firebird & orange

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

sidvicious
Orange Master

firebird & orange

Post by sidvicious » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 pm

i have plenty of toys and don't really need another,

but i'm wanting a firebird with classic mini pickups. through an orange amp it should sound tough to beat. i have every guitar made i think, but i don't have a firebird. are there examples anyone knows of? [firebird through an orange].

i'm working on a trial brief and don't have time to search. just took this short break to think out loud.

sv-
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

savage8190
Orange Master

Re: firebird & orange

Post by savage8190 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:57 pm

Man Ive always wondered...and I think I'm the only person I know that actually loves the look of the bird too.

Maybe one day.

basshole
Orange Expert

Post by basshole » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Oh i've been waiting a long time for those birds to finally resurface here in europe again! Heard a couple of sound clips and man those mini's really bite! Can't really decide wether to go with white or sb though.
Andreas

McCartney - Lynne - Langdon - Sting - Miller - Jenkins - Hendrix

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:34 pm

I played with a guitarist who had a mid 70's firebird. Beautiful instrument. Very biting sounding, but like a single coil guitar,which I know it isn't, I think it would sound great through an Orange. Those mini humbuckers would not be anywhere as "muddy" sounding.
Very neck heavy though. I had a hard time playing it for an extened period.

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:23 am

Man this never ends!! ( the list of things I want )

A couple months ago I started all my research about those firebirds. Specially because of the neck through construction, which everyone that owns one claims that it has sustain for days.

The 2010 model in white is sweet, but the sunbursts are classic as well. I jut wish there was one with humbuckers or P 90's. I love the look of the mii's but don't know what to expect as far as sound.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:17 am

guilleonline wrote:Man this never ends!! ( the list of things I want )

A couple months ago I started all my research about those firebirds. Specially because of the neck through construction, which everyone that owns one claims that it has sustain for days.

The 2010 model in white is sweet, but the sunbursts are classic as well. I jut wish there was one with humbuckers or P 90's. I love the look of the mii's but don't know what to expect as far as sound.
Have you seen the non-reverse Firebirds with three P-90s? They're a bit ugly, but in a good way :D .

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:21 am

Yeah but their look doesn't even come close the that of the reversed firebird.

It is truly second to none in its own way.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

DiabloS
Orange Master

firebird & orange

Post by DiabloS » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm at work so I can't post any youtube vids... but check out any recent vids of Rivals Sons. The guitarist uses a Firebird through a Thunderverb and has a phenonemal tone, and great band to boot!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
guilleonline wrote:Man this never ends!! ( the list of things I want )

Have you seen the non-reverse Firebirds with three P-90s? They're a bit ugly, but in a good way :D .
They have one of those hanging behind the counter at the store I always go to, its not a bad looking guitar. They are some kind of stacked/hum-cancelling p-90 though and have coil taps. Personally I like the non-reverse better.

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:33 pm

I was drooling over some Lollar pickups to possibly put in my P-bass at some point and noticed that he has Firebird pickups designed to drop in to an LP. That's pretty slick.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:43 pm

I share the desire for a Firebird after I tried one a couple years ago. Loved the feel and sound of it before I plugged it in. I like the minibuckers a lot, but the store didn't have an Orange to plug it in to. Knowing how an Orange brings out the sound of each individual guitar, I don't think there would be a problem with a Firebird.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:16 pm

DiabloS wrote:I'm at work so I can't post any youtube vids... but check out any recent vids of Rivals Sons. The guitarist uses a Firebird through a Thunderverb and has a phenonemal tone, and great band to boot!
man, those guys are really good, and very raw. thanks much for the turn on. and that bird sounds great flying orange.

sv-
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:52 pm

I had a Firebird once, w mini humbuckers. Bought it brand new in 02 or 03, black with white pickguard. It looked sweet, and that was the only thing good about it. The mini-humbuckers sounded like crap with anything more than a mild crunch tone. I hated the banjo style tuners, pain in the butt to re-string. The case that it comes in makes you think your carrying a bass around, I always slammed it into doors by accident. Mine was neck heavy and the way that the neck is offset from the body makes it feel like your playing a longer scale neck. I could never get use to the way it felt compared to a Les Paul or SG, and like I said, I didn't like how the mini buckers sounded with gian, Waaaay too airy and open sounding, harsh and boomy. I ended up selling it, had to take a pretty big hit on it too, they are not as easy to resell as a Les Paul. Some may like it for other reasons, but it was not the guitar for me.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

helgirg

Post by helgirg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:40 pm

I have a 2001 Firebird V and I love it. It took a little time to get use to the neck position, it may not be for everyone but I like it.
I also have an Orange AD30TCH and a PPC212 and it sounds great with the Firebird. The mini humbuckers sound great. They are a little brighter and snappier than classic humbuckers.
Orange AD30HTC + PPC212C
Orange AD15/12
Fender American Deluxe Strat '99
Fender MIM Strat '97
Fender American Series Tele '92
Fender Baritone Special '07
Gibson SG-3 '07
Gibson SG Classic '07
Gibson Firebird V '01
http://bennycresposgang.bandcamp.com/

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:44 pm

PJ Harvey playing through AD30... and AC30.