I'm So Confused.....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:34 pm

This is driving me nuts but there's not a thing I can do about it...

I have an AD140TC head/halfstack and an AD30TC combo. I switch back and forth between the two amps all of the time, depending on the gig. The control panels are laid out exactly the same but with one important difference: channel two is on top on the 140 and on the bottom on the 30. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've tried to quickly turn up the solo channel during a solo and turned up the wrong one because I was using the "other" amp... I don't know what to do about it- except maybe get a big vinyl letter "2" and put it on the faceplate next to channel's 2's volume knob on each...

yeesh.. Billy

peter

Post by peter » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:28 pm

I dont know either but: HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHahhhaaaa. thanks for the laugh, I hope you get your mild dispraxia sorted out.
Just out of curiosity, how would you describe the differences in sound between your two fine amps. I have the ad30tc and I love it, but I often wonder how it compares to its higher wattage cousins. And why such a huge difference in wattage? The only models ive seen are 15W, 30W, and then 140W. Isnt that kinda weird?

chefothefuture

Post by chefothefuture » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:31 am

Hey-
They are now doing 2 50s.
The AD50 and the Retro50.
These might fill the gap...

AD140Custom
AD140Custom

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:02 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I dont know either but: HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHahhhaaaa. thanks for the laugh, I hope you get your mild dispraxia sorted out.
Just out of curiosity, how would you describe the differences in sound between your two fine amps. I have the ad30tc and I love it, but I often wonder how it compares to its higher wattage cousins. And why such a huge difference in wattage? The only models ive seen are 15W, 30W, and then 140W. Isnt that kinda weird?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

They're all Orange... obviously, the AD140TC has way more headroom and volume but I find I can get similar sounds out of them both. The 30's easier to mush... but I use them both for gigs- just depends on the band and the size of the room and sound system. The 140 can get a little crisper and better defined if you know what I mean than the 30 but both are truly awesome amps. Billy

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:04 am

Oh and I forgot- one amp has gain on the left- the other has gain on the right so not only am I turning the knob for the wrong channel, 50% of the time I'm turning the gain knob instead of the volume knob.... sheesh.

Jorge

Post by Jorge » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:35 pm

Why don't you put adhesive fluorescent labels on the Top of the volume knob on channel two?

You can always remove them.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Why don't you put adhesive fluorescent labels on the Top of the volume knob on channel two?

You can always remove them.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

That's brilliant.... off to do it right now.

mandy

Post by mandy » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:18 pm

Hi Billy
I had the exactly same problem on stage too....! First I played a long time with my AD-30R Combo and then I switched on the stack with
an AD-30H and a 4x12+ Cab. Always I was turning the wrong knob to get more Mastervolume, because on the Combo it was on the right side and on the Head the Master-knob is left now. How many times I've got a dreadful cranky sound because of this for me really not understandable fact. Why this technician-guys from ORANGE has make this silly combination? That's why I sold my combo now and I'm very happy with my two important knobs, wich I know now exactly.....!
Greetings Mandy

Mandy Oberle
Zugerstrasse 36
CH-6318 Walchwil
Tel/Fax +41-41-758 18 08
Mobile +41-79-341 11 12
Mandy Oberle
Zugerstrasse 36
CH-6318 Walchwil
Tel/Fax +41-41-758 18 08
Mobile +41-79-341 11 12