Crate Powerblock

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

Crate Powerblock

Post by myboss57 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:40 pm

Who owns one? I'm thinking of getting one after I blew a fuse the other night on my OD120 - since I think it's smart to have a backup anyways. I hate the idea of lugging around two heads to a gig, so the lightweight portability of the Crate sounds like a winner.

Also, my OD120 is at the shop this week and I may need something for band practice and have nothing other than a 20watt Orange Crush. :lol:

Looks like they have Gain, volume, and Eq knobs and that's about it. Seems simple enough as a good backup.

Thoughts anyone?
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

30secs
Rocker

Re: Crate Powerblock

Post by 30secs » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:31 pm

They're awesome. So many uses.. just Google the user's manual online. I actually have one FS if you're interested.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Never heard one but it seems like a good portable idea.
Tiny Terror springs to mind too as an alternative...
Paul.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:59 pm

OrangePaul wrote:Never heard one but it seems like a good portable idea.
I'd love to have a Tiny Terror! I just don't have the $$$ laying around and the Powerblock's are used for around $100-120.
30secs wrote:They're awesome. So many uses.. just Google the user's manual online. I actually have one FS if you're interested.
Oh yeah? Are you near Baltimore? I was going to head up to GC today or this weekend as they have some used in stock at various stores - so I may just do that. What are you asking for it?
I'm also hoping to grab one this weekend as I may need it next week if my amp ain't done yet.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

30secs
Rocker

Post by 30secs » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:47 pm

myboss57 wrote:
OrangePaul wrote:Never heard one but it seems like a good portable idea.
I'd love to have a Tiny Terror! I just don't have the $$$ laying around and the Powerblock's are used for around $100-120.
30secs wrote:They're awesome. So many uses.. just Google the user's manual online. I actually have one FS if you're interested.
Oh yeah? Are you near Baltimore? I was going to head up to GC today or this weekend as they have some used in stock at various stores - so I may just do that. What are you asking for it?
I'm also hoping to grab one this weekend as I may need it next week if my amp ain't done yet.
Sent you a PM.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:27 am

They really do sound good for what they are. They actually behave like a tube amp. You have to turn them up a bit to get a decent amount of gain (unless you use pedals), so they are best when played live and loud. I have thought about picking up another one every time I see them on Craigslist. I think they are a great deal for $100, which is what they usually sell for in my area. I have heard suggestions that they stopped making them due to a high warranty return rate, but I have always treated mine well and it has been reliable (though it is used sparingly).

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:09 am

Yeah I have one. It does sound decent enough for guitar or bass, and makes an ideal backup amp for either. Can also be used as a small stereo PA amp (75W / side) if needed, so well handy. The overdrive sound and feel are both pretty fair for a cheap amp head, not boutique amp standards but definitely more useful than a few valve amps I've plugged into.

Yes I've heard about reliability issues too. I'd imagine they are often true. There is some advanced technology in there, but they were definitely built to a price. But mine has worked without a hiccup so far, and frankly if it fails I've had fair enough use out of it. For what they cost (especially when they were selling them off cheap at the end!) you really can't complain.

Be careful to stick to the impedance advice on the back panel (/ MANUAL) for mono / stereo use. (Who knows, maybe the reason for many blow ups was people not doing that. Just a thought.)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Yeah, I think it'll be great for a backup. I'm getting one from my wife's uncle - with bag and barely ever used (actually been sitting unused in my father-in-law's studio for a year) for $125, which is about what they are going for used around me.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:41 am

So, I picked up the Powerblock yesterday - $125 - and used it this morning at band practice. I was really impressed by how it sounded and set into the mix. I am definitely glad I picked one up! A great backup for sure!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:04 am

I think I may try and hunt one of these down. I currently have no backup amp which is a dangerous thing no matter how reliable your tube amp is.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:56 am

I've been thinking if getting one of those EHX magnum 44 pedals. 44w solid state through a reasonable cab seems practical as a backup if you're being mic'd and only takes up a pedal as a footprint. I'd just throw it my cables/strings/tubes/tools bag.

The powerblock seems cool and is pretty small too. Plus, 150w is a huge improvement.

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:00 am

I'd second everything Andy said about them. Mine was used for bass for ages, worked well for that too, DI to house, into its 112 was perhaps the weak link. Guitar made a decent backup.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:04 pm

Never heard of that Magnum thing - sounds very portable and useful too. I definitely like the portability factor of this - and the gain it has sounds good enough that I think most people at a gig - if I was using this - wouldn't even really hear the difference.

Don't plan on using it for bass - but I think it's kind of exciting knowing that it could work for that as well!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:45 pm

Oops, to clarify I meant a.hun, not the other Andy. I've never played the .44, but wn a power block.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:37 pm

DoctorJay wrote:Oops, to clarify I meant a.hun, not the other Andy.
Cheers. Good suggestion from 'other Andy' too though! 8)

I haven't tried the Magnum amp-pedals either, but I imagine it'd be a cool backup, and yeah, well portable. Handy.
myboss57 wrote:So, I picked up the Powerblock yesterday - $125 - and used it this morning at band practice. I was really impressed by how it sounded and set into the mix. I am definitely glad I picked one up! A great backup for sure!
Yeah, they are pretty usable. You can get some pretty decent sounds out of it, clean or distorted. I actually like solid state amps if they sound decent, and this one does.
DoctorJay wrote:Don't plan on using it for bass - but I think it's kind of exciting knowing that it could work for that as well!
Ever thought of trying bass? With a half decent amp it's good fun, and the CPB150 is definitely up to it. Just borrow a mates bass and a decent 8 ohm cab sometime and you've got 150W worth of fun! :D

Either way good luck with the amp!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!