Rockerverb MKi Reverb tube swap

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Guitarfitz

Rockerverb MKi Reverb tube swap

Post by Guitarfitz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:29 pm

I always quite liked the reverb on my Rockerverb mki but the more I've heard Fender and Mesa Boogie spring reverbs I'm starting to like my Orange reverb less and less. Would a tube swap alter the reverb sound at all on the amp or will it always sound the same.

Also, when do you need to change the reverb and fx loop tubes? Will they gradually get worse and worse or one day just go bad and need changing?

Thanks

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Rockerverb MKi Reverb tube swap

Post by a.hun » Tue May 01, 2012 6:46 am

Guitarfitz wrote:I always quite liked the reverb on my Rockerverb mki but the more I've heard Fender and Mesa Boogie spring reverbs I'm starting to like my Orange reverb less and less. Would a tube swap alter the reverb sound at all on the amp or will it always sound the same.

Also, when do you need to change the reverb and fx loop tubes? Will they gradually get worse and worse or one day just go bad and need changing?

Thanks
Hi there.

I'd imagine from the sound of what you are saying that while a valve swap might make some difference, it'd not transform the reverb into what you want. That has more to do with the circuit rather than just the valve. What might help (and I think some people have tried) is a lower gain preamp valve in the reverb.
http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/prea ... lity-guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, valves can go either way - either very gradually dropping off in performance, or if you are unlucky failing suddenly at some point.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Guitarfitz

Post by Guitarfitz » Tue May 01, 2012 1:42 pm

OK thanks I may try a different tube as long as it's safe. I think the problem with Orange reverb is the dwell is far too long. I've been cranking the reverb lately to try and get a nice over the top surf tone but if you crank the reverb really high where you can really hear it while you're playing when you stop it lasts for ever and doesn't tail off nicely like a fender reverb.

Tamayo
Tiny Terror

Post by Tamayo » Thu May 03, 2012 6:58 pm

What about swapping the tank? I did on mine and sounded great. I don't know that the tubes have a lot to do with it like Andy said. Happy hunting!
Jackson Newcastle Combo
Orange RV50C
00' TR-Black Heritage 535
11' Duesenberg Starplayer Special
01' G&L Legacy

Guitarfitz

Post by Guitarfitz » Thu May 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Tamayo wrote:What about swapping the tank? I did on mine and sounded great. I don't know that the tubes have a lot to do with it like Andy said. Happy hunting!
Yeah that's what I've decided to do now after seeing how easy it is to replace the tank. I put up a topic about changing my tank in the technical section of this forum but didn't get any responses.

I think I saw on a previous topic through a search that you said you replaced yours with an MOD 2 spring tank right?

The only thing I wasn't sure on was what tank model to get. I really want to get more of a 60s fender reverb sound and from what I've read 2 spring tanks give you that 60s sound. Do I have to get a tank with the exact same impedance? I would like a 2 spring medium decay tank if possible.

Tamayo
Tiny Terror

Post by Tamayo » Fri May 04, 2012 4:12 am

Guitarfitz wrote:
Tamayo wrote:What about swapping the tank? I did on mine and sounded great. I don't know that the tubes have a lot to do with it like Andy said. Happy hunting!
Yeah that's what I've decided to do now after seeing how easy it is to replace the tank. I put up a topic about changing my tank in the technical section of this forum but didn't get any responses.

I think I saw on a previous topic through a search that you said you replaced yours with an MOD 2 spring tank right?

The only thing I wasn't sure on was what tank model to get. I really want to get more of a 60s fender reverb sound and from what I've read 2 spring tanks give you that 60s sound. Do I have to get a tank with the exact same impedance? I would like a 2 spring medium decay tank if possible.
The more springs, the more noise. :D Not sure about impedance though.
Jackson Newcastle Combo
Orange RV50C
00' TR-Black Heritage 535
11' Duesenberg Starplayer Special
01' G&L Legacy

Guitarfitz

Post by Guitarfitz » Fri May 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Tamayo wrote:
Guitarfitz wrote:

The more springs, the more noise. :D Not sure about impedance though.

I can't work out which tank I need! I opened the amp up to find that the tank is a Ruby RRVS 3AB2C1B. However I can't find any information about this tank. When I type 3AB2C1B in a search only specs for a 17" tank come up and mine is 9".