How about this for a new line up for Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

How about this for a new line up for Orange?

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Kind of spring boarding of of the 1w amp thread.....

You know what, I would love to see a whole line of 1w (Or 5w) amps that have the same pre-amps as the big Oranges.

But I don't want them from the low watt function necessarily.

They could go back to their Slave Power Amp model design and produce 3-4 30w-100w slave power heads with a built in load for the 1w amps as well as a line out for the signal.

So you could have an "AD1" with a 4 el84 slave head to turn it into an AD30.

And you could do a lot of variation within the slave head too as in switchable SS rectifier or Tube. There's a whole lot of possibilities there.

That would be pretty dang cool and I would guess they would sell a ton if they were priced well.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Re: How about this for a new line up for Orange?

Post by Dark Helmet » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:53 pm

actually, that could work...

it'll never happen, but it COULD work....
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:32 pm

I think they could bring out a small range of Pre Amps and Power Amps but I don't think for one moment they will.
Guitarists broadly speaking aren't too accustomed to change :)

Orange certainly seemed to strike a winner with the TT and now they have is it 4 different 15watt heads?... 5 if you include the TT HW
Paul.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Thinking again I reckon you could be onto something here Jake.

If you could go out and buy the low powered amp and then later when you have the funds to upgrade on the power side of things that could be an attractive route...especially for players starting out that aren't necessarily ready to go out gigging.
Paul.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:31 pm

OrangePaul wrote:Thinking again I reckon you could be onto something here Jake.

If you could go out and buy the low powered amp and then later when you have the funds to upgrade on the power side of things that could be an attractive route...especially for players starting out that aren't necessarily ready to go out gigging.
I'm tellin' ya, that's spot on!

A huge dilemma for all of us tube amp players is size vs utility. We all love out 30w-100w gigging amps but how many threads get thrown out for either an attenuator for those big boys for practice or "Which small tube amp is great for home?"

This way you could have effectively an AD5htc for home use and bring out the big Orange 30w slave for a gig making it an AD30htc.

And you could run yourself ragged since you could have your RV5 and run that through an el84 slave OR you could have both the 4x 6v6 slave and a 2 el34 slave for a RV 50 mk1 and mk2.

I can't count the number of times I've read "The AD30 won't work since it doesn't have a loop". With this set up EVERY Orange amp would have a loop. And if it sounds like crap, don't put your stuff between your 5w and Slave amp.

Priced accordingly I think it would really take a bite out of some market share.
Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:50 pm

That's a very good point about solving the loop problem for time based effects.

It does away with need for a loop. Or they could put the loop on the small amp with the effects loop out also doubling as the preamp out to the slave.
Paul.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:11 pm

This is a pretty awesome system. Make me think a lot about this system that came out a few years back:
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Amplif ... S-Modules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's more or less the same thing, except these modules have no functionality outside of the head unit. Either way, this proves that such a system can find success.

I would really really dig the kind of rig you described, though. As someone who lives and records in an apartment in Brooklyn and would occasionally need to carry a small amp up to my company's studio, then also have a big live rig, this would be awesome. It would take the 'leave a cab at the practice space' approach to a whole new level.

Should we start a kickstarter fund for Orange to invest in the research? That would be awesome. Social media seems to be Orange's thing lately!
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:36 am

That is a brilliant idea, although slavery isn't as popular as it used to be. The form factor is the biggest hurdle to clear since most people wouldn't like having to lug around an extra box. Modular stuff (like the Randalls) hasn't been very successful though, so I think it would have to consist of separate amp units (1-watt 1x10" combo and head/slave power unit).

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:39 am

Randy Bass wrote:That is a brilliant idea, although slavery isn't as popular as it used to be.
i chuckled, i must admit. :roll:
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:13 am

Randy Bass wrote:That is a brilliant idea, although slavery isn't as popular as it used to be. The form factor is the biggest hurdle to clear since most people wouldn't like having to lug around an extra box. Modular stuff (like the Randalls) hasn't been very successful though, so I think it would have to consist of separate amp units (1-watt 1x10" combo and head/slave power unit).
I would agree. The fact that the Randall stuff pre amps were $300 or so was the big deterrent for me since they didn't do anything but slide into an expensive power amp rack. It's a cool idea but like you said if you could tie it into a combo or a light 1x10 ext cab and 1w/5w (I'd really rather see 5w. More utility there) head you would unfortunately have to carry a third box to the big-rig-gig.

But to me that's a pretty small price to pay for all of my gigs just to have the ability to take a 5w to a jam/practice, a 30w to the smaller clubs and a 50-100w to the outdoor festival.

And I bet it the 5w was housed in a 2 rack sized removable slot w/ a shell for the head and a 2U sized slot available in the slave amps you could do some pretty creative "Tetris"-ing to get everything to fit into one, although slightly taller, Orange shell.
Jake
"One of the 400"

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:34 am

I would definitely consider a rack setup if it was orange...er...Orange.

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:51 am

Randall already did this. The MTS series...

yeah, be way cool if Orange did it too :D

but, it'll never happen... :?

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:12 pm

The Micro Terror size would serve as a good platform! Make it Solid state power by itself, then switch that circuit off when you plug into the power amp. I'm not an electronics tech so don't ask me how to make that work. JUST DO IT!

alexauxier
Forum Admin

Post by alexauxier » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:31 pm

We can only make so many low wattage amps before we've over-saturated the practice amp market. And then there's the fact that live gigging on a 1 watt amp will just never, ever, ever really work that well.
--
Alex Auxier
Orange Amps
Artist Relations Manager

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:11 pm

alexauxier wrote:We can only make so many low wattage amps before we've over-saturated the practice amp market. And then there's the fact that live gigging on a 1 watt amp will just never, ever, ever really work that well.
I think you may have missed my point a little. I agree with the over saturation of low watt amps, but I think where you could really build market share is with the slave tube amp idea, because I haven't seen anyone else do it.

You could model a few of the large Orange power amp structures (30-100w) but make them a slave unit with a line in AND a power load system. So when it comes time to gig you're only using the pre amp section of your low watt head and the power amp section of the slave unit.

For those who want an Orange pre-amp Orange could produce a line of small watt amps like an RV5, OR5, another AD5 (I know I'd take one of each) and those could be tied into the slave unit for more power. But the slave head also makes way for anyone else out there who would want to run their Fender Champ, Blackstar HT-5, Vox Night Train all at 30-50-100w from a premium tube power amp manufacturer.
Jake
"One of the 400"