Rocker

Re: Clean Head

Post by Alex Sheeny » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:11 pm

because the TT don't get along well with some pedals

d1dsj
Tiny Terror

Post by d1dsj » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Ok, I'm interested in knowing what doesn't work as I am on a pedal quest at the minute.

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Fender Pro Junior - great little combo that you can also play throuh your cabinet. Has a great clean tone at bedroom - jazzband volume.

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:42 pm

digiTED wrote:Don't forget the EF86 Dr. Z stuff like the Route 66 and KT-45. They are monsters with pedals and have rich, high headroom cleans (the KT with its EL34s has more headroom than the KT66s of the Route 66, but its damn loud clean too).
I wanna play one of those kt45's in a bad way.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:48 pm

If you don't want the amp to produce the distortion, why would 50 watts be too much? They do have volume knobs after all. The lower-wattage Fenders aren't necessarily cheaper and they might not give you enough clean headroom.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:11 am

Randy Bass wrote:If you don't want the amp to produce the distortion, why would 50 watts be too much? They do have volume knobs after all. The lower-wattage Fenders aren't necessarily cheaper and they might not give you enough clean headroom.
I'm glad you posted this because I was about to say something similar the other day, but decided not to post it. I see no reason to fool around with 20w amps if you are looking for a clean pedal platform. I'd rather be prepared for both home practice and a gigging situation where there may or may not be a decent PA setup.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:06 am

get a roland jazz chorus - good luck overdiring that ;)
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:35 am

Van Cleef wrote:get a roland jazz chorus - good luck overdiring that ;)
Great amps. Avoid the amps own built in distortion though - dire is right! :lol:
But they really are classic clean guitar amps - among the best ever and no valves in sight. 8)
baytamusic wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:If you don't want the amp to produce the distortion, why would 50 watts be too much? They do have volume knobs after all. The lower-wattage Fenders aren't necessarily cheaper and they might not give you enough clean headroom.
I'm glad you posted this because I was about to say something similar the other day, but decided not to post it. I see no reason to fool around with 20w amps if you are looking for a clean pedal platform. I'd rather be prepared for both home practice and a gigging situation where there may or may not be a decent PA setup.
+1 to all that. Staying clean means having enough power available to stay clean. Don't go piddling about with too few watts if you are looking for a clean amp.

I was totally serious about looking for an old PA amp though. Many old valve PA amps can make great guitar amps, and they used to came in all sizes from tiny little ones like my 10 watter to 200W monsters, and everything in between. A 50W valve PA amp would probably suit you perfectly and cost little. Yes you'd need a tech to check it over, but that is true of any old amp.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 pm

I got what you mean by having a high wattage amp for cleans. but i'm not just looking for loud cleans, i'm looking for a clean amp to handle pedals. for example, the breakup would mess with a fuzz pedal signal? well, and yes the lower wattage amps are not necessarily cheaper, but most of them actually are. the supersonics should do it though.

about the TT not handling pedals, just try to throw a big muff in front of them for example. i personally find that they don't get along well with any fuzz pedal like a clean amp. but that's just my opinion though. i think some folks here actually enjoy using them with oranges.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:33 pm

You are totally missing the point...

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:48 pm

i really got what you meant. i may be wanting something that doesn't make much sense. but my main concern about these fender amps that aren't low wattage is that they're too loud, on volume 3 they're already too loud. i experienced this with a fender deville 60w and based on that i said what i said. but i'm not lost on my question... i just asked a tip for small clean tube amp heads. but thanks anyway, the suggestions were really helpful to start a more specific search.

I think i may be thinking wrong in some aspects, but i don't think i'm losing my point, that's why i asked for help. otherwise i'd do it myself without bothering to ask others about it.

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 pm

Alex Sheeny wrote:i really got what you meant. i may be wanting something that doesn't make much sense. but my main concern about these fender amps that aren't low wattage is that they're too loud, on volume 3 they're already too loud. i experienced this with a fender deville 60w and based on that i said what i said. but i'm not lost on my question... i just asked a tip for small clean tube amp heads. but thanks anyway, the suggestions were really helpful to start a more specific search.

I think i may be thinking wrong in some aspects, but i don't think i'm losing my point, that's why i asked for help. otherwise i'd do it myself without bothering to ask others about it.
As long as the master volume works well it doesn't really matter the number on the dial. You may need to turn it to 3 or even 5 or 6 if you play an outdoor festival with little monitor support, so why not give yourself that ability if the cost difference ends up being negligible.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Deville's have crappy volume pots so that was probably your problem with that amp.

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Post by Gorgar » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:31 pm

This thread kind of makes me want to get another Orange 2x12, have the speakers wired in parallel so it's 4 ohms, and use it with my silverface Bassman head.

As far as volumes on Fender amps go, when I was using a 90s Fender Super as a pedal platform, I just ran a volume pedal either before the amp or in the effects loop. I've had that same problem, where they seem to go from inaudible to too loud with little range in between. It sounded better turned up loud and fed just a little signal from the volume pedal anyway.

And, I'm really fond of Jazz Chorus amps, but that sound has to be what you want. You can run a tube preamp in front of it (I use a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic) to warm it up some, but it's still going to be a very crisp amp.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 am

again, stay away from the Supersonics. they look great on paper, but they just don't sound good. at least try before you buy.

one amp to check out would be a Peavey Classic 30 or 50. Fendery sound. super nice and clean. damn cheap. like $300 used cheap. and they're great pedal platforms
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals