Wooden Picks...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wendigo
Orange Master

Wooden Picks...

Post by Wendigo » Fri May 04, 2012 10:23 pm

Just bought two after hearing they are supposed to be great: a rosewood one and an ebony one. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the amount of difference it makes in the guitar's overall tone. Much warmer and I seem to be getting faster now that I'm getting used to the thicker pick (I've been playing Tortex 0.73s for about 22 years exclusively). Kinda like a fingertip sound if I had to describe it. I don't think it would sound too great on acoustic guitars, but the ebony one especially sounds fantastic with my SG. It kinda rounds out the sharp edges on the thinner strings sound, but focuses the bass strings. I will say that fast strumming (funk style) is a bit challenging now but I think if I had a thinner ebony pick it would be just fine (the ones I bought are fat as sh*t and have a profile-groove for your thumb. All in all I recommend trying them because I personally never thought that there would be such a noticeable feel and sound difference.

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Re: Wooden Picks...

Post by Gorgar » Sat May 05, 2012 1:54 am

Big thick ebony pick with a groove for the thumb? Where did you get this? What's the company that makes them? I bought a pick like that years ago and loved it, but I have no idea where it is now.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat May 05, 2012 1:55 am

That's pretty interesting that they can noticeably thicken up the sound of the higher strings - that's exactly what I want. Do you have any idea at this point how durable they are compared to conventional nylon or tortex picks? I really like how well Dunlop nylon picks hold up, so I'd be a little hesitant if wood picks wear down a lot faster.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Sat May 05, 2012 2:12 am

Talking to friend recently who plays the viola and they can spend a fortune for just the right bow and the bow can change their tone completely. In some ways the same is true of picks. So tone may be in the fingers and the pick.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sat May 05, 2012 6:39 am

Randy Bass wrote:That's pretty interesting that they can noticeably thicken up the sound of the higher strings - that's exactly what I want. Do you have any idea at this point how durable they are compared to conventional nylon or tortex picks? I really like how well Dunlop nylon picks hold up, so I'd be a little hesitant if wood picks wear down a lot faster.
I have no idea how durable they are for sure....however after an 8 hour shift of playing the crap out of it there is no wear to be seen on the tip. The picks are from John Pearse I think. I figure you could get a piece of ebony and cut them yourself too for less money, and maybe make them tthinner if you like (at the risk of it snapping in half).

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sat May 05, 2012 8:04 am

Update:

I've just gotten to work and been playing it through my RV50C (MKI) and I've noticed a fairly significant drawback: the bottom end has softened considerably. You know how when you use a Tortex pick, the string will "snap" out from under the edge of the pick and make riffage fairly chunky? Well now it's perfectly smooth and round with distortion and not as good. Maybe that has to do with the fact that my ebony pick is fat and roundish at the tip. I might have to look into getting a thinner one and see if the "edge" is back otherwise I don't know. Sounds great on leads though on the thinner strings. :?

Update again: I think it really is to do with the thickness of the pick. Mind you the RV50C MKI is kinda soft anyway...I'll have to see how it sounds with my MARSHALL VINTAGE MODERN that I'm getting on wednesday! :mrgreen:

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Sat May 05, 2012 7:48 pm

You're right it probably is the thicker pick moreso than the material.

I'm a big believer in thicker picks AND thicker strings (w/ a wound G). Just a fatter tone IMHO. Try the purple Tortex (1.14) I found they really added to my tone when I switched to them from a Tortex green (.88?). Less of a "chirpy", scratchy sound and more of a beefy, more defined sound. That chirp I was getting on thicker gauge strings with a thinner pick would drive me insane.

I use the purples with GHS DYM .013-.056 and have been really happy with the setup on my LP's. That wound G IMHO is really crucial. C# "standard" tuning, post metal kind of stuff. Takes a few days to build up a bit of extra strength.

Obligatory YMMV.
Rockerverb 50 MK I head
Miscellaneous PPC212's and PPC412's
Gibson Satin Ebony Les Paul Studio
Gibson Fireburst Les Paul Studio

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Mon May 07, 2012 5:57 am

i can only use oxygen free NOS pics - it's like lifting a blanket off of a blanket
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Stringjunkie
Tiny Terror

Post by Stringjunkie » Mon May 07, 2012 6:31 am

I have an ivory pick. I dig the hell out of it. I also like the orange tortex picks.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue May 08, 2012 1:05 am

Van Cleef wrote:i can only use oxygen free NOS pics - it's like lifting a blanket off of a blanket
:lol:

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Tue May 15, 2012 2:50 am

I always wear a cheap metal pick on a necklace around my neck. A good friend noticed this and had a custom made 9 carat gold pick made for my 21st birthday. I've never worn it and I've never played it, out of fear of damaging it or ruining my guitar!
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Tue May 15, 2012 3:57 am

i used to play bass with a zippo - true story
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:42 am

Van Cleef wrote:i used to play bass with a zippo - true story
I often put a flathead screwdriver under the strings on the 2nd fret and play slide with a zippo.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue May 15, 2012 8:08 am

I play slide with just my fingers. Fretless bass! :wink:

On picks though, while I've never tried wooden or metal ones what I do do is use various different thicknesses for guitar. If you buy a range of guages of the same type plectrum you'll find you get very different tones - often all usable. Lighter ones sound more toppy and are great for jangly strummy stuff. Heavier ones get you more real depth of tone and volume and are better for single note stuff or for more grunge. Differences are really dramatic on an acoustic - you can make one guitar sound like several different ones depending on which pick you choose. The effect is very similar to using radically different string guages, it is cheap and easy, and I'm honestly surprised that more people don't do this.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Wed May 16, 2012 2:14 am

That's what I love about bass- no pick required. Of course, if you're playing Motorhead the requirement returns.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact