So let's put your recording skills to the test

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

guilleonline
Orange Hero

So let's put your recording skills to the test

Post by guilleonline » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:39 pm

So I've been trying to record a little of how my amp sounds but honestly I can't replicate what my ears hear. I even raised the cab onto a stand to hear more accurately what the mic is recording, but still comes a little dull. So...

Let's hear what your orange sounds like!!

One catch though, no editing at all! No post eq. Just tons of trial and error with mic placement :mrgreen: although I am pretty sure some of you already know where the sweet spot is in front of your cab so let the rest of us hear what that sounds like.

I hear so many great things about the rocker 30, the rockerverb, the thunderverb...and even though there some vids on youtube, ,how about WE make our own?

I'll post mine as soon as I get to hear some of yours. Let's get this going!
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: So let's put your recording skills to the test

Post by baytamusic » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:24 pm

Why no EQ? In all reality, who cares what it sounds like pre-EQ?! That just doesn't matter from a somewhat philosophical standpoint. I also don't think you can ever truly replicate with a recording what something sounds like in person.

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Well I just wanted to hear the amp itself. You can def play with 'its' onboard eq but if we record them and then use 20 plug ins to change the sound...then we'll end up with something not as true to the original.

But let's do it!, come on guys! Maybe you even have a pre recorded version already. If not it's a good idea to polish and share you recording skills! Plus I think it would be fun.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:03 pm

But you know what? You are right if you wanna eq then by all means. Just share what you did with it afterwards :D I just wanna hear some great tones of fellow members!

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Here's some R30 stuff for a demo of a song my band is working on. It's just power chords and it's doubled and EQ'd but you'll get the gist of the sound of the amp:

http://soundcloud.com/baytamusic/rip-off-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have tons more but they are part of an album I'm recording for my band right now.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Oh and you'll hear some crazyness that sounds like a record getting scratched by a DJ of something to the picking pattern. I get this problem sometimes when I'm not careful.

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Baytamusic, I like your stuff.
I recorded this quickly for the thread. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1244235/GtrStuff/CR301.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Gray wrote:Baytamusic, I like your stuff.
I recorded this quickly for the thread. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1244235/GtrStuff/CR301.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey man that cleans sound is awesome. Fat and punchy but very articulated. What Orange is that? How did you mic it? Which mic? Fill us in with info!

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 pm

guilleonline wrote:Hey man that cleans sound is awesome. Fat and punchy but very articulated. What Orange is that? How did you mic it? Which mic? Fill us in with info!
It's a SS Crush 30r. The discontinued model with spring reverb. Mic'd using a Shure SM57 offset from the center into a Mackie preamp.

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:48 pm

Challenge accepted. Will do after I knock off from work.
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:17 am

http://www.mediafire.com/?hcpjta4vjztexl2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is a cab comparison that I did back in June 2010. Cabs were Marshall 1960AV, Avatar Traditional 4x12, and Mesa Rectifier 2x12. All cabs were loaded with vintage 30 speakers. Guitar was a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Amp was my Rocker 30.

Microphone was a Unidyne SM57 placed perpendicular to the grill and inch away. It was just outside the dust cap. That ran into a Focusrite Red 8, and that ran into a Digi 192 then into PT HD 8.

It is pretty unreal how different those three cabinets sound from each other given everything was the same besides the manufacturer and constructor of the cabinet.

edit: I did no EQ or compression on those recordings.

Edit:
In the recording session we ended up going with the Mesa cab. Here is the final song for that part:
http://soundcloud.com/bransonny/01-sirens-256k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Part starts at 2:57
Monty

Orange4Ever

Post by Orange4Ever » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:34 pm

I wanted to Participate in this one. I really have nothing good to record with, but it seemed like a worthy challenge. My amp is the orange Crush 35LDX, and i used some old radio shack mic. i found, and plugged it into my computer. i used a free sound recorder to capture the audio. Squier strat tuned to open G, and using a Mudslide.. http://soundcloud.com/rusty-ford/08-i-55