Today is my last day...without a Mustang

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Today is my last day...without a Mustang

Post by Armchair Bronco » Fri May 04, 2012 9:11 am

Tomorrow I'm picking up my first Mustang, a '65RI in Oly White with the red tort pickguard.

I can't wait to lose my 'Stang virginity to this thing, and start playing it through my Tiny Terror.

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Re: Today is my last day...without a Mustang

Post by Armchair Bronco » Fri May 04, 2012 9:13 am

The seller didn't say whether it includes the all-important tremolo arm, so I made a prediction on http://ipredikt.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that it *will* include one. What do you think?

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:12 am

My vote is FOR tremolo arm! :lol:

Hope you like it man! I had one for a brief time, but I couldn't get on with the feel - the short scale made it feel a little small and toyish in my hands. However, I was switching from my SG Standard at the time.

The guitar sounded bright, I liked the pups a lot, they had some nice grit when you hit 'em hard, and still cleaned up nicely and gave out a nice chime.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Fri May 04, 2012 10:20 am

myboss57 wrote:My vote is FOR tremolo arm! :lol:

Hope you like it man! I had one for a brief time, but I couldn't get on with the feel - the short scale made it feel a little small and toyish in my hands. However, I was switching from my SG Standard at the time.

The guitar sounded bright, I liked the pups a lot, they had some nice grit when you hit 'em hard, and still cleaned up nicely and gave out a nice chime.
I have small hands and have been pining for a Mustang since I started playing guitar. Kept buying other stuff (SG Classic, Jaguar CP Special HH) when what I really wanted all along was a 'Stang.

Hard to predict if this guitar will be "The One", but I'm hopeful. My small hands (I am an awesome blues flute playter, BTW, if that's any indication) should love the 24" scale, 7.25" radius, and the fretboard width of 41.3mm. Can't wait!

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Oh, I'm sure you'll dig it. I did like it, but it was just so different from my SG - I couldn't get used to the feel.

I look forward to hearing your reviews of it once it's in hand! The switches for the pickups were great too - you could really get a good range of tones out of it with them.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 pm

Nice guitar man!

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat May 05, 2012 4:11 am

That is a gorgeous guitar! Count me among the jealous!

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Mon May 07, 2012 5:17 am

Here's my "new" guitar, all polished up with new strings and a home-brew setup. It's shown against my new cedar fence, also finished this weekend. (The fence cost WAY more than the guitar!).

Love this thing. With my Ampeg and the Tiny Terror, the cleans are really amazing. Without a pedal, I can't make either amp distort, but I do get some very subtle breakup at high volumes.

Last edited by Armchair Bronco on Mon May 07, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Mon May 07, 2012 5:18 am

Oh. And it DIDN'T come with the tremolo arm. So, I'm out another $8.99 for a replacement! If you voted "Yep", sorry about that!

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Mon May 07, 2012 7:57 am

Are you saying you cant get the TT to break up at all?
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Armchair Bronco
Orange Hero

Post by Armchair Bronco » Mon May 07, 2012 2:25 pm

hellagnar Brosevelt wrote:Are you saying you cant get the TT to break up at all?
Well, no. That would be an exaggeration. But the "break up" from the Mustang is nothing like my SG Classic w/ P-90's or my HH Jaguar.

The Mustang's distortion is more like a blues pedal break up. Very mild compared to my other guitars.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:49 pm

Armchair Bronco wrote:
hellagnar Brosevelt wrote:Are you saying you cant get the TT to break up at all?
Well, no. That would be an exaggeration. But the "break up" from the Mustang is nothing like my SG Classic w/ P-90's or my HH Jaguar.

The Mustang's distortion is more like a blues pedal break up. Very mild compared to my other guitars.
I do recall that being the case with my old Mustang. It sang though - nice chime and all around good tone, I thought.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412