got a new, well not so new Gibby.... UPDATED WITH PHOTOS....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Taronja
Orange Master

got a new, well not so new Gibby.... UPDATED WITH PHOTOS....

Post by Taronja » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:22 pm

scored a 1972 Les Paul Delux thats been routed for buckers. but hell, its a SEVENTY TWO!!!!!! :P :P :P

heres my story!

to say the least, im pretty stoked. for many years i had a 75 Custom and i sold it for some crazy reason i still can figure out, went on to buy a Fender custom shop relic hand built by Vince Cunetto, it was a 51 Nocaster. insane awesome guitar but i could not go on without my long lost 75 LP. well eventually i sold the Nocaster and bought the next best thing to my old 75 and that was a 1998 Gibson LP Standard 58 reissue, this axe has been my new baby till two days ago when she took a fall and the neck/headstock cracked :| :cry: :|

the next morning i decided to put it on craigslist for $800 and i sold it within hours 8)

took the cash to a local mom and pop shop in my area, Rockin Bobs in Somerville, MA usa. and there she was :oops:

she's was bit more than $800 but none the less, now shes mine :P

she still in the store, i owe a few more bucks, im going to pick her up tomorrow. CANT WAIT!!!!

**** I removed the Deluxe truss cover and replaced it with a blank.

Jon
Last edited by Taronja on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: got a new, well not so new Gibby....

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:25 pm

That's one sweet looking Gibson. Congrats Man!
Paul.

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:29 pm

OrangePaul wrote:That's one sweet looking Gibson. Congrats Man!
Thanks man, that sig pic is pretty darn nice.

wow, its been a long while since iv been on here. i used to be on here daily!!!!

Jon
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:46 pm

Let us know how you feel it compares to your 98 Standard when you've had it a while. Will be interesting to hear...
Paul.

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:00 pm

well when i played it at the store, its was a better player than my 98 right off the bat, my 98 has a slight fret buzzing issues anyway. im surley going to have to use it in full throttle to be able to give any good reviews on it. its a heavy guitar as it should be but it was slightly lighter than my 98 and my 75 but still had a good amount of weight to it.

Jon
Member since 2005

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:32 pm

Great score. In a perfect world, a Deluxe wouldn't have the pickups swapped out for enlarged-hole humbuckers. But hey - it's already done so no worries! Bet it sounds better with 'buckers than it did with the mini 'buckers!

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:13 am

bclaire wrote:Great score. In a perfect world, a Deluxe wouldn't have the pickups swapped out for enlarged-hole humbuckers. But hey - it's already done so no worries! Bet it sounds better with 'buckers than it did with the mini 'buckers!
Yeah, I got a great deal because of the hacking, stuff like that does not bother me in the least. its a pretty bad ass 40 year old Gibson, and yeah the mini buckers can go. I'm far more happy with full size PUPS in there, especially with the style of music I play. The guitar plays like a Vintage Paul and that's what I'm after.

The natural relic'ing on it is so nice, I cant wait to post some pics when i get it in hand. The paint is faded just right and the back edges are all perfectly worn, the back of the neck feels real nice. It has such and old feeling in my hands, even the way it feels to the touch is so right. The frets are in excellent condition and the action is just perfect. It played real nice in the store, exactly like you'd expect it to.

Jon
Member since 2005

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:57 pm

You couldn't fix your head stock break?

It doesn't mean the end of life of that guitar?
I'm sure you are satified with how it panned out.

Oh my, see your guitar fall then see the head stock broken must be a stomach in your socks moment...... :(

Still, HNGD!!!! :)
Last edited by Les Paul Lover on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:03 pm

Super sweet score!! Congrats - look forward to hearing the reviews once you get her revved up at home!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:35 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:You couldn't fix your head stock break?

