Tell me how you would get there.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Tell me how you would get there.

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:30 pm

Here's the scenario,

You have a Tele or a Gretsch (Not specific to the hypothetical though)
and
You're playing through an AD30 or a TT
and
You have a Budda Budwah
and
You are playing 4.5 hour gigs where you need a clean-ish (edge of break-up some may say) for the vast majority of the tunes but for a couple of tunes you plan on butchering some Hendrix with some of his heavier OD tones.

Short of "go out and get a Marshall" how would you get the best Hendrix tone out of that set up? We are looking for ballpark tones here, not spot on since, well let's face it, they're drunk and I don't have the chops.

Also acceptable answers:
Go out and get a Marshall
Stop butchering Hendrix for the love of god!
The 60s ended, get over it.
:P
Last edited by Thinline_slim on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jackincaves
Rocker

Re: Tell me how you would get there.

Post by jackincaves » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Wah + Octavia?
The band - FOR EYES - http://www.facebook.com/foreyesband

First Act Delia -> Joyo Ultimate Drive -> Napalm Volume -> Line6 DL4 -> MXR Smart Gate -> Rocker 30 -> PPC212 + Matamp 4x12

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:55 pm

jackincaves wrote:Wah + Octavia?
Good points! I forgot to say I did have a wah. Really trying to get the dirt tone somehow.
Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 pm

If you aren't needing to play note perfect in a tribute band then I'd just say get a low gain overdrive pedal and set your amp to clean.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:07 pm

EP Booster, Budwah, El Capistan, AD30 :D

If I had it of course :lol:
Have you had a look at Xotics RC Booster or BB preamp BTW?
Paul.

jackincaves
Rocker

Post by jackincaves » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:
jackincaves wrote:Wah + Octavia?
Good points! I forgot to say I did have a wah. Really trying to get the dirt tone somehow.
Mess around with having the wah set permanently midway somewhere; I reckon if you find a sweet spot it could be along the right lines if used with a relatively low gain OD like OU818 said.
The band - FOR EYES - http://www.facebook.com/foreyesband

First Act Delia -> Joyo Ultimate Drive -> Napalm Volume -> Line6 DL4 -> MXR Smart Gate -> Rocker 30 -> PPC212 + Matamp 4x12

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 am

Fender Fuzz-Wah

You twist your foot to adjust the fuzz level, and you can leave the wah off or set it midway and forget it. It's not really built for quick back-and-forth wah action, so you would still want to use your Budwah as usual. How big is your pedalboard :D ?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:58 am

I'd simply walk over and turn the gain up on the AD....

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:45 am

^same here. or just grab a good fuzz pedal. fulltone Octafuzz would get you in the ballpark, even with the octave switched out.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:06 pm

OrangePaul wrote:EP Booster, Budwah, El Capistan, AD30 :D

If I had it of course :lol:
Have you had a look at Xotics RC Booster or BB preamp BTW?
Hey, I have a set up just like that! :lol:

I haven't looked at the Xotics. I'll do some looking but I haven't seen any of their pedals mentioned for distortion, heavy OD or fuzz but that doesn't really mean anything.
Randy Bass wrote:Fender Fuzz-Wah
Ok, that's just cool. If it beat out my budda wah then I would consider it but as of today there's not enough space on the board for another full sized pedal like that.
bclaire wrote:I'd simply walk over and turn the gain up on the AD....
Sure, if I want to be practical about it. :lol:

Actually, I've really thought about setting up channel 2 as my Hendrix channel, which I think could be done. The downside with going that route is I also take the Black Pearl 30 and THD Flexi to gig often and they don't have an Orange AD30 Ch2 built in.

BUT another thing I could do, since I'm already taking my TT as a back up to every gig, it easily could be set up as a Hendrix amp..... hmmmm, that just came to me.....

And now on to pedals
jackincaves wrote:Mess around with having the wah set permanently midway somewhere; I reckon if you find a sweet spot it could be along the right lines if used with a relatively low gain OD like OU818 said.
jason41224 wrote:^same here. or just grab a good fuzz pedal. fulltone Octafuzz would get you in the ballpark, even with the octave switched out.
I do currently play with an OCD and a Zendrive on the board but for this project the Zendrive has to come off. It can produce such a killer lead tone but it's pretty trebley and it doesn't work with my Tele neck pickup.

The OCD sounds great (Lo setting)as a low OD so that's what I typically use it for with the Oranges. Kind of a heavier blues tone. The Hi setting would work pretty well for the Hendrix tone but I'm not wild about it.

So what did I do? I found a Fulltone Catalyst on ebay yesterday and I thought I would take a chance. For $93 I can't be too bad off. The fact that it has it's own EQ settings was a huge plus since that seems to be the biggest factor in getting an OD pedal to work with Oranges for me.

If that doesn't work I'm going to check out the Plimsoul, '69 and Octafuzz. So far I've been very happy with the OCD so I'm comfortable sticking with Fulltone for now.

Any other suggestions?
Jake
"One of the 400"

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Hendrix tone is all about clean (with a smidge of hair) and Fuzzy/ugly. The beauty comes from the playing not the raw tone generator.

Don't try to over think this.
Here we go; three, four...