Strings Recommendation

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Strings Recommendation

Post by Alex Sheeny » Tue May 01, 2012 2:43 pm

Well, I've been playing with these Gibson pure nickel for about 4 months, those are great sounding strings IMO but they're not lasting a single week. I live a square from a beach, I imagine that this could sacrifice the life of any metal, but I've never had to change strings so often like that. My second guitar strings are Elixir, they're great, lasting more than 6 months but they just don't have IT. I think the coating takes some of the metal tone of the strings so that could be an option but i wouldn't feel it 100%. My question here is if anyone here could recommend any set of strings that by personal experience lasts longer (not necessarily that long, but one that just could live more than a week or so?!?) and have a good tone?

Thnks!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Strings Recommendation

Post by a.hun » Tue May 01, 2012 3:10 pm

You'll probably get the usual favourites of D'Addario and Ernie Ball mentioned, along with others.

Also worth thinking about using a string cleaner such as Fast Fret to prolong string life...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue May 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Being that close to the beach you would probably be the best off with the coated strings like Elixer. Take a look at what you bought from Elixer because I'm pretty sure they have different types of coatings too. You might try a different offering from Elixer. Also, D'Addario makes a coated string but I have never played them. I do use D'Addarios on half of my guitars though so I would probably grab a set of those first.

My personal preferences are GHS Nickel Rockers and D'Addario Nickel sets but I doubt you would get much more life than the Gibsons.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Tue May 01, 2012 3:40 pm

I use Ernie Ball, and they last quite some time for me. I also don't sweat profusely from the fingers like many guitarists I know.

If you aren't looking to fall back on an old standard string, try DR Strings, they're fairly readily available and I've always enjoyed them. I prefer the sound of Erine Balls though, but you might like them. They're VERY metallic.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

FFXIhealer

Post by FFXIhealer » Tue May 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Try Ernie Ball (yes, I know... :roll: ) COBALT strings. I have them, but I haven't put them on my guitars yet. They're supposed to have an even higher pickup index than nickel strings do, and since they're coated with the Cobalt, maybe that will help with string life. Although I have heard that they can be a little stiffer than normal strings as a result of the coating. Maybe a lighter gauge string?
2007 Marshall JVM410H + 1960A Lead
2011 Fender Mustang V + V412
2010 Fender Mustang II
1985 Marshall Lead 12 3005
2011 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2009 Fender American Special Stratocaster
2007 Hagstrom Ultra-Swede
Custom Warmoth Strat

leopoldbloom
Tiny Terror

Post by leopoldbloom » Tue May 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Elixir lasted really long for me. In fact I still have them since I removed them as soon as I tried them. Worst sounding strings for my taste.

Ernie Ball sound best to my ears (nickel plated 13s, 12s, 10s) but they don't last long. In the summer, I have to swap every week on my practice guitar (they start to break).

D'Addario is my second best and they last a little bit longer. Best choice for the summer since they are cheaper.

Dean Markley Blue Steels sound nice (more twangy) and last twice as ernie ball but they are a bit pricey...

Stringjunkie
Tiny Terror

Post by Stringjunkie » Tue May 01, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm using my first set of cobalts since they came out. I think they are great, they feel a bit different, but stiffer is not how I would describe it. Actually I think they feel worn in comfortably from the beginning. They do sound different than the slinkys I was using. Btw, I use 9's.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Tue May 01, 2012 6:53 pm

i lived across the road from the beach all last year and d'addarios never caused me problems

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Tue May 01, 2012 7:54 pm

I swear Alex, you just started this thread to brag about living near the beach in Rio. It's hard to feel bad for you bro. If I give you my email, can you send me some pics of the "sights" :wink:

I just ordered a few sets of the EB Cobalt Power Slinkys. Can't wait to try them out.
==================================================================

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Tue May 01, 2012 9:32 pm

That Elixir stuff always started flaking off for me... contrary to other opinion, I didn't think they lasted long.... that Elixir coating stuff always started flaking off for me - I'd have strings with junk hanging off. Yeah, they did take away some shimmer as well. I did think they sounded good and they feel darn cool. Still doing the Daddario's here.
Last edited by nlimbaugh on Wed May 02, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Strings Recommendation

Post by DiabloS » Tue May 01, 2012 10:00 pm

I've tried all of the strings mentioned here but the price for D'addario 3 packs is just so cheap that I stick with those. I might be stating the obvious here, but having a good cloth (I have a bunch of Planet Waves ones) to wipe your strings does wonders to make them last longer. I don't just wipe all 6 strings at once on top either, I make a point to wipe every string down individually with that cloth after every time I play and my strings probably last 3 times as long since I started doing that.

Btw, how do you guys pronounce D'addario anyways, is it D'add-"are"-io or D'add-"air"io ? I never really knew and I think I say it both ways depending on the day.

P.S. Beach... Rio.. bastard! :lol:
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Wed May 02, 2012 12:32 am

I wish I was only bragging about living here ... hahahahah, everything in my house starts to oxide at some point, the time runs faster for stuff , every piece of metal here gets older really fast. you should enjoy the sights here by yourself man ahahhaa, rio got some killer views.

the positive point of d'addarios is that you can buy that 12 pack for a really low price and go on with the string replacement every week or two. I might be trying this ernie ball cobalt as well.

the elixir one's I have are the nanoweb, I actually like them, just don't feel they're right for my 335, I prefer to let them stay on my epi. what's the actual difference from the two elixir string models?

I've already heard about some "boutique'' strings (i don't know if that's possible, to have like.. boutique strings) but they're called Pyramid, the guys at the MyLesPaulForum always post some nice reviews about it, but I've never seen it being sold, I'll try searching it on eBay. Anyone here had any experiences with that?

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 am

If the Elixirs last, go with them... there's not a lot that you can't sort out with a bit of EQ, and you're not going to hear too much difference between sets of strings in a band mix. It's only really for recording that you might get a difference...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

NickW

Post by NickW » Thu May 03, 2012 7:05 am

I live pretty close to the sea (next stop America) but haven't had any real issues.

Use RotoSound and D'Addario strings.

However, wherever I lived I wouldn't expect strings to last 6 months and sound any good :?

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Thu May 03, 2012 11:47 am

Irish, your sig is awesome. i wonder if that is available in a bumper sticker....

EDIT: Just found out they make Tshirts. Brilliant!
==================================================================