Gibson SG 60's tribute pickup connector? Help anyone?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Arrgghhh this is so frustrating! I ordered a Kinman pickup last week and paid extra to have it express shipped. I was supposed to have it here yesterday, then I noticed today in my junk folder that the company has been emailing me for a week to ask if I need a Gibson connector for the pickup. They have a picture of what it should look like on their website, but it's hard to see clearly and I opened the back to see if I could find a similar part, I really know nothing about the electronics of a guitar and what the different parts are supposed to look like. I never work on my guitars myself, just not handy that way.

So I couldn't find an 'exact' match to the part they're referring to. To me it just looks like a bunch of wires and parts that mean nothing to me, so I chose the option to solder since I figured that could go on any guitar. They replied back saying that most SG's have Gibson connectors, but I don't know if the special 60's tribute models are different since it doesn't look exactly the same to me as the picture they show. Anyone know if my guitar needs this connector for pickups or not?
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: Gibson SG 60's tribute pickup connector? Help anyone?

Post by OrangePaul » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:19 pm

You could most likely cut the connector off and solder it if yours isn't that type...
Ask them if the cable will be long enough on the connector type version if you needed to do that.
Paul.

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:18 pm

No...you don't

Kinman makes their own quik connect systems

You just need the pickup
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

cheacher
Rocker

Post by cheacher » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:09 pm

i think what they are asking is "do you have a pcb board in your guitar?" if the answer is yes then you will probably want the gibson connector to plug your pick up into.

if you take off the cover on the back of the guitar and see no pcb board then the answer would be no, u dont need it.

thats what i think they mean anyway!

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:15 am

Thanks guys, I opened up the back again and I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have those connectors he's talking about, he said they would be plastic and I don't see anything like that in there.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror