Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor (or others), help a brotha out!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor (or others), help a brotha out!

Post by BrianFantana » Sun May 06, 2012 4:16 pm

Do you run 4 cables, or just put it in your chain?

Tell me how you hook yours up, and how it affects your other effects. :D

Thx.

Icarus
Orange Expert

Re: Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor (or others), help a brotha ou

Post by Icarus » Sun May 06, 2012 4:24 pm

I used one for a while some time ago. Best results come IMO if you don't use the NS-2 like a normal pedal (in one side, out the other). You want to plug into the input, then run the pedal's send into your other pedals, then into your amp, then plug your effects loop send into the pedal's return, and then the pedal's output into your effects loop return.

EDIT: assuming you a loop?

I found running it this way, your initial clean guitar signal controls the gate, but the actual gating takes place after all your gain stages. If you just plug it in in front of the amp, even when the pedal cuts off the silence will turn into noise when it goes through your amp's overdrive. If you just put it in the effects loop, by the time the signal hits the pedal there will be too much noise for it to work properly.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Post by BrianFantana » Sun May 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Out front of my AD30TC. No loop. From what I understand, I shouldn't run it with my delay, trem, reverb or phaser. Is this right?

Seems like a cool pedal, especially if gigging different places w fluorescent lights, etc.

jax510
Rocker

Post by jax510 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:11 pm

I used it in front of the amp and put the bulk of my pedals between the send/return jacks it has. (I put delay/loop pedals after the supressor, but compression, fuzz, etc in the send/return loop) That was the most effective way I found, though YMMV. I did it because the NS2 killed extra noise BEFORE that noise hit my other pedals, and made it much easier to eliminate any more buzzing in the signal because of the compressor/fuzz etc and back through the ns2.

I did not have an effect loops however so Icarus' idea may be more effective than what I did.

I personally put effects like delay after the ns2, for two reasons. 1 being I didn't want buzzing or humming that would occur to echo or be a part of the loop i just recorded and 2 because when delay was in the loop, once the delays got below a certain volume the ns2 cut them out like it did with the humming. You may be looking for that, but I think thats why its generally recommended to run some effects after the ns2. No point in having a phaser going if the ns2 cuts it out.

I would experiment with it yourself though you may like what happens.