Mix of a song - vintage OR sound all over it!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Mix of a song - vintage OR sound all over it!

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 am

http://soundcloud.com/tesla-music-inc/enemy-mix3-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now after being back from india, we're currently mixing the songs we recorded with my band last year in a really super super small studio.
The song is called enemy. It was the first song of our band! It's something special for me.

It's not a short song. I find it kind of trippy and dreamy.
The recording engineer was really impressed by the Matamp GT1 (which is basically an OD/OR80 mix) and the Rocker 30, he loved the amps.

The volume is still a bit low, so i increased the volume and it clips a little bit now. It's not the final mix but we're almost done right now!
You might wanna add what could be mixed better.

So yeah, please tell me what you think and if you like it :!:
I might post more :mrgreen:
accept darkness.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: Mix of a song - vintage OR sound all over it!

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:44 pm

There is parts where you can lose yourself and it sound excellent but I feel overall it's a little heavy on the bass side for me.

I thought at first maybe reducing the kick and bass guitar in level slightly might help the guitars snare and vocals cut through a bit more but now I'm not so sure...
Maybe a bit of EQ on the kick and bass might help more. Just feels like it needs tightening up a little for my taste.

Me Nitpicking really :)
Paul.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:35 am

I think the mix is pretty groovy. The only thing I would change is the snare. It is just to cut and dry for how ambient the rest of the mix is. Soak that baby.
Monty

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:12 am

Don't get caught up in post processing... There is such a thing as too much EQ, too much wet reverb, etc. Don't forget recording is capturing what already exists. Mix sounds great to me. Perhaps a little too much reverb on the rhythm guitars, turn down the wetness. Snare sounds fine with the room reverb, but the guitars aren't complimenting right now. Wicked track!! :D
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Love it! I do agree that the snare needs a little more wetness to throw it back in the mix a little but I think the recording is great.

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Thank you i will suggest this the next time when we're mixing.
Most of the Reverb from the guitars is from the Twin Reverb but maybe he put an extra Reverb on the guitars. I will check this out.

But you are right, you shouldn't mix too much. Let's see how this turns out
accept darkness.