guitar wiring mod help

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

guitar wiring mod help

Post by Wired » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:12 pm

I got a fun one. I don't even know if its possible, but I'm hoping that someone better than me at guitar wiring mods can help me out with this one.

I got a 4 way telecaster switch
a single coil 3 wire telecaster neck pickup (Fender Twisted Tele)
a humbucker 5 wire telecaster bridge pickup (Dimarzio Super Distortion)
volume/tone

I want to have a combination of switching options that looks like:

Neck
Neck/Bridge tapped
Bridge tapped
Bridge full humbucker

the way fender wires it up with a pair of single coils goes:

bride
bridge & neck parallel
neck
bridge & neck series

I can only assume its due to how the poles on the switch are wired in the original diagram.

Any ideas if I can get what I want from this switch? Or would I be better off with a five way selector? and what would I get from the additional switch location?

thanks!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Re: guitar wiring mod help

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Sorry no help here but I think that's a really cool idea.

I kind of wired my SSS Strat up a little the same way but with a push/pull pot on the 2nd tone switch. It puts the middle and bridge pickup in series for a little volume boost.

Good luck!
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am

Hit up Jonesy at Jonesyblues.com. I know him from the MyLesPaul Forum. I bought a drop in 50's wiring harness from him for my LP and it was a great piece of work. He specializes in that sort of thing. He builds Jimmy Page 20 something different combination harnesses for LPs too. If he can't do it, no one can.
==================================================================

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:32 pm

one more bump for jonesy, best service out there!

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Not sure if you can do all that without either a mini toggle or a superswitch.

I would suggest you join TDPRI and PM Phostenix he will help you within a day or 2. GREAT GUY!

Here are a bunch of his diagrams though.

https://sites.google.com/site/phostenix ... rams/teles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS that Super Distortion T is a Beast....isn't it?
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:13 pm

I'm sure it can be done.
If you think of the switch as actually being two 4 way switches side by side which is what they are once you've removed the little short link that joins either side together... then its possible.

There will be a pair of wires from your humbucker which need switching to ground for coil tapping. Connect this pair to the common pin of this second switch and just run a ground wire to the middle 2 positions so the humbucker is 'tapped to ground' on those positions.

The only real problem is working out which is the common pin on each switch since these diagrams don't usually go into that specific detail.
With a multimeter you should be able to work it out easilly enough though...I think they are normally diagonally opposite one another so don't be surprised to find that to be the case.

Remember also to link the hot wire of your humbucker to postions 1 and 2 on the other 'pickup selector' side switch.

On a regular Strat the 2nd switch is used for switching in and out the tone controls but I'm guessing you're using a master tone anyways as per the diagram you posted.

EDIT: I've realised this wont work on the pickup selector side without a strat type 5 position to enable the bridge and neck pups to be run together.
I think its a 5 way or a push/pull pot in order to do it.
Paul.