Oh my, see your guitar fall then see the head stock broken must be a stomach in your socks moment...... :(

Actually it would have been an easy fix, the crack was slight. When i picked it up off the floor and saw the crack, yeah it was a true "stomach in my socks moment". It was slightly out of tune and the action was a bit weird. So i tuned it up slightly lower than normal (hoping it would hold for one last session) and then rocked my ass off for 3 hours and she played and sounded fantastic. I had some ideas about a repair, I was thinking maybe injecting some wood glue under the crack with a syringe and clamp it, that was my very first reaction, im sure this would have been fine. But then that old 72 I kept looking at (for the past two weeks) threw the window popped in my head :P seriously, I called the store right then and told them id be in the next day to check it out. So this all made it all the more simple (showing her the damage) explaining to my wife "the bad news" and why i HAD! to buy it (the 72) :mrgreen:

So yeah, it all "panned out" just right 8)

My 98 was sweet, but it was pretty beat up. I never played it unplugged due to some mid neck fret buzzing. I feel VERY lucky to have sold it for as much as $800 bucks with a cracked neck.

Besides I really don't want a guitar with a neck repair. I don't mind cosmetic stuff at all, but no crack repairs, not for me.

Jon
Member since 2005

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:49 am

Taronja wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:You couldn't fix your head stock break?

Actually it would have been an easy fix, the crack was slight. When i picked it up off the floor and saw the crack, yeah it was a true "stomach in my socks moment". It was slightly out of tune and the action was a bit weird. So i tuned it up slightly lower than normal (hoping it would hold for one last session) and then rocked my ass off for 3 hours and she played and sounded fantastic. I had some ideas about a repair, I was thinking maybe injecting some wood glue under the crack with a syringe and clamp it, that was my very first reaction, im sure this would have been fine. But then that old 72 I kept looking at (for the past two weeks) threw the window popped in my head :P seriously, I called the store right then and told them id be in the next day to check it out. So this all made it all the more simple (showing her the damage) explaining to my wife "the bad news" and why i HAD! to buy it (the 72) :mrgreen:

So yeah, it all "panned out" just right 8)

My 98 was sweet, but it was pretty beat up. I never played it unplugged due to some mid neck fret buzzing. I feel VERY lucky to have sold it for as much as $800 bucks with a cracked neck.

Besides I really don't want a guitar with a neck repair. I don't mind cosmetic stuff at all, but no crack repairs, not for me.

Jon

I like happy endings!!!!! :D
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:45 am

love the way the deluxes feel, but I did not care for the minibuckers, so this guitar would have been a perfect fit for me as well. You're not missing anything without the minibuckers being in there IMO. Good Score!
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:54 pm

myboss57 wrote:Super sweet score!! Congrats - look forward to hearing the reviews once you get her revved up at home!
This guitar plays outstanding. Its a Gibson and it play like a Gibson. Very small C neck, plays and feels so natural. the pickups are a bit to hot for me. so im looking for something els as far as that goes. but the guitar itself if perfect for me.

Jon
Member since 2005

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: got a new, well not so new Gibby.... UPDATED WITH PHOTOS

Post by bclaire » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:59 pm

Looks beautiful!

Hey, you're in Boston, right? Bring the other guitar to Jim Mouradian to repair the headstock. He's the best! and you know it'll be done right....

Taronja
Orange Master

Re: got a new, well not so new Gibby.... UPDATED WITH PHOTOS

Post by Taronja » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:16 am

bclaire wrote:Looks beautiful!

Hey, you're in Boston, right? Bring the other guitar to Jim Mouradian to repair the headstock. He's the best! and you know it'll be done right....

I had to sell it to finance this one, beside the crack, it was in pretty rough shape. I got $800 for it and feel pretty lucky to have sold it for that much. It had sever pitting on the pups and bridge, it had a chip broken off one of the headstock tips. also it had some very slight mid neck buzzing that was not fixable. and other little things I didn't like. in spite of all this it was a wonderful player. To me it was an excuse to get something new, needed some way get my wife to let buy this one, in all reality the crack was minor, I could have fixed it myself. BUT.... :wink:

Jon
Member since 2005