THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Taronja
Orange Master

Re: THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD

Post by Taronja » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Tango wrote:
jason41224 wrote:see, i love both the beatles and hendrix. so i don't get that. i like jimi better, but still the beatles were awesome.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no huge Beatles fan by any means but Hendrix has never interested me at all. I appreciate that loads of people like what he did, it's just I don't.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47433" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:11 am

i've been addicted to this link since you posted it because i remember all that stuff.

if you watch closely you can see that lennon really had some chops and his timing is impeccable. from that video you can see that paul kept everyone in line, but lennon's playing is indeed impressive. check out "she's a woman", his cuts are spot on.

how nice it would have been to see lennon with his epi and a fender princeton down in new orleans in some dive, ad libbing some blues.

i saw tommy johnston do that once and it was great.

great link.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:09 am

The Beatles don't get much respect these days. Abbey Road was a brilliant album. Not my kind of thing and i haven;t listened in years, but it proved they could write some interesting music. The earlier stuff not so much. Paul McCartney was pretty under rated as a bass player, but i guess he was just ripping off Brian Wilson's harmonic style anyway.

Best band in the world has to go to Mr. Bungle, purely for Disco Volante, at least as far as major label bands go. That was the most creative, whacked out, masterfully composed and forward thinking album ever put out by a major label.
I'm sure no one will agree, but anyone who understands music has to at least give them the respect, even if it is "weird".
Estradasphere were pretty incredible when they existed too. Jason Schimmel is easily the most under appreciated guitar player around, he can do any style on the planet and is an improvisational mastermind. Just never got famous!

FFXIhealer

Post by FFXIhealer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Best band in the world = AC/DC

There's gotta be a reason that Back in Black is the 2nd-highest selling album of all time.

The 1st-highest selling album is Thriller, but let's face it: it's Thriller.
2007 Marshall JVM410H + 1960A Lead
2011 Fender Mustang V + V412
2010 Fender Mustang II
1985 Marshall Lead 12 3005
2011 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2009 Fender American Special Stratocaster
2007 Hagstrom Ultra-Swede
Custom Warmoth Strat

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:21 pm

I once saw these guys called "THE WORST BAND IN THE WORLD" on YouTube. I disagree personally, and would like to see whoever said that write music like this and play it this well...

Prog heads will enjoy:
http://youtu.be/NR-qy0fp65I

Behold...the Arctopus, they just put up a vid of new stuff too, which sounds like it will be immense!

DiabloS
Orange Master

THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD

Post by DiabloS » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:35 pm

fiaj wrote:I once saw these guys called "THE WORST BAND IN THE WORLD" on YouTube. I disagree personally, and would like to see whoever said that write music like this and play it this well...

Prog heads will enjoy:
http://youtu.be/NR-qy0fp65I

Behold...the Arctopus, they just put up a vid of new stuff too, which sounds like it will be immense!
My previous band actually opened for them once. Quote of the night from my old keyboard player "they kinda sound like Dream Theater falling down the stairs" :lol:
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:57 pm

Haha. I for one think Dream Theater would sound a lot better whilst falling down some stairs.
I saw these guys (Arctopus) once and there were about two people in the crowd getting into it and everyone else was rather bemused by the whole thing. Amazing show though, really good live but i can see why most people can't get their heads around it.
Much better than the two times i saw Dream Theater's displays of public masturbation. No offence to fans...
if you think this is bad, check out Orthrelm, they truly are just noodling horror.

Back on topic with the Beatles though, i always thought they were Evil... now i'm becoming thoroughly convinced:

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:09 pm

fiaj wrote:Haha. I for one think Dream Theater would sound a lot better whilst falling down some stairs.
I saw these guys (Arctopus) once and there were about two people in the crowd getting into it and everyone else was rather bemused by the whole thing. Amazing show though, really good live but i can see why most people can't get their heads around it.
Much better than the two times i saw Dream Theater's displays of public masturbation. No offence to fans...
if you think this is bad, check out Orthrelm, they truly are just noodling horror.

Back on topic with the Beatles though, i always thought they were Evil... now i'm becoming thoroughly convinced:
Yeah, it was about the same when we played with them. A few guys were travelling to every one of their shows within a few hours drive to see them a few nights in a row. And the other people there were impressed with their playing ability but probably didn't even consider it music. I stand somewhere in the middle, I appreciate and respect it for what it is but I wouldn't listen to it really.

And to stay on topic with the Beatles, I'm on the 4th part of watching the Beatles Anthology right now, I started last week. I'm a rockumentary junkie so it's cool to have that many hours to watch!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Yeah, i'm almost mixed on Arctopus. I never listen to it, love it for the wackiness of some of the composition, not for the technicality. Anyone can sit in a corner playing all day and get techy, the real talent is in the ability of expression or artistic creation, composition, songwriting etc.

I do listen to Dysrhythmia a lot though, the Arctopus Warr player is their bassist. It's still kind of techy, but not in the same way. It's very complex, but doesn't impose that upon you, it's very listenable. Their guitarist (Kevin Hufnagel) has a totally unique and refreshing approach, i'd say they are one of the "best bands in the world" right now for true progression and taste.

Even if you had disliked Arctopus you should check out Dysrhythmia.

And back to the Beatles, Yellow Submarine film was the shodizzle yo!
Last edited by fiaj on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:34 am

more "Best Bands in the World" who have really progressed music in their respective genres, not just repeated themselves every year:

-The Beach Boys (not my thing, but Brian Wilson was undoubtedly a genius, check out "Smile"),
-Alamaailman Vasarat,
-Secret Chiefs 3,
-'73-'75 line-up of King Crimson (without the silly flat singing)
-Cleric (if you like metal, check these guys... it is insane how well they compose an album!)
-Miles Davis' various bands between '65 & '75
-Electric Masada,
-Koby Israelite Band,
-Dysrhythmia,
-Parliament,
-Mahavishnu Orchestra,
-Anthony Braxton's Diamond Curtain Wall Trio,
-Gruppo di Improvvisazione di Nuova Consonanza
-Blind Idiot God,
-Invisibl Skratch Piklz (all on turntables, but like an amazing Jazz ensemble in their best moments)
-The Deserts of Träun,
-Gorguts (Obscura line-up)
-Naked City
-Orange Tulip Conspiracy,
-Cryptopsy (for None so Vile, they've lost it since then)
-Cephalic Carnage (for Exploiting Dysfunction),
-Gravetemple (Best Doom),
-Zu

Even bands i really dislike such as Radiohead, Muse, Talking Heads etc deserve to be up there above AC/DC and the Stones. The Beatles played their part though, they were forward thinking and trying to do something different.
And Hendrix should be in the list, again not my thing, but he was one of the first to start pushing the limits on how to play a guitar and his albums moved things forward for a lot of musicians.

People should keep chiming in, who are the best?
Am i wrong in thinking that AC/DC and the Rolling Stones did nothing for music other than write some catchy songs for people to sing and drink to?
Do record sales define who is the "Best"? I can't deny the greatness of Thriller... but i thought Led Zep IV was the highest seller...
Does technicality actually mean anything other than that you play a lot?
Has anyone actually heard "Disco Volante" by Mr. Bungle? (my idea of the best band in the world)
Was Miles Davis the Earthly incarnation of God?
Should onions and shallots be treated as equals in our society?

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:19 am

all things considered the beatles was/is it.

johnny cash influenced many a folk and elvis twisted and turned on tv.

but it was the beatles. they did it. they got it on the radio at the time.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyu5sFzWLk8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My favourite Beatles track.