Do you buy guitars on Ebay?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Citrus Monolith

Re: Do you buy guitars on Ebay?

Post by Citrus Monolith » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:55 am

I've bought one guitar off of ebay and it was probably the best deal I've ever gotten on a guitar. It was a somewhat rare USA Custom Ibanez with graphics and somehow no one else seemed to notice it because I got it for about half of what they generally go for.

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Neiloler wrote: I decided recently that I just need to save up and get a Carvin Cali Carved Top Single.
i have one. great guitar. i actually have 4 carvins and they are top of the line quality.

good choice.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:29 pm

I've had only good experiences but there are some fairly obvious precautions that are success factors:

Buying higher-end instruments - odds are the seller is more mature and/or a responsible person in the first place therefore he will tend to take of the instrument, be reliable in his descriptions and history and/or have a track record. Those selling a high-end guitar as the only musical item they've sold, are cause for alarm (e.g. fencing stolen property).

Photos and measurements - high-res digital cameras are everyday items for most. Better to photograph and describe a ding in the finish in detail than to face a dispute or a return involving thousands of dollars. Soundclips, videos, etc. are all gold for the prospective buyer.

Judging the seller by his spelling, punctuation and grammar - you have to be a bit of a psychologist from afar but in the land of caveat emptor it is logical to assume that the seller who can't use their/there/they're or you're/your correctly may not be reliable in his descriptions, actions after the sale (e.g. shipping/tracking) and so forth. God help you in a dispute.

Avoiding the mom-and-pop music stores - big pet peeve of mine. Jones Music Co. might have a guitar that has languished on the shelf for 2 years due mostly to the price and resistance from local buyers. Now they want to sell it online but haven't reduced the price by a single penny! Carrying costs and depreciation must mean nothing to these geniuses or their accountants and they somehow imagine they will get full whack for the guitar one day - often after the OEM has issued a new and improved model (e.g. Fender Stratocasters). They pay multiple listing and reserve fees which further cuts into their margin. Roll, roll, roll over your auctions and ignore the laws of supply and demand. Some will use the 'make offer' option in the listing and reject any offer less than the reserve or the BIN price. That's Mom & Pop on eBay.

I've bought and sold with very good results but of course there are pitfalls.

Colonel Sanders

Post by Colonel Sanders » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:52 am

Got my Fender Precision 1969 from eBay, best bass I have along with my Rickenbacker 4003.

Got my Steinberger L2 from eBay. Nothing to complain about (you either dig this cricket bat or not).

Got my 75 Jazz from eBay, can't say anything wrong about it (besides