Newb question, what amp to get?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

polypterus

Post by polypterus » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:43 am

So here's the deal. I've written a bunch of music mostly on guitar pro and I want to try to record some of it. Currently I have a so so amp and a few good pedals so I was looking to get a good tube amp. Most of my stuff ranges from melodic metal, to old school Bay Area thrash to prog metal. I have one song that use a 7 string but most of it's with a standard tuned 6 string with the occasional drop D. I was thinking about the TH30 but I really don't know a lot about amps. I notice there is a DT30 and an AH30 too and I was trying to figure out which is best for me. Also I've read up some on open and closed back cabs but I'm still somewhat at a loss as to what to go for. The only reason I have so far picked the Orange DT30 is that it always seems to sound good to my ears in demos and not just company demos. I know nothing about British vs American sound yada yada. It just seems to sound good. Any advice will be appreciated.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Newb question, what amp to get?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:29 pm

If you don't know much about american/english amp, I can only recommend one thing: go ad try some.

At the end of the day, it's best to even forget about this US/brit sound and just go for what you like by ear. You might be surprised.

From the style of music you seem to be playing, I'd recommend the TH30, Rockerverb 50 or 100, or Thunderverb 50.
But these 3 amps are quite different, and until you hear them yourself, it's difficult to say which you'd prefer.

Ad a closed back cabinet would probably be better for your stylle too.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:56 pm

hmmm...

I would say...

Probably:
Rocker50
Thunder50

Maybe:
TH30
Dual Terror
Dark Terror

Definitely NOT:
AD30
Tiny Terror

I'm ignoring the 100s and 200s here.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:19 pm

I'd say trust your ears.
Everyone on the forum who has the DT seem to love it and it's an ideal first valve amp IMO
Check out DiabloS forum member on here if you want to hear it in a band recording.
Paul.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:02 pm

OrangePaul wrote:I'd say trust your ears.
Everyone on the forum who has the DT seem to love it and it's an ideal first valve amp IMO
Check out DiabloS forum member on here if you want to hear it in a band recording.
Yeah, the DT is indeed a great amp! It's hard to say if you'd prefer the TH30 or the DT considering you like heavier styles. I used to play in a melodic metal band and used the DT, I've also been able to play some Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, etc. type stuff on the DT but keep in mind I use less gain than most metal players. It's not really a made for metal amp, but that doesn't mean it doesn't do the trick though, especially at louder volumes it sounds pretty heavy and you'll have more definition in your riffs than just having a blur of distortion fizz. The TH30 has way more gain on tap than the DT, but is also going to sound fizzier. Some people like that, others don't so it really depends on your personal taste.

I've since moved away from metal and more into the heavy stoner rock-ish genre. If you want to hear the Dual Terror in a heavier rock application, we recorded our recent EP entirely with the DT for guitars, you can check it out here:

http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

As far as cabs, heavier styles usually benefit more from closed cabs since they're punchier/tighter. There's also the argument that higher wattage amps handle bass response better. But honestly I've never found my DT to not handle bass well and we play in drop C, you're also going to pay a lot more usually if you go over 30 watts. The DT or TH30 is probably a good place to start, both are great amps, pick which one you like best!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:17 pm

DiabloS wrote:
OrangePaul wrote:I'd say trust your ears.
Yeah, the DT is indeed a great amp! It's hard to say if you'd prefer the TH30 or the DT considering you like heavier styles. I used to play in a melodic metal band and used the DT, I've also been able to play some Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, etc. type stuff on the DT but keep in mind I use less gain than most metal players. It's not really a made for metal amp, but that doesn't mean it doesn't do the trick though, especially at louder volumes it sounds pretty heavy and you'll have more definition in your riffs than just having a blur of distortion fizz. The TH30 has way more gain on tap than the DT, but is also going to sound fizzier. Some people like that, others don't so it really depends on your personal taste.

I've since moved away from metal and more into the heavy stoner rock-ish genre. If you want to hear the Dual Terror in a heavier rock application, we recorded our recent EP entirely with the DT for guitars, you can check it out here:

http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

As far as cabs, heavier styles usually benefit more from closed cabs since they're punchier/tighter. There's also the argument that higher wattage amps handle bass response better. But honestly I've never found my DT to not handle bass well and we play in drop C, you're also going to pay a lot more usually if you go over 30 watts. The DT or TH30 is probably a good place to start, both are great amps, pick which one you like best!
Hey congrats on your songs! And I DEFINITELY can hear the Dual Terror in there!! Gosh so particular of a sound. No pedals right? It just sound exactly like I hear it in my living room.

As for the the differences between the Dt and the TH30 i think you are right in the money, but I would recommend the TH30 over the DT for our new friend here. I have both amps, and love them both but seems like for what he wants the TH30 would just suit him better. And about it being fizzier.. rolling back the shape knob should take care of that.

If money isn't a problem a 412 should be the way to go, although a closed back ppc212 would do just fine too.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

polypterus

Post by polypterus » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I spent the entire morning trying amps and cabs, especially Oranges and Mesa Boogies. It's coming down to the TH30 and the Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier 25. I like the clean on the Mesa Boogie better but the TH30 distortion channel sounded better to my ears. This was kind of what I had heard on demos but I was still a bit surprised that it held true in person. The Mesa sounded grainier or something, I can't put a good word to it. The TH30 just sounded more epic to me, so I think I'm going with the TH30. At first I thought the Mesa was a bit tighter but I was only running 7 watts at first and when I bumped that up the tightness went up too. On the other hand I do like the Mesa rectifier 2x12 cab. I tried the TH30 with an orange 2x12 and a few other cabs but the mesa is just more to my liking. I guess I'll have to settle for mismatched colors :P

Edit:
By the way, I love that opening riff. In fact the whole song is cool!
Last edited by polypterus on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:40 pm

ALWAYS go for Epic...
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:34 am

Awesome! What speakers are loaded into that mesa cab?
Even though matched head and cabs looks 'neat', sometimes I really dig the missmatched head - cab combinations. It's almost like someone show you how they went out of their way to actually found what they were looking for sonically, but without words. My respects to all of you "missmatched junkies".

I might be joining you soon. But again those ppc's sound mighty too. So many options...
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Yeah Mesa makes good cabs and they should pair well with an Orange head. You'd probably be very happy with the TH30 and the Mesa cab, who cares if the colors don't match? I'm guessing the Mesa cab is black, that'll still look good with an Orange colored head!
guilleonline wrote: Hey congrats on your songs! And I DEFINITELY can hear the Dual Terror in there!! Gosh so particular of a sound. No pedals right? It just sound exactly like I hear it in my living room.
Thanks and yeah no pedals except for a Retro Sonic phaser during the pre-chorus. The rest is all Dual Terror!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Citrus Monolith

Post by Citrus Monolith » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:Definitely NOT:
Tiny Terror
I think the Tiny Terror can do metal just fine. Hell, In Flames have used them on records.

polypterus

Post by polypterus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Awesome! What speakers are loaded into that mesa cab?
Well the website says V30 and when I google "V30 speaker" I get Celestion Vintage 30, so I guess that's it.

polypterus

Post by polypterus » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:50 am

I've been messing with it at home now for a while now and it's just SICK! It's probably partially because I've never had a real tube amp before but still it sounds incredible to me.