Learning new tunings.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Learning new tunings.

Post by Mrjones2004x » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:06 pm

So I tuned to open g like Keith Richards and had a play round with brown sugar which was fun. Was my first alternative tuning except drop d and e flat.

My question, where can I learn cords for alternative tunings? All cord books I've seen are written for standard tuning. Any web sites which may be handy?

Cheers

Chord not cord lol
Tone is everything

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: Learning new tunings.

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote:So I tuned to open g like Keith Richards and had a play round with brown sugar which was fun. Was my first alternative tuning except drop d and e flat.

My question, where can I learn cords for alternative tunings? All cord books I've seen are written for standard tuning. Any web sites which may be handy?

Cheers

Chord not cord lol
I thought the whole idea of Open G was so you didn't have to learn chords :lol:

You might find this of some help... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9msbuNTp ... re=related
Paul.

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:09 pm

you can also start by picking a root note, tuning one string to it, and then tuning the others around that note. nothing's better than your ears. that goes for all facets of guitar playing. you can really come up with some interesting tunings with crazy dissonances using your ears, and understand what's actually happening to make those tunings.
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:13 pm

I need to sit down with open g and work out minors and 7th ect. Can't be to hard really. I like the sound of it so far has a different character to std tuning.
Picked up a rat modified bugera v5 which nails the 60's and 70's sounds really well so I'm chuffed at the minute.

Good advice above, Ive learned alot of basic chords but then I just put my fingers where I want and see if it sounds good. If not move about till I like some thing lol.
In std tuning I like the chord
5 (E)
7 (a)
5 (d)
5 (g)
5 (b)
7 (e)
Dunno what it is but I like it lol
Tone is everything

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:55 pm

if you haven't tried out DADGAD or DADF#AD, you owe yourself to try it. i love open D tunings.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:47 pm

I've been learning D6 tuning (DADF#Be) and this site has been enormously helpful: http://www.jamplay.com/tools/guitar-chords" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If they have chords for D6, then I'm sure they'll have chords for any other tuning you can imagine!
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:48 pm

I'll try them thanks. But how do you learn chord shapes? Scales? By ear or theory?
Tone is everything

colfaxrev
Orange Expert

Post by colfaxrev » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:15 pm

just experiment. have a recorder next to you incase you write something amazing by accident
http://animalbeast.fm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote:I'll try them thanks. But how do you learn chord shapes? Scales? By ear or theory?
sorta both. i learned bass before i learned guitar, so i didn't learn scales. i learned each and every note on the fretboard (ex. A string 11th fret=Ab/G#) and then scales came after that. so when playing around in a different tuning, i just figure out what notes are being affected by the altered strings and then find those notes on the fretboard. a lot of memorization is involved, though.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

BaBaBooey
Tiny Terror

Post by BaBaBooey » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:45 am

Get Led Zeppelin III and other Zep some throughout their albums and try to learn them... That will teach you everything you need to know about open tunings... That's what i did. As well as The Black Crowes... Some of their stuff sounds super complicated, but it's easy as pie with open tuning.