To All Paul Reed Smith Owners...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bradley9in
Tiny Terror

To All Paul Reed Smith Owners...

Post by bradley9in » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:35 pm

I've always wanted a PRS Custom 24, and my wife, being the sweet, understanding woman that she is gave me permission to get one in a few months. However, that is a ton of money to drop on one guitar so I'm starting to question whether or not it's worth it. Yeah, I'm getting old, I know.

So, to the PRS owners...How do you like it? Would you purchase again? Any buyers remorse? Also, how has it stood up over time? How would you compare it to other top brands? Please feel free to give me any other comments that might persuade me one way or the other. Oh, and I'm not interested in the SE models.

Thanks!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: To All Paul Reed Smith Owners...

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:43 pm

You could always get a near mint 2nd hand one.

A bit cheaper, and if you ge cold feet later on, you could recoup all your investment.

I've not really liked any PRS I tried so far, but that could have a lot to do with the blackstars i've tried them on.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Buy another custom. :D
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:37 pm

[2] Buy another custom.

bradley9in
Tiny Terror

Post by bradley9in » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:18 pm

Alex Sheeny wrote:[2] Buy another custom.
HAHA! I love my LP Customs, but I'd like to get something that offers some different sounds. I was looking at Fender single coils for a bit, or something with P90s, and then I came back to the PRS Custom 24s. I love the 5-switch blade that can switch between humbucker and single coil. Very useful.

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:22 pm

Every PRS I've played was like an anchor and I thought they were uninspiring...they sure are pretty though. My 2 cents; you want something different, get a tele or a gretsch.

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:40 pm

hahaha yeah, i got what you meant.

well, idk if you're looking specifically for super high-end guitars (not in terms of tone, but in general quality/price). The two guitars I'll look hard to get when i'll be able to are not in the PRS/Gibson Custom price range but they're superb.

the first one is the G&L ASAT Special, which has a very rich tone. this video shows what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyN614y5ar0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the other one is on a lower price range but omg, it's a total beauty. i was astonished when I first saw it, the Hagstrom Super Swede Tremar with P90's : http://www.hagstromguitars.eu/index.php ... &Itemid=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:02 pm

PRS doesn't get a lot of love around here, which is OK. It is a very good guitar, but it doesn't nail the Fender sound in the single coil mode. I didn't like the 5 position rotary and changed it to a 3 way toggle, with push/pull controls. Easier to use.
Put in Bare Knuckle Mules and love them. I've had it for 15 years, and have played many other guitars in between, it more than holds it's own.
It's not an LP, it's not a Tele. It is what it is and you may like it. Try one.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Alex Sheeny wrote:hahaha yeah, i got what you meant.

well, idk if you're looking specifically for super high-end guitars (not in terms of tone, but in general quality/price). The two guitars I'll look hard to get when i'll be able to are not in the PRS/Gibson Custom price range but they're superb.

the first one is the G&L ASAT Special, which has a very rich tone. this video shows what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyN614y5ar0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the other one is on a lower price range but omg, it's a total beauty. i was astonished when I first saw it, the Hagstrom Super Swede Tremar with P90's : http://www.hagstromguitars.eu/index.php ... &Itemid=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh well thank you very much...

Here I am, finally cured of GAS...

Now I am wanting a Hagstrom Tremar Super Swede P90
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:21 pm

forget the PRS. get a G&L ASAT (tele) and a G&L Legacy (strat), and for less money than you would've paid for the PRS you could have two INCREDIBLE single coil guitars to offset your LPCs.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:00 am

Secondly, I just wanted to say..... Buying a long standing dream is great. My Les Paul isn't a custom anything, just a lowly standard faded, but i've felt great owning it from the word go. Still marvel at it.

Thirdly, in the price bracket of a PRS custom 24, you could consider a Vigier Excalibur or GV Wood.... You should google them, the GV wood has been winning all sorts of guitar of the year prizes - same 5 way blade switch as PRS custom too.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:40 am

I've tried to like PRS, as one of the most respected guitar players I know plays one, and he raves on his to me when I ask about it. But, they just fall short whenever I pick them up. I just can't get on with their neck, and they just feel generic to me if that makes sense. It seems they're more consistent, which is not a bad thing, but I never find a gem when I try them out. whereas with other makes of guitars, especially fender, gibson, and yes some Hagstroms, I've found some that were just magical when I played them. (although, I've found many of them to be bad as well)...........It should be noted that I'm not a pro player, or even one worthy of advice really.

It's all personal preference, dude. If you have the money, and it feels right go for it. If you're second guessing it, sit on the money for a good while, sleep on it for as many nights as it takes, and then re-evaluate it. I try to do this on any big purchase, and it curbs the impulses, which can lead to regrets later. If the wife has to be on board, then take the money right now, while she is agreeing, and put it in another account or safe place, tell her that you are going to use it for the guitar, but want to try out as many as possible and get the best one, which may take a while. That way she can't change her mind later.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

bradley9in
Tiny Terror

Post by bradley9in » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:38 am

ironlung40 wrote:I've tried to like PRS, as one of the most respected guitar players I know plays one, and he raves on his to me when I ask about it. But, they just fall short whenever I pick them up. I just can't get on with their neck, and they just feel generic to me if that makes sense. It seems they're more consistent, which is not a bad thing, but I never find a gem when I try them out. whereas with other makes of guitars, especially fender, gibson, and yes some Hagstroms, I've found some that were just magical when I played them. (although, I've found many of them to be bad as well)...........It should be noted that I'm not a pro player, or even one worthy of advice really.

It's all personal preference, dude. If you have the money, and it feels right go for it. If you're second guessing it, sit on the money for a good while, sleep on it for as many nights as it takes, and then re-evaluate it. I try to do this on any big purchase, and it curbs the impulses, which can lead to regrets later. If the wife has to be on board, then take the money right now, while she is agreeing, and put it in another account or safe place, tell her that you are going to use it for the guitar, but want to try out as many as possible and get the best one, which may take a while. That way she can't change her mind later.
That's actually a really great idea! And I trust you because you say even Jesus hates Creed, which is obviously true. :lol: No joke though, I'll just put the money aside until I've played a bunch of guitars and if I find one I like better than a PRS I may get it. Finding the right guitar that really sings to you usually subdues the fear of buyers remorse.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:02 am

Look into Carvin's California Carved Top guitars. If the flavor of body styling and all that suits you, you can get a pimped out guitar for under $1800 or so. Really nifty stuff.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/carvedtop.php

It's worth looking at.

GuitaristZ0S0
Orange Hero

Post by GuitaristZ0S0 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:00 am

I have a prs ce24 which is the same as a cu24 but with a bolt on neck (and is discontinued now) I love mine though! I find in positions 9 and 7 that if you bring down the tone a bit you can nail some pretty good strat and tele tones, and with the tone all the way up you get a little more unique sounds. Quality is superb and it stays in tune like no other.
Equip:
2002 PRS CE 24
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Lil Night Train
Marshall 4x12