Time to Sell My Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Time to Sell My Orange?

Post by ScottyDanger » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:37 am

I know a few of you have moved away from the brand, and I'm not sure if this is finally it for me. I'm really seriously brand loyal, and I've always wanted to play an Orange and it was a huge day when I finally got one.

The thing is, I play almost exclusively clean now. All jangly surfy pop stuff, lots of reverby barre chords and finger-picked folky situations. As far as I understand, there is one amp brand that provides that authentic sound, Fender.

I really wish my Dual Terror could swing it, but I just don't think it can. New tubes and low volume can do it, but it's just not quite right.

Any words of advice for leaving Orange behind? Am I still allowed to wear my Orange T-Shirts? haha

Also, and Fender recommendations? If you don't mind sharing some good fenders you've owned in the past, or currently. I'm looking for a head or combo (2x10, 1x12, 1x15 - NOT a 4x10 or something ridiculously heavy).

I'm gonna sell or trade my DT towards it, maybe throw in my VanAmps Sole-Mate reverb if the new amp has good reverb in it. My cash budget would be $600-800 after selling a nondescript combination of my gear (so as to throw off anyone looking for the price of a DT because that's a thing around here...).

To clarify - I'm not asking anyone here to buy/sell/trade with me. That's actually really inconvenient for me, as the NYC Craigslist is a veritable local goldmine and forums are a hassle.

Anyway...advice, thoughts, etc? Other brands to consider? Secret methods to make my Orange into a Fender-y clean machine? I trust you Orange forum people more than some people on the hUGe boards I'm a member of. Thanks!
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

savage8190
Orange Master

Re: Time to Sell My Orange?

Post by savage8190 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:24 am

My experience...the Fender sound is just not something you'll get close to out of an Orange, especially a terror.

I had a Deville and really liked it a lot, but as I've found with every Fender I've tried, it was too damn loud. Might not be an issue for you, just something about 6L6 amps hits my ears in a weird way.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:53 am

savage8190 wrote:My experience...the Fender sound is just not something you'll get close to out of an Orange, especially a terror.

I had a Deville and really liked it a lot, but as I've found with every Fender I've tried, it was too damn loud. Might not be an issue for you, just something about 6L6 amps hits my ears in a weird way.
Yeah, I don't doubt that! I used to have a Blues Jr though, and it never got loud enough! I did know guys with Devilles and those things had two volumes, dead silent and WAY TOO LOUD. Something about the style of potentiometer on the volume knobs, I believe. Either way, hot rod series is off my radar. I'm thinking Bassman/Bandmaster/etc.

Ideally, I'd like to have something 25-40 watts or so. I think a Princeton would be PERFECT but for some reason those damn things are really expensive.

Also on my radar are Musicman amps. Most of them are hybrids, but I can live with that.

Anything that can double as a bass amp is a plus as well. If I can ditch my crappy low end hartke rig and have one amp for everything, I'd be psyched.

I don't really play out, so this is all home recording/writing/practicing stuff. Everything I do is a two-piece in the vein of She&Him or The Civil Wars, just me and my girlfriend in our Brooklyn apartment.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:54 am

savage8190 wrote:My experience...the Fender sound is just not something you'll get close to out of an Orange, especially a terror.
Played on an Orange SS Combo. :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1244235/GtrStuff/CR301.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:19 am

Gray wrote:
Played on an Orange SS Combo. :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1244235/GtrStuff/CR301.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some Oranges have great cleans (I really like the Rockerverb for it) and ya, that clip is clean, but it still doesn't sound like a Fender.

To the OP...what kind of Fender sound do you want? Im assuming Blackface, and in that case, as much as I love the Bassman, it might not be quite right.

I wouldn't write off the Devilles if I were you if the BJ wasn't loud enough. The new series 3 ones fixed the volume taper and they sound fantastic...and I've never tried anything that takes pedals better if thats your thing. I've played the BJ, Vibrolux, Super Reverb, HR Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb, and Bassman and aside from the Bassman (because I like the tweed tone) the Deville was my favourite. In fact if the came in a head I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:37 am

ScottyDanger wrote: NOT a 4x10 or something ridiculously heavy).
4x10s are generally very light. Actually in most cases a 4x10 will be considerably lighter than a 2x12.

The Bassman is one of the best amps ever made. I now use mine for everything.
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 am

I love the clean channel on my Mesa rectoverb combo. It can be very Fender like.
Stick an EP booster in front and you've got instant clean tone heaven!

If you're specifically after that Fender spring reverb sound though then yeah there's no substitute I don't think.
Paul.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:23 am

ScottyDanger wrote:I know a few of you have moved away from the brand, and I'm not sure if this is finally it for me. I'm really seriously brand loyal, and I've always wanted to play an Orange and it was a huge day when I finally got one.

The thing is, I play almost exclusively clean now. All jangly surfy pop stuff, lots of reverby barre chords and finger-picked folky situations. As far as I understand, there is one amp brand that provides that authentic sound, Fender.

Any words of advice for leaving Orange behind? Am I still allowed to wear my Orange T-Shirts? hahaAnyway...advice, thoughts, etc? Other brands to consider? Secret methods to make my Orange into a Fender-y clean machine? I trust you Orange forum people more than some people on the hUGe boards I'm a member of. Thanks!
Orange amps are great, but they can't do everything. They excel at dirt, and while the cleans can be very nice they are alway still very Orange flavoured, so I can understand your thinking of moving to Fender. Or Music Man too - those s.s preamp valve power amp models are geat sounding amps. Also Hiwatts have fantastic clean sounds - they can do both 'Fender' (with lower mid settings), and 'Marshall' (with more mids).

Only thing worth trying before you do sell the DT is this: try a decent (say 10 band graphic) EQ in front of your amp and see if you can get close enough to the sounds you need. Or alternatively a pedal which with some real strong shaping in the midrange. I've had surprisingly good results with my Tech 21 VT Bass pedal (the 'character' knob is all about the midrange sounds) getting a much more 'Fender' style amp sound with my Rocker 30 amp without the charateristic Orange strong lower mids. Maybe worth at least trying to borrow a graphic EQ anyway and see if that might work for you...

If you specifically want a Fender than I'd be seriously tempted to look for a second hand 40W Deluxe (1x12) or 60W De Ville (2x12 or 4x10) - but the earlier mid '90s 'Blues' versions, pre Hot Rod Series! No, the 4x10 DeVille isn't too heavy, about 23kg - so similar to my Rocker 30 Combo. These were both better built better sounding amps than the later Hot Rod versions. I think the 'Blues' versions have also since been reissued, not sure of any changes.

The 2 x EL84 Blues Junior (or 1x10 Pro Junior - I have both myself) are nice sounding amps, but as you say the 15W isn't really enough for serious cleans live in a louder band. A 40W Blues Deluxe should be though, and the De Ville would cruise even very loud gigs. Both nice amps!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Only Fender do Fender clean. Only Marshall do that warm Marshall overdrive.

I had to make a decision to sell my Orange & Matamp to get the sound I wanted, Marshall.

Sell the Orange, try the Fender. You can always buy another Orange.
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. 22w 1x12. it's exactly what you're looking for. New around $1100 but can be found used for $7-800.
==================================================================

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Re: Time to Sell My Orange?3,5,11,18,2

Post by Woodsie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:37 pm

check this demo out. i love this amp but it's not my style of music right now. it's about $1100 but it's very nice. it has killer power scaling. 3,5,11,18,23 w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay4iAiC3fsk
==================================================================

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:39 pm

The MusicMan HDs are pretty sweet. Good luck to you!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: Time to Sell My Orange?3,5,11,18,2

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:01 pm

Woodsie wrote:check this demo out. i love this amp but it's not my style of music right now. it's about $1100 but it's very nice. it has killer power scaling. 3,5,11,18,23 w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay4iAiC3fsk
WOW awesome demo! :shock:
Paul.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Since you have access to NYC Craigslist you're going to have an easy time finding an amp.

I'd go for a silverface non-master Pro Reverb or Super Reverb. Make sure it's a 45w model. I'd suggest a silverface Deluxe Reverb also but you'll be hard pressed to find one for your budget.

You'll for sure be able to ditch your reverb pedal after getting a Fender with reverb.

If you really want to keep your Orange, just sell that reverb pedal and save a little and get one of those Hot Rods. They aren't as good as the older stuff, but the cleans are ok and they are dirt cheap if you just look around for a bit.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:18 pm

If you really like oranges but want mostly cleans, you should try a rockerverb. And you'll have that massive reverb too.

Otherwise, Fender blues deluxe, deluxe reverb, pro reverb should be your options. A 40w pro reverb should be a good bet - i like the fact that their price should appreciate in the future.

That said, my RV50 with my strat and some reverb is a thing of beauty!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute