Rockerverb 100/Thunderverb 200 vs TH100

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Rockerverb 100/Thunderverb 200 vs TH100

Post by jason41224 » Fri May 04, 2012 6:59 pm

you sure something's not wrong with your amp? that seriously shouldn't be a problem. get in touch with Orange.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Fri May 04, 2012 7:18 pm

a few things... you're losing low end because the cab is up off the ground.

coupling it to the floor/stage usually improves the "boom"

next, less gain, more MV.

next ,shape knob should only be used between ~10 and 2... "not cutting through" usually means no mids, that usually means someone did a no-no with the shape knob.

next, if all of the above are in order, I think you've just found a distaste for EL84s... try something with EL34s.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

IllDuce

Post by IllDuce » Fri May 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Icarus wrote:What sort of volume did you get to try the 200 out at? Practice/gig levels?

Why do you want a boost? More gain? Compression? Cut?
Not really loud.. I tried it in a store... I have to buy it to try at practice together with the rest of the band, but then I can return it, if I don't like it :-(
I want more gain, not compression... Just gain :-)
jason41224 wrote:you sure something's not wrong with your amp? that seriously shouldn't be a problem. get in touch with Orange.
As i mentioned before does the other guitarist in the band also got a TH30 and it's the same...
Dark Helmet wrote:a few things... you're losing low end because the cab is up off the ground.

coupling it to the floor/stage usually improves the "boom"
The reason for the raise of the cab is because of the drum podium we have in your practice room. But... I have a peavey 6505+ with lots of "boom", but it's tone is not a Orange tone ;-)
Dark Helmet wrote: next, less gain, more MV.
Then it breaks up and sounds really bad.
Dark Helmet wrote: next ,shape knob should only be used between ~10 and 2... "not cutting through" usually means no mids, that usually means someone did a no-no with the shape knob.

next, if all of the above are in order, I think you've just found a distaste for EL84s... try something with EL34s.
I have the shape at about 10 o'clock to get med mids i like in the Thunderverb.

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Fri May 04, 2012 7:40 pm

Well I like boosting with a tubescreamer(but i dont use one myself) but that is not for more gain.
I'm not really a fan of using ODs/boosts etc for more gain on any amp but then I don't use as much as you so never faced that problem. You must also use a f**kin sh*t load of gain if the 200 doesn't have enough on tap!
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Fri May 04, 2012 7:46 pm

kill your drummer.

or put up some kind of sound baffling in the practice room.

something is very very very off...

room size/ceiling height? pics of setup?
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Fri May 04, 2012 7:49 pm

also, on the TV, did you try channel A for gain? it has a little more on tap than B IMO.
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri May 04, 2012 10:00 pm

I don't get it. Having just cranked my RV50 when my wife was out, all I can say is that regardless of the gain setting, it sounds best with the volume high up, ie: 3/4 or more.

Don't try to get the boom of 6505 with an Orange, they're just not like that.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Sat May 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Just because the drummer hits hard doesn't mean he needs to be fired. Some drummers hit hard. Some people are not playing jazz.

That said, I would suspect user error here, not the drummer. The other guys (guitarists, bassists) competing to be the loudest and everything turning to mush.

While a 30 watter for what we do, would cut it probably on the dirt channel, the clean channel would probably be breaking up a bit too soon. This is why I prefer the RV 50. Coincidentally, we are playing the same "type" of stuff. ISIS, COL, etc. 50 watts in the RV 50 MK I is more than enough and keeps up with my other guy running a dual Blackstat 200 rig.

Get your cabinet coupled to the floor. If you have a PPC412, consider adding a PPC212 or vice versa and running a 6x12 to get your cabs up to ear level.

Get with the other guys in the band and work on your GROUP sound. You need to work on group tone. Doesn't mean you have to compromise so much that you hate your tone. But if everyone is running wild, it's mush city. When you can't hear pile of poop, it's easy to and the first thing to blame the drummer.

If you LISTEN to ISIS, COL, etc. You'll find a couple of things.

1) they aren't necessarily using MASSIVE amounts of gain all the time.
2) They have PRECISELY learned how to layer their guitars and bass tones for palettes and complexity and HEAVINESS.
3) At least one guy with a really stellar clean tone is of utmost importance. Usually the best player in the band. Or the best player for clean runs/ that style of riffing.

It isn't about 4 or 5 guys getting together and just blasting out. That doesn't equal heavy. It equals a mess. When you have a mess, of course the drummer sounds the loudest.
Rockerverb 50 MK I head
Miscellaneous PPC212's and PPC412's
Gibson Satin Ebony Les Paul Studio
Gibson Fireburst Les Paul Studio

IllDuce

Post by IllDuce » Sun May 06, 2012 2:00 pm

We practiced today, and tried something deferred this time... Gave our drummer some headphones with some monitor and that helped a little bit...

Something a little odd about the amp is that the volume on the 2 channels are so deferred. My clean channel, which is not the problem, is on about 8:30 or half way between pin 2 and 3, which isn't very much but enough. And if the dirty channel should match the level I have to have it at 1 o'clock. Is this only the Chinese-made models that have that issue?
Dark Helmet wrote:also, on the TV, did you try channel A for gain? it has a little more on tap than B IMO.
I've heard that channel A is the same as RV channel B?

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun May 06, 2012 2:13 pm

IllDuce wrote:We practiced today, and tried something deferred this time... Gave our drummer some headphones with some monitor and that helped a little bit...

Something a little odd about the amp is that the volume on the 2 channels are so deferred. My clean channel, which is not the problem, is on about 8:30 or half way between pin 2 and 3, which isn't very much but enough. And if the dirty channel should match the level I have to have it at 1 o'clock. Is this only the Chinese-made models that have that issue?
Dark Helmet wrote:also, on the TV, did you try channel A for gain? it has a little more on tap than B IMO.
Just for experimenting purposes, I'd try to see if the channels can match each other with clean volume. So max the master on the dirty channel and use the gain knob to see if you can get the same volume clean on the dirty channel. I'd think you could match them up at the volume your clean channel is currently set at which is super low. I play my clean channel at 2-3 o'clock. If they won't match up that would be weird. Is there possibly a problem where you're scooping the mids too much and not cutting?

I don't know, I play in a super loud band and I have SO MUCH extra volume available on the dirty channel of the 30w R30. I play very loud and I'm keeping the gain knob at 2pm and the volume at 10-11 o'clock. It's literally about as loud as I can get away with at a show without the sound guy freaking out and some still do a little. I do play through a 4x12 cab too, so that helps me out a little as far as getting some serious volume.

If you do decide to move up to a higher wattage amp, I'd just keep in mind that you aren't going to probably be getting much more volume. What you will gain is more available headroom and bass response, but if you are going for uncompressed high gain (which are sort of two things that don't go together) you're probably better off using a lower wattage amp and using power tube overdrive more than preamp gain. Maybe even boosting it with an overdrive pedal out front to push it into your more desired hi gain metal type tones with the amp set to a cleaner sound for a foundation.

Anyways good luck with whatever you do!
Last edited by baytamusic on Sun May 06, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun May 06, 2012 2:17 pm

Also, do you have one of those drummers that plays hard, but doesn't know to play the cymbals lighter? Trick to hard hitting drumming IMO is to smack the crap out of the drums, but have touch on the cymbals. Like when you hit the crashes they shouldn't be bouncing up and down about to fly off the stand. I don't know, just a though, those insanely loud cymbals can really make things sort of overwhelming.

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Sun May 06, 2012 4:16 pm

IllDuce wrote:
I wouldn't say the TV's channel A is the same as the RV's B at all. 2 different amps with their own characteristics.
I use channel A on my 200 for heavy rhythm stuff.

Here's a track we recorded a while ago using TV & RV 50's. You should be able to hear the difference in the right and left speakers.
http://m.soundcloud.com/hold-to-this/03-icarus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele