OT setting up protools with an echo audiofire 12

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

llldavid
Rocker

OT setting up protools with an echo audiofire 12

Post by llldavid » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:28 pm

hey all. i just got my new pre amp in. its the groove tube brick. Im trying to set it up. running it through a mic and my echo audiofire 12 and connecting the echo to my laptop i downloaded all the drivers installed the programs. and i can get it to come through on my computer but im having trouble getting it to connect to my protools

anybody have any experience that can help?
i own a orange ad140 and a 412 fender super sonic cab
...and a lot of other junk

JoeDAndrea

Re: OT setting up protools with an echo audiofire 12

Post by JoeDAndrea » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Do you already have your IO setup properly done? Anytime I add a new piece of gear or swap out interfaces, I end up trashing my IO setup and starting over. Or if I still have problems, I trash all the preferences, which isn't as big of a deal as it sounds like.

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:44 pm

i have the setting set up in the system preferences but not the IO on protools im not sure how to set it up

JoeDAndrea

Post by JoeDAndrea » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:53 pm

In PT when you have a session open, go to Setup, then down to IO. A dialogue box will open up. From there go to Input. You can make a new path in there for your interface. Set up via FireWire, USB, 1/8" in, Ethernet, and probably a few other connection options as well.

After that, when you put in a new track (Command + Shift + N if you aren't familiar). Make the track pretty big so all the options are there. Above all your tracks, there should be a little triangle you can click on towards the left side of the column. Click I/O to show your I/O of each track. Left is input, Right is output. Click on those, and you should be able to select Interface, which is where yours should be. You can right click on your interface and rename it if you wish as well so you don't need to remember what piece of gear is which IO. You can also select bus for when you use auxes for time based FX and such.

Sorry if I made that really redundant or overly simplistic. I wasn't sure how familiar you are with ProTools :lol:

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:17 pm

im not seeing anyway to assign my new input i made to my echo

JoeDAndrea

Post by JoeDAndrea » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:23 pm

Did you show the IO for each individual track? sometimes it doesn't show up, or is very small and abbreviated, so I'd make it as large as possible

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:28 pm

in the I/O menu i can expand the tracks so it shows the stereo tracks as two monos. im guessing thats in and out. but i still cant set it up with my echo

JoeDAndrea

Post by JoeDAndrea » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 pm

If you're running PT 9 or 10 you can actually do everything you need to do without a physical interface. A lot of what I do, I just run a channel strip into my Line In on my computer. If you have an XLR to 1/8" stereo connection from the output of your pre you can do that. You would select your track's Input to be Input>Interface>Line in 1. Then your Output should just be stereo output for your final output stage. Not sure why your interface isn't showing up properly..

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:39 pm

wait i have a silly question. am i supposed to be connecting the out of the echo to the computer somehow and the firewire or just the firewire?

JoeDAndrea

Post by JoeDAndrea » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:44 pm

I would say that your Ins are for your recording needs. Connecting Mics, guitars, etc. Outs are for your speaker outputs and Cues. If you use something as an insert for an EQ or a Compressor, I'd go out, into gear, into next channel.

For your regular connection, I would connect the Firewire to your computer. I'd use Ins for your mics and guitars. And Outs for my monitors.

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:48 pm

ohh ok thats what i thought im still pretty confused. i mean i dont wanna bypass my echo converter

here is a screen shot of what im seeing in the I/O menu

http://s384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... 0022PM.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JoeDAndrea

Post by JoeDAndrea » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:49 am

That's strange. It looks like everything is set up properly. You should be able to select A-1 or whatever input you want from your tracks. Is your interface and inputs showing up on your tracks? Sometimes if your Preferences aren't set up right, your IOs won't show up right from the drop down menu on each track.

Last time I was working on a session at home, without an interface, I then took it to school to track some new parts. When I got home with the session to continue working, my IOs were all light grey and italicized. I wasn't able to get any output, and my inputs were all messed up. As soon as I cleared out my preferences, everything worked perfectly.

Clearing preferences isn't that big of a deal. You have to delete something like 2 files and a folder from within your library and Avid folder. I would just google it and see exactly what to delete since I don't remember off the top of my head. When you open Pro Tools after that, the files automatically regenerate.

You may have to redo your IO setup though.

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:50 am

well i did look it up and cleared the preferences like u said. but i restarted it and looking at the i/o i still cant make out how to connect it. i also tried reinstalling protools and the drivers... nothing. it wouldnt be the echo drivers right? since it is picking up the microphone on the computer.

i also tried setting up an aggregate device still couldn't. i think ima have to give avid a call

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Are you using Protools 9 or above? I'm pretty sure you can't use non digi stuff with anything before Protools 9.

Great interface btw, I have the Echo 8.

I use Logic and it automatically recognizes my Echo.

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:43 pm

yes it is protools 9 and thanks if only i could get it to run!