New cab in 2 hours!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: New cab in 2 hours!!!

Post by baytamusic » Fri May 04, 2012 10:58 pm

conkerandco wrote:Ohh awesome, may have to try it over the weekend then! Thanks for your help.

I feel a tiny bit more confident with putting together speaker configurations lately as we've just covered Kirchoff's Laws in my AS Physics course aha.
g12m are very low efficiency. The V30s will absolutely dominate the sound. G12h30 is a better match volume wise.

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:51 pm

baytamusic wrote:
conkerandco wrote:Ohh awesome, may have to try it over the weekend then! Thanks for your help.

I feel a tiny bit more confident with putting together speaker configurations lately as we've just covered Kirchoff's Laws in my AS Physics course aha.
g12m are very low efficiency. The V30s will absolutely dominate the sound. G12h30 is a better match volume wise.
My Vox AC30 Hw2 with 2xG12M is as loud, or louder as my Rocker30 with a Matamp 4x12 with V30's.
By the way i t hink V30's sound way better in a 4x12. A pair is not as good. You just miss something.
accept darkness.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Sat May 05, 2012 1:46 am

I wasn't crazy about the two V30's in my PPC212. I swapped one out for a G12H30 75th. much better.
==================================================================

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sat May 05, 2012 1:54 am

Yeah, you can mix different wattages but that thing looks just too beautiful to be touched by a screwdriver.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat May 05, 2012 2:16 am

It just so happens that I have swapped-out two (blown) G12Ms in a 1960TV with Vintage 30s. I put the V30s on the bottom to compensate for their higher sensitivity. I didn't expect them to mix that well though. The result was way better than I expected. My JCM900 (4100) sounds far better through that cab than anything else I've tried with it. You get the midrange gut punch of the G12Ms pointed at your face and the fullness of the Vintage 30s spreading around the room. I'd strongly recommend trying it if you've got some V30s kicking around (or an extra few hundred bucks).

conkerandco
Tiny Terror

Post by conkerandco » Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 pm

Randy Bass wrote:It just so happens that I have swapped-out two (blown) G12Ms in a 1960TV with Vintage 30s. I put the V30s on the bottom to compensate for their higher sensitivity. I didn't expect them to mix that well though. The result was way better than I expected. My JCM900 (4100) sounds far better through that cab than anything else I've tried with it. You get the midrange gut punch of the G12Ms pointed at your face and the fullness of the Vintage 30s spreading around the room. I'd strongly recommend trying it if you've got some V30s kicking around (or an extra few hundred bucks).
Cheers Randy! I'll try your suggestion tomorrow and let you know how it goes! I can see now how it makes sense to put the V30's on the bottom as you suggested rather than the X pattern i was thinking of.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sat May 05, 2012 10:27 pm

conkerandco wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:It just so happens that I have swapped-out two (blown) G12Ms in a 1960TV with Vintage 30s. I put the V30s on the bottom to compensate for their higher sensitivity. I didn't expect them to mix that well though. The result was way better than I expected. My JCM900 (4100) sounds far better through that cab than anything else I've tried with it. You get the midrange gut punch of the G12Ms pointed at your face and the fullness of the Vintage 30s spreading around the room. I'd strongly recommend trying it if you've got some V30s kicking around (or an extra few hundred bucks).
Cheers Randy! I'll try your suggestion tomorrow and let you know how it goes! I can see now how it makes sense to put the V30's on the bottom as you suggested rather than the X pattern i was thinking of.
Yeah, that's really good advice actually. I did the same whenever I mixed V30's with other speakers, let us know how you make out!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror