Time to Sell My Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Time to Sell My Orange?

Post by jason41224 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:02 pm

i might be the only one who thinks this, but maybe a fender isn't for you. when you say "jangly", i immediately think of vox. fender is more of a deep, clear piano type sound.

it also depends if you want uber clean cleans or just sorta hairy touch-sensitive cleans. in the former, then fender. for the latter, vox.

either way i agree you probably can't coax those tones out of a Dual Terror. an AD30 can absolutely nail the vox sound with slightly more emphasis on the lower mids, but it gets dirty quickly. but if you wanted, maybe you could find an AD30R comb(single channel w/reverb) used and see if it works.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:03 pm

If Fender is what you crave, then by all means get one. Then you will know if it's the right one, I don't use Orange amps, I'm a Marshall guy. Thou if ever get my hands on another old OR again I'll be back. Oh and for the record I do own and LOVE Orange cabs.

BTW, vintage Orange the OR's have insane cleans at any level. but stil it's not Fender tone.

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:19 pm

Keep the DT and buy a Deluxe Reverb or Princeton Reverb kit from http://www.tedweber.com. Use a head version and you'd be golden. I'll get you a dealer discount if you want!

Colonel Sanders

Post by Colonel Sanders » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:39 am

Maybe not time to sell the Orange, but time to buy something different.

Who can live with only one amp anyway...
Fender Precision 1969, Fender Jazz 1975, Rickenbacker 4003 1990 Jetglo, Rickenbacker 4001v63 1997 Fireglo, Rickenbacker 4003 2011 Mapleglo, Steinberger L2 1983, Orange AD200B mk3/OBC115, Eden WT550/410XLT.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Taronja wrote:If Fender is what you crave, then by all means get one. Then you will know if it's the right one, I don't use Orange amps, I'm a Marshall guy. Thou if ever get my hands on another old OR again I'll be back. Oh and for the record I do own and LOVE Orange cabs.

BTW, vintage Orange the OR's have insane cleans at any level. but stil it's not Fender tone.

Jon
And Thank the Lord they aren't :wink:

Lets face it though to be fair, the clean sounds of the original Terror series were at the bottom of the list of priorities on their design brief...
I would agree with Jason on Vox been more of a 'jangly' sound too. When I think Fender I think Country music first and foremost.
Paul.

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:58 pm

I for one like the Orange-coloured cleans on the Nautral channel Rocker 30. Not much else needs to be said about Fender and clean tone since everyone knows the reputation, I always liked something with a little more character but still bright and clean. Despite Oranges being rather dark amps you can still get that, in my experience. Depends on the guitar too.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:24 am

^even the difference between the R30's natural channel and the AD30 set clean is HUGE. i think a lot of it has to do with the powertubes. the AD30 sounds very AC30esque, wheras the R30's more middy, with a lot less presence. i guess the word "marshally" cleans are about the closest i can think of. at low volume's, it's perfect for jazz with a humbucker-equipped guitar on the neck pup. wheras the AD's cleans sound incredible with a tele and a dash of reverb.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

brettsgears

Post by brettsgears » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:58 am

The Peavey classic 50 4x10 is great amp for a great clean sound , also handles pedals really well and has a really nice reverb. Best of all they are quite cheap , new or used.

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:05 am

Woodsie wrote:Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. 22w 1x12. it's exactly what you're looking for. New around $1100 but can be found used for $7-800.
very good suggestion. also consider a twin. tons of headroom with plenty of dirt if needed. if you get a twin, get a reissue or one with a MV mod.

i just snagged a deluxe reissue about 6 months ago. it's a cool amp. i haven't used it much but it does the "fender" thing quite well.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

3l3phantstomp
Tiny Terror

Post by 3l3phantstomp » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm the second generation of a family of fender amps on guitar. Check out the Fender Stage 112se, from the 90's (se=anniversary). Great cleans, great reverb spring box, portable, versitile, gets dirty if you need it, cheap used Dad uses it, Uncle uses it, cousin (my guitarist) uses it.

I know, I know, its solid state. I'm a tube guy, i went from a 70's ampeg V4b to my Orange Terror bass rig. It pains me to suggest it. My cousin stopped using the family heirloom Fender Dual Showman head to rock the 112se. And so did my Dad and my Uncle. Why?

Less than 200 to find out!!!
tube huffer

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:50 pm

If you want a solid state amp that's cheap and sounds great. Try the Roland Jazz Chorus JC-120. Unbelievable clean tone. Slash used one to record some clean parts on Appetite. Paradise City, I believe. I think I saw where SRV had one too. Used like $400. Then you can keep your Orange.
==================================================================

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:42 pm

3l3phantstomp wrote:I'm the second generation of a family of fender amps on guitar. Check out the Fender Stage 112se, from the 90's (se=anniversary). Great cleans, great reverb spring box, portable, versitile, gets dirty if you need it, cheap used Dad uses it, Uncle uses it, cousin (my guitarist) uses it.

I know, I know, its solid state. I'm a tube guy, i went from a 70's ampeg V4b to my Orange Terror bass rig. It pains me to suggest it. My cousin stopped using the family heirloom Fender Dual Showman head to rock the 112se. And so did my Dad and my Uncle. Why?

Less than 200 to find out!!!
I used to have that amp. It's not too bad for what it is.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:22 pm

Whoa, thanks for the insane amounts of help, guys!

Unfortunately there is no situation where I can keep the orange, the tax man is taking away $500 this year which kinda fudges up my situation.

I did some research and found that there's a 65 Princeton reissue that sells at my local place for $800. As long as the orange and sole-mate sell, I can totally swing that, and maybe even pick up a nice overdrive pedal! I also may be able to keep my whitebox cab and use that for some extra stage volume down the road, and as something to plug a tiny terror into one day in the future.

I'll look into the deluxe reverb as well, but Id have to go use to get that in the same price range. Either way, there are examples of both amps on my Craigslist and in my local stores.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:25 pm

There is really no reason to be a "brandwhore" when you think about it. Loyalty means nothing if you are not loyal to yourself first and foremost.

If you know the sound coming out of your amp is not exactly what you want, then ditch it. After all it's just a material object and can be replaced if need be.

Find what you like and go with that, regardless of who's name is on the label. You'll still be allowed on the forums :wink:

-Joe (former brand whore and gear snob)
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:49 pm

misterMagoo wrote:There is really no reason to be a "brandwhore" when you think about it. Loyalty means nothing if you are not loyal to yourself first and foremost.

If you know the sound coming out of your amp is not exactly what you want, then ditch it. After all it's just a material object and can be replaced if need be.

Find what you like and go with that, regardless of who's name is on the label. You'll still be allowed on the forums :wink:

-Joe (former brand whore and gear snob)
Hi, my name is Matt (Hi Matt) and I'm a brand whore and a gear snob. :wink:

i do have a Squier Tele but it's relegated to mostly backup duties for now. it's a great guitar, i just like my "Fender" Strat and my "Gibson" Les Paul better.
==================================================================