So my band just broke up...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

OU818
Orange Master

So my band just broke up...

Post by OU818 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:17 am

Our singer has always had a history of drinking a bit and lately we have been worried that it is getting a bit out of hand. Today the other guitarist messaged him saying thta he wants him to turn up sober tonight to rehearsal and to stop lying about how much he is drinking. That didn't go very well and the guitarist quit. Then, in what I can only assume was a moment of immaturity, the singer decided to quit also.

So, end of story, no more band.

Unfortunately we had just put money into recording a demo and had started getting some recognition, including radio play.

To be honest I am not that upset, in fact I am slightly relieved. The in fighting and tension has kind of been building as of late and it just wasn't fun anymore.

Anyway, I wrote a bit of a band break up announcement and have to say, probably perversley, I think it is the best work we released as a band :lol:

Hi guys,

It is with regret that I inform you that Son of Set has disbanded.

I always said that I'd do ths until it wasn't fun anymore and unfortunately, today it stopped being fun. Personally, I didn't expect it to end so quickly however we must play the cards we are dealt.

To all of you who have supported us along this often bumpy road that is rock and roll, we thank you. It would have been a ...lonely journey without you.

On a personal note, to my band mates, you are all fantastic people and you have my friendship for life. It has been proven though that friends and bands do not always mix and due to this, and a wish to preserve our friendship, I see no other way that this can go.

In the immortal and often slurred words of Jim Morrison;"When the music's over, turn out the light".

Goodnight to you all.

Matt (Son of Set)

We only had a couple of hundred fans but I thought they may as well have it broken to them in a cushioned sort of way.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Re: So my band just broke up...

Post by Neiloler » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:26 am

Bummer to hear that, but sometimes it's what needs to happen. Here's hoping to retained friendships and new musical horizons!

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:59 am

sorry to hear that matey - onward an upward, one door closes another opens - insert pithy cliche here etc

umm yeah - things have been a tad rocky with one of our guys too - it's kinda slowed us down a bit - audition processes are a pita

it's worse than a blind date! not only does the person need to be able to play and maintain a level of commitment - they also have to not suck at being a human being...

THEN they have to be able to cope with our weirdness...

anyway best of luck
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:34 am

man, that sucks. my band broke up last summer and i was pretty much heartbroken, because we had gone far (in my mind) and done so many great things. we're still the best of friends, and i now realize how bad our music seems even just then. i guess coping with it is is kinda like a regular breakup in that sense.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Definitely a bummer - but when it's no longer fun, that's when you gotta stop, imo. My band is on the way out at the moment, we have a couple more shows lined up - with the last one being in July - and then that's it. No hard feelings anywhere, just priorities are shifting for our drummer. But my bassist and I have another project we're looking start, and I'm the basser in another band with some other friends - so I'm keeping busy!

I've found that bands come and go, you gotta keep the friendships though, that's the important thing. And again, if you ain't having fun (which it sounds like you were not) it's time to call it. Good luck with the future!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:33 pm

you'll get back together. the most successful relationships are dysfunctional.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:11 pm

sidvicious wrote:you'll get back together. the most successful relationships are dysfunctional.
Not if I can help it!
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Sucks man! But at the same time usually for me if it has gotten to that point it's a relief, and also opens me up to new projects and bands to play in.

sizzlingbadger
Orange Hero

Post by sizzlingbadger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:44 pm

"I always said that I'd do ths until it wasn't fun anymore and unfortunately, today it stopped being fun"

life's too short, you did the right thing 8)