Zombie Hospital Jazz Attack (Rockerverb 100 MKII)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Zombie Hospital Jazz Attack (Rockerverb 100 MKII)

Post by fiaj » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:24 pm

These recordings aren't great. In fact, they should be stunning but the unbelievably clear and detailed AKG C414B condenser i used was on a slightly unstable stand and it seems i must have hit it with the head of my Vo at the start of the jam and knocked it by an inch or so towards the cab, resulting in some very upsetting clipping in a couple of places.

This is just a recording of myself improvising with the ex-fiaj drummer and his bassist. We were in the school i attended ten years ago, under some really odd blue ambient light that made me feel like i was in a hospital the whole time in a 70's Zombie film. It was a very bizarre jam and i think the bassist was a bit nervous and reserved so i had to play super quiet to try and hear him in places, hence the odd dynamics.
The bass is slightly louder in the mix than it was in the room, but still quite quiet. I've mixed it to be a close representation of what i heard in the room. The drums are recorded wonderfully other than the kick, which we recorded with an SM58.

I'm posting this because it is the first recording i have done with my Rockerverb, and despite how strangely surreal it was playing in that room and how sloppy bits of playing are, i think we got some pretty good stuff down. And when my channel is not clipping you can get some really nice example of some of the tones these amps produce, i was using a Moog guitar though.
Any fans of improvisational jazz should appreciate this, it's very abstract and has a really silly metal section in "II" that i thought was funny at the time but sounds pretty silly as the drums and bass didn't lock in.

Also ANY DRUMMERS OR DRUM FANS need to hear this, the drummer is nuts. He's only just started playing again but he's got really tight and full of crazy chops. Makes John Bonham sound like the drummer in a school band.
My Rockerverb is running through a 2x12 Framus cab, i'm not sure of the speakers but it sounded lovely. My cab is too big to take to little jams.

So, i know it's got it's sloppy moments, and the first chuggy metal bit is silly and out of place, but i'd appreciate anybody's thoughts and feedback.

(II & III are best)

Jazz Attack I : http://www.mediafire.com/?2aptc1phf8avz0a
Jazz Attack II : http://www.mediafire.com/?gg3zrl486h3nvlb
Jazz Attack III : http://www.mediafire.com/?ueo813p15l8sff3

Files are FLAC so as not to lose too much detail, i'm not down with MP3 compression, but they're quite small files and worth the download. FLAC will play fine in Winamp and most other media players but iTunes doesn't like them, if anybody is interested i'll convert to Apple lossless for iTunes users. And if anybody wants to hear the full session (30ish minutes) i think the drummer put his mix up so i'll find a link.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Zombie Hospital Jazz Attack (Rockerverb 100 MKII)

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:47 pm

I thought you might confirm we could kill zombies with Jazz.... :(

After all, we learnt on Mard Attacks we can kill aliens with classical music?!?!?!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Re: Zombie Hospital Jazz Attack (Rockerverb 100 MKII)

Post by fiaj » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:13 pm

I'd say you can. Despite never actually seeing the effects of jazz on the undead, i have up to this point never been attacked by zombies of any kind, and i think it is plausible that the reason for this is the fact that i play lots of loud and strange jazz.
It can't be coincidence or luck, and zombies are on the uprise at the moment since those dodgy swine flu vaccinations so you'd expect extra danger.