Sell Rocker 30 combo for new OR50 head?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

CHAZSUNDANCE

Sell Rocker 30 combo for new OR50 head?

Post by CHAZSUNDANCE » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:56 pm

I'm debating selling my Rocker 30 1x12 combo (black) for the new OR50 head.
has anyone played one and would the gain section be similar or at least capable
for heavy rock?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Sell Rocker 30 combo for new OR50 head?

Post by a.hun » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:02 pm

I'd never sell my R.30C if I could possibly avoid it. In fact I'd quite like another one, especially in black. Small world...

Sorry though, I don't NEED a second one, so that probably won't ever happen. I'd really LIKE one though... :wink:

Don't know how the OR50 really compares. It'd have to be very special to significantly better the R.30 IMO.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:01 pm

I had the Rocker 30 head a few years back, and I got the new OR50 head four days ago.

I like the OR50 more than the Rocker 30. Hard to put into words what the differences are, but I would say it is more "open", less compressed. Responds great to playing dynamics, and never looses control with the master volume all the way up. I play mostly heavy stuff, it really shines in that department. I also like the fact that it lets more of my guitar's own tone through, and respons really great when switching between neck/bridge pickup, adjusting the guitar volume/tone pots etc... I can go from stoner fuzz to shred without ever touching the controls on the amp.

Oh, and you HAVE to play it with the master volume on full tilt, or you'll offend it... ;)

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:22 pm

interesting...

the OR50 (or a Retro 50) is the one thing I'd consider trading my TV50 for...

this thread is relevant to my interests.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

CHAZSUNDANCE

Post by CHAZSUNDANCE » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:56 pm

It's a hard decision for me I really do love my RK30 its been a great amp (and not available)
However I like the more "Open" sound and less compression plus I need the extra wattage.
Thanks for your thoughts on the amp and on helping me decide, keep em coming.

The OR50H won't be available until about May so I have some time to decide

BaBaBooey
Tiny Terror

Post by BaBaBooey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:24 am

I agree that the OR is more suited for heavy stuff. I love my Rockerverb, but i was thinking about going towards the new OR or TV... I think those fit my style better than the RV... That being said, I'm just happy to own an Orange, no matter what model!

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:38 am

Dark Helmet wrote:interesting...

the OR50 (or a Retro 50) is the one thing I'd consider trading my TV50 for...

this thread is relevant to my interests.
You ever wanna send that TV somewhere I'd be glad to take care of it for ya :). I'm dying to try one...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:01 am

GummiTZ wrote:I had the Rocker 30 head a few years back, and I got the new OR50 head four days ago.

I like the OR50 more than the Rocker 30. Hard to put into words what the differences are, but I would say it is more "open", less compressed. Responds great to playing dynamics, and never looses control with the master volume all the way up. I play mostly heavy stuff, it really shines in that department. I also like the fact that it lets more of my guitar's own tone through, and respons really great when switching between neck/bridge pickup, adjusting the guitar volume/tone pots etc... I can go from stoner fuzz to shred without ever touching the controls on the amp.
Fair enough, preferences are personal. Difficult to imagine a much less compressed amp than the R.30 though. Guess you meant something slightly different.
Oh, and you HAVE to play it with the master volume on full tilt, or you'll offend it... ;)
Really? Thought that was just the vintage ORs and that they'd fixed that... :wink: :lol:

I really don't know much about the OR50 having never played it myself. Nice that it has the presence control ("HF Drive"), which is a bonus on any amp. But it still seems like a missed opportunity to resurrect the brilliant 2 band Baxendall EQ and FAC switch of the vintage ones. These simple features all worked brilliantly together and made for an unusually versatile amp. How 'OR like' the new ones really are without those circuit features I don't know, but the R.30 certainly at least had the uncompressed dynamics and fiery attitude of the vintage ORs. If the new ORs turn out to have that too I'd be much more interested.

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:32 am

a.hun wrote:
GummiTZ wrote: I like the OR50 more than the Rocker 30. Hard to put into words what the differences are, but I would say it is more "open", less compressed.
Fair enough, preferences are personal. Difficult to imagine a much less compressed amp than the R.30 though. Guess you meant something slightly different.
I suppose it depends on what we put into the term "compressed". Regardsless, I think R30-users would like the OR50, and I urge you to take one for a spin. They are not very different, but the OR50 just feels a little more ballsy and "in control".

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:41 am

GummiTZ wrote: I suppose it depends on what we put into the term "compressed". Regardsless, I think R30-users would like the OR50, and I urge you to take one for a spin. They are not very different, but the OR50 just feels a little more ballsy and "in control".
'Compressed' has a fairly specific meaning. Discussed here:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 37#p561237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and just last week here:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... ed#p571754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I daresay I'd like the OR50 a lot, but to be honest with an original OR and a R.30C (both near perfect fits for me) it might just be a bit surplus to my needs... :wink:

Love to try one though. Great looking amp, and nice and simple which is usually a great sign.

Andy.

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Oh, and you HAVE to play it with the master volume on full tilt, or you'll offend it... ;)[/quote]
He's joking. The OR 50 plays real well with the MV.
I've never actually opened mine all the way up. It would offend the band, the club and whats left of my hearing.

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:21 pm

a.hun wrote: 'Compressed' has a fairly specific meaning. Discussed here:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 37#p561237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and just last week here:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... ed#p571754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OK, I understand. That was what I meant then. The OR50 feels/sounds less compressed than the R30 (IMHO).

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Eddie Famine wrote: He's joking. The OR 50 plays real well with the MV.
I've never actually opened mine all the way up. It would offend the band, the club and whats left of my hearing.
Hehe, I was actually not joking. :D

You are right though, it does sound really good with the MV low, compared to many other amps. But my-oh-my, when I DO blast it full on... Never heard anything like it... :p

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:22 pm

GummiTZ wrote:
a.hun wrote: 'Compressed' has a fairly specific meaning. Discussed here:
and just last week here:
OK, I understand. That was what I meant then. The OR50 feels/sounds less compressed than the R30 (IMHO).
Well that is impressive then. As I say the R.30 is one of the least compressed amps I have ever played. (Just like the OR120 and my Hiwatt that way.)

Andy.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:08 am

I own both and generally favor the OR50, though the Rocker 30 is probably the better choice for an original/unique sound. I would rather use the OR50 for covers or straight-up rock tones since it is a bit more "M*rshally".

I would have to agree that the R30 sounds much more open and three-dimensional, which could be attributed to the cathode-biased power section. It is much less forgiving as a result, so the OR50 would instantly make you a better player by hiding half of your mistakes :D .

You will NOT notice any meaningful increase in volume from the OR50. In fact, the taper on the volume pot actually makes it quieter than the Rocker 30 with the same volume settings until you really crank it. Both amps run two EL34s and similar transformers, so they shouldn't really be much different in volume just because one is cathode-biased.

If you need more volume and/or bass response, I would strongly suggest trying out the TH100 and RV100. Depending on your budget, a used RV100 might still be within reach.