventide pedals. I own the timefactor and actually find it to be artificial sounding or processed. Reviews I've read say the Strymons sound better then eventide, which is true? I really want the Blue Sky reverb, love the shimmer compared to eventides shimmer. I could easily get the Eventide Space reverb, ordering a Strymon would cost me a bit more (shipping, duty, brokerage) which doesn't bother me as long as I'm happy.

bavaro
Orange Hero

Re: Strymon

Post by bavaro » Tue May 08, 2012 1:03 am

i tried out an mxr delay, a boss delay, the line 6 delay, an eventide and the strymon el capistan. strymon sounded better, no question. build quality is awesome, features are awesome, sound is awesome. i can't see why someone would knock strymon but still like eventide, they're both digital effects..

also worth checking out the flint. it's a tremolo and reverb, and the demos out are sounding awesome. you get the reverb from the blue sky with some awesome trem sounds as well.
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:39 am

bavaro wrote:i tried out an mxr delay, a boss delay, the line 6 delay, an eventide and the strymon el capistan. strymon sounded better, no question. build quality is awesome, features are awesome, sound is awesome. i can't see why someone would knock strymon but still like eventide, they're both digital effects..

also worth checking out the flint. it's a tremolo and reverb, and the demos out are sounding awesome. you get the reverb from the blue sky with some awesome trem sounds as well.
The Flint doesn't have shimmer however.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:06 am

First of all that dealer sounds like an idiot and just covering for the fact he doesn't have what you want...ie trying to sell you on what he has.

Second, I felt the same about my time factor and now have a timeline...the strymon blows the eventide outta the water.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Tue May 08, 2012 8:38 am

Have any of you guys tried the blue sky? I can't really find a reason not to buy one. I might even sell my dr scientist RRR if it's as awesome as I think it'll be.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:49 am

The Bluesky is great but as the Flint does most of what I would use the BlueSky for, I have opted to hold off.

My pre-order went in today and I'm in the first batch when they reach Australia.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue May 08, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks guys, I think I'll go for the Strymon based on what you're saying. The eventides are nice, but all the crappy YouTube vids I find, the Strymon sounds better. You can't find a bad review on eventide or Strymon, but my timefactor really doesn't sound as good as my vox time machine did. The dry signal is great, but the delay sounds thin.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:07 pm

I am waiting for the Flint to come out - and may get one of those. I have the El Capistan and can say that I absolutely love the sounds I get out of it. It is one of the best pedals I've ever used, hands down Strymon builds quality pedals that sound amazing - any music store that told me what that guy told you I'd be loathe to purchase from again!
:shock:
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:31 pm

I've been thinking of a verb pedal lately too and I've been tempted by the Blue Sky, but I'm trying to keep it simple. That Flint looks interesting though.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue May 08, 2012 1:42 pm

Jondog wrote:I just asked a pedal dealer if he supplies Strymon pedals. Replies saying no because they sound too artificial and not as good as other products on the market.
I believe Strymon has gone almost completely with an in house distribution model and they have very few retailers if not zero at this point. I would say the retailer you spoke to has lost some sales due to Strymons quality and offerings and perhaps he even approached Strymon as a retailer and they said no. Who knows?

All I have to go by is the El Capistan but I will say with just that experience I've been looking further into the Strymon line. The Flint and BlueSky really interest me but that's for the future. If you think it will be a good fit for you I'd say go for it. That's what I did and it turned out fantastic.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
Jondog wrote:I just asked a pedal dealer if he supplies Strymon pedals. Replies saying no because they sound too artificial and not as good as other products on the market.
I believe Strymon has gone almost completely with an in house distribution model and they have very few retailers if not zero at this point. I would say the retailer you spoke to has lost some sales due to Strymons quality and offerings and perhaps he even approached Strymon as a retailer and they said no. Who knows?

All I have to go by is the El Capistan but I will say with just that experience I've been looking further into the Strymon line. The Flint and BlueSky really interest me but that's for the future. If you think it will be a good fit for you I'd say go for it. That's what I did and it turned out fantastic.
I got my pedal from a place in Philadelphia - a small scale music shop whose name escapes me at the moment. But yes, there do not seem to be many retailers out there for their products.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:12 pm

I tried the Compressor when it was the only pedal thay had out. I didn't care for it. Too hi-fi. I read the same thing alot about the Blue Sky reverb. I have a TC HOF and love it, don't see the point in trying the Blue Sky. Wouldn't mind trying the EL Cap. But they are digital pedals and extremely high fidelity which is not always a good thing.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:34 am

hey, the guy is trying to make a buck. if he carries a lot of Eventide stuff, he's probably losing out on a lot of potential sales to strymon.

that being said, if he IS serious, he's out of his mind. eventide is the epitome of digital and processed. and there should be no reason for you to not grab a strymon. seriously, they're top notch pedals that are so ridiculously fun and easy to use (even the Timeline, as intimidating as it looks).

FWIW between Flint and BSR, i'd go BSR. having the favorite switch built in is seriously cool. and i have no need for tremolo.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

mavrick12x
Tiny Terror

Post by mavrick12x » Wed May 09, 2012 7:29 pm

i use a Bluesky and always keep a shimmer loaded on the favorite. its a pretty loaded reverb.. and it plays well with orange...
(USA) Fender Telecaster (Highway One)
Boss TU-2>Catalinbread DLS>Boss TR-2>MXR Carbon Copy>Eventide TimeFactor>Strymon BlueSky
MKII RV50 2x12 Combo BLACK TOLEX
Marshall Lead 900 Cabinet
Vox AC15C1

peanuts
Tiny Terror

Post by peanuts » Wed May 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Last edited by peanuts on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.