Zoom G3 - pleasantly surprised!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:41 am

I've been looking for the perfect all in one practice tool. Needed amp and effect sims, metronome, possibly drum tracks, a looper, a tuner, and a headphone out in a compact package. I also wanted it to sound decent and be easy to use (so i can spend more time practicing than fiddling with buttons). Someone offered me this Zoom for my Vox VT20 that I still wasn't quite satisfied with and I think I'm finally happy! It has everything I want and it sounds surprisingly good...it even has an or120 sim that sounds pretty cool. I like that its bonehead simple too. There's an actual image on each display of the effect so its just like switching between a few stomps (no hidden crap like a line 6). I don't think the amp sims are quite on the level of a pod HD, but I actually like some of the effects better so far; they even sound decent in front of my amp...and its for practice; it far exceeds my sound expectations for the cost of it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone else is looking for a good practice tool...I didn't even know it existed till a few days ago.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Zoom G3 - pleasantly surprised!

Post by a.hun » Thu May 03, 2012 6:16 am

No sorry, I'll never ever believe that Zoom are anything other than pure distilled evil.

(Unless you really say so of course...) :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Thu May 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Yeah the drum machines in those Zoom pedals are really fun to practice to! Beats the hell out of practicing to a metronome imo. I've been using a Zoom GFX-5 for probably close to 10 years now, but I only use the tuner and drum machine on it. It's almost always on when I practice.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

WAWBanks
Orange Hero

Post by WAWBanks » Thu May 03, 2012 5:12 pm

I've been debating trying a G3 in place of my M9. Hows the looper on it?

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:32 pm

WAWBanks wrote:I've been debating trying a G3 in place of my M9. Hows the looper on it?
I think its pretty well the same as the Line 6 looper. Works well, 40 seconds. I've only had it a few days, I'll play around with the looper more and get back to you.

I find it as a whole much easier to use than Line 6 though.

Dollywitch
Tiny Terror

Post by Dollywitch » Sat May 05, 2012 10:36 pm

The G3 is an amazing unit. Some of the amp sims are a bit flat compared to my Pod HD, but some are really neat. Love the Fender Twin, Vibroverb, Diezel, Orange MKII.