Rockerverb 50 MKII on the way.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

MrTateMyBalls

Rockerverb 50 MKII on the way.

Post by MrTateMyBalls » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Hey guys. Just did a trade deal for a rockerverb 50 MKII. It's my first Orange, and I'm really excited to get it. An old college buddy played through an AD140, and that thing killed! I've owned lot's of amps from modern and vintage Marshalls, Soldano, Peavey, Dr Z(still have this one....killer pedal platform), 65 Amps.

Just an introduction here. I'm in Denver, CO, USA. Hopefully, I can contribute useful discussion. I'll post my thoughts on the amp when it gets here!

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Re: Rockerverb 50 MKII on the way.

Post by fiaj » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Beautiful amps. From what i've heard the 50s seem a little bit warmer, from the valves being driven slightly harder i expect. I went for the 100 as i need the volume and headroom but there isn't a great jump really and i think the 50s sound more like the older Oranges i've heard (very slightly). You will be in heaven when that thing arrives. The reverb on the MKIIs is stunning, like playing in a beautiful crystal cave. And the dirty channel can get you some of the crunchiest distortion you can find, it also cleans up nicely with the gain down to get some slightly gritty, more Marshally kind of tones.
Have fun!!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:23 pm

Congrats!

I hope you'll like it - i love my rockerverb - albeit MKI - and I still find myself smilling almost 3 years from purchase when I switch it on.

It's an amazing amp - to me at least!
Dont think it'll be that close to the AD140 though. Hope you'll be able to crank the clean channel - it's got the most glorious old school rock crunch, think led zep....
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

MrTateMyBalls

Post by MrTateMyBalls » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Well, I've had it nearly a week now. This thing Smokes! It just oozes classic rock and metal tones. I knew what to expect from the drive channel, but the clean channel really suprised me. i expected usable, but it actually sounds pretty damn good. I've already sold 2 of my most prized drive pedals from my board, and I'm looking for a used 50 watt weber mini mass. I have a 25 watt version that I am using now, but I'm really afraid to go past 5 on the master so as not to blow the weber.

Anyways, I will miss my Dr Z in a way, but this Orange is voiced much more like what my ideal tone would be, where with the dr Z I was always fighting it and slamming it with pedals to get the right tones out of it. The Orange will be sticking around for the next few years at least would be my guess.

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:08 pm

MrTateMyBalls wrote:Well, I've had it nearly a week now. This thing Smokes! It just oozes classic rock and metal tones. I knew what to expect from the drive channel, but the clean channel really suprised me. i expected usable, but it actually sounds pretty damn good. I've already sold 2 of my most prized drive pedals from my board, and I'm looking for a used 50 watt weber mini mass. I have a 25 watt version that I am using now, but I'm really afraid to go past 5 on the master so as not to blow the weber.

Anyways, I will miss my Dr Z in a way, but this Orange is voiced much more like what my ideal tone would be, where with the dr Z I was always fighting it and slamming it with pedals to get the right tones out of it. The Orange will be sticking around for the next few years at least would be my guess.
Sweet man, congrats. I think the RV clean channel is very under rated...I had a buddies Vibrolux here for a bit and A/B'ed them; I liked the RV's cleans better. I used to have a bunch of drive pedals too but I'm down to one that I barely use...

MrTateMyBalls

Post by MrTateMyBalls » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:36 pm

savage8190 wrote: Sweet man, congrats. I think the RV clean channel is very under rated...I had a buddies Vibrolux here for a bit and A/B'ed them; I liked the RV's cleans better. I used to have a bunch of drive pedals too but I'm down to one that I barely use...

Do you use anything for a lead boost? I have available a tube screamer, a DOD OD250, and mad professor sweet honey(which sounds fantastic on the clean channel for low gain crunchiness). I'm thinking the tube screamer should do fine, but I haven't tried it yet the amp just sounds so good on it's own.

I also have a volume pedal with a built in 6 DB boost, that I will be running through the effects loop.....I guess I could just use that. I like to add about 25% more gain AND additional volume when I boost for a lead.

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:17 pm

MrTateMyBalls wrote:
savage8190 wrote: Sweet man, congrats. I think the RV clean channel is very under rated...I had a buddies Vibrolux here for a bit and A/B'ed them; I liked the RV's cleans better. I used to have a bunch of drive pedals too but I'm down to one that I barely use...

Do you use anything for a lead boost? I have available a tube screamer, a DOD OD250, and mad professor sweet honey(which sounds fantastic on the clean channel for low gain crunchiness). I'm thinking the tube screamer should do fine, but I haven't tried it yet the amp just sounds so good on it's own.

I also have a volume pedal with a built in 6 DB boost, that I will be running through the effects loop.....I guess I could just use that. I like to add about 25% more gain AND additional volume when I boost for a lead.
Exotic EP boost...I use that little thing more than any other pedal I have. Boosts volume and adds a slight touch of hair. It adds a little something to your sound too, its supposed to colour your tone like running through a bypassed echoplex (Ala jimmy page).