looking for a good empty 212 cabinet

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Woodsie
Orange Expert

looking for a good empty 212 cabinet

Post by Woodsie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:06 pm

I have a pair of celestion speakers that i was going to sell but now i'm thinking i might put them to use as a second 212 cab to compliment my Orange 212. Where can i find a cab with the same build quality as the orange but empty?
==================================================================

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: looking for a good empty 212 cabinet

Post by baytamusic » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:14 pm

There's tons. Avatar, White Box, Sourmash, V Boutique, Sonset Beach, Mojo, no names on eBay, etc.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:17 pm

I just saw the Sonoset Beach cabs on Ebay. they look amazing.

edit: just looked up the Avatar. they also look great. ok, question answered, thanks.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm running a whitebox, and the build quality is outstanding! The guy is super down to Earth and really helpful. Reach out to them and see what they can do for you! The prices are beyond fair, I got an incredible deal. I'm pretty sure I paid less than $250 for mine (212, unloaded) at the time!
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:40 pm

I know a member on here recently purchased a Sonset Beach cab and seems happy with it. But, I've read some really, really bad reviews on these guys. Bad vinyl, actual warping of the cabs, etc. Maybe, they've cleaned up their act, but I wouldn't buy from them. YMMV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8MiFoNTBy8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rockerverb 50 MK I head
Miscellaneous PPC212's and PPC412's
Gibson Satin Ebony Les Paul Studio
Gibson Fireburst Les Paul Studio

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:59 pm

those 212s in the video are TINY. dang.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

iblastoff
Orange Hero

Post by iblastoff » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:02 pm

whiteyanderson wrote:I know a member on here recently purchased a Sonset Beach cab and seems happy with it. But, I've read some really, really bad reviews on these guys. Bad vinyl, actual warping of the cabs, etc. Maybe, they've cleaned up their act, but I wouldn't buy from them. YMMV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8MiFoNTBy8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that review was from 3 years ago. apparently the guy got replacements and they were much better.

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:22 pm

Yes and the replacements warped as well in the follow up review. Like I said, maybe they have cleaned up their act, but just a heads up to the OP considering purchasing from them. I wouldn't buy from them. YMMV. I'm weird that way though.

They also use the word ORANGE in almost all of their eBay listings, no matter the color. PURPLE ORANGE 2x12. Kind of a blatant rip off, marketing ploy IMHO. I'm weird that way too though. YMMV.

If I were to get a clone cabinet, I'd stick to Avatar, LopoLine, etc. that have a name and reputation behind them, regardless of whether or not that sell clones or not. Not some company who uses questionable marketing tactics to lure in people looking for an ORANGE cabinet. I'm even weirder that way. YMMV.

Nothing wrong with selling a clone, but to use a certain brand name in every one of your listings is a blatant rip.

Again, they may be the greatest things since sunglasses. I'll never drop the dough on one to find out though.
Rockerverb 50 MK I head

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:27 pm

What drew me too them was the fact that it looks just like my Orange cab. That was before I saw the Avitars. They look just like them too and I'm familiar with their reputation. It's going to be a little while if I even get one. I just got my head and cab, I shouldn't be looking to spend again already. I had the speakers and was going to sell them, which I may still do, but the thought of throwing them in a box sounded better.

Captain Wedge
Rocker

Post by Captain Wedge » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:46 pm

I'd say go with Whitebox. I've heard great things about them.
Plus they have a killer logo that they put on the cabs.
Fender Stratocaster || Les Paul || Garrison Acoustic
Orange Dual Terror

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:25 pm

Check out Saxon Cabs. http://www.saxon-cabs.ca/index.html Some nice options, go to the picture gallery.
I like this one
This ones neat too, the baffle is angled up
I think they're canadian prices

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:48 am

Captain Wedge wrote:I'd say go with Whitebox. I've heard great things about them.
Plus they have a killer logo that they put on the cabs.
The logo is what pushed me over the edge to purchase it! It doesn't have any letters, so it doesn't distract from my Orange head and make it obvious that it's a third-party speaker cab. I don't like Avatar's logo, it really puts me off for some reason. For that same reason, I realllly hated my old Marshall 1960a because of that stupid logo that I didn't want distracting from the Orange logo!
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:45 am

Woodsie wrote:What drew me too them was the fact that it looks just like my Orange cab. That was before I saw the Avitars. They look just like them too and I'm familiar with their reputation. It's going to be a little while if I even get one. I just got my head and cab, I shouldn't be looking to spend again already. I had the speakers and was going to sell them, which I may still do, but the thought of throwing them in a box sounded better.
Hey man, I've looked at them SSB cabs too, I hear ya. And I'm not trying to be snarky or dongle-narf-ish, so forgive me if it seems that way. I was just giving a heads up that I'd heard some bad things about them. Just looking out for you is all. Again, they may have cleaned up their act and whatnot, and I can only go by the stuff I've stumbled across in reviews. I still think they use questionable marketing tactics even if they should turn out to be the Rolls Royce of cabs. Kind of like those dudes who list their Gibson Agile Les Pauls on Craigslist and such.

But to each their own, I'm sure they work for others. And if they do, I'm not slagging on a persons choice to buy one. I just wouldn't.

Good luck on your decision.
Rockerverb 50 MK I head

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:32 am

if it helps, avatar's contemporary 212 is the same dimensions as the ppc212cb. and it wouldn't take much to take off that logo.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:27 pm

jason41224 wrote:if it helps, avatar's contemporary 212 is the same dimensions as the ppc212cb. and it wouldn't take much to take off that logo.
+1

Remove the logo, easy enough. Go with the best sounding cab, even if based on reputation if it's all you got. The logo is an afterthought, for me anyway.

my vote is with the avatars. good value and quality.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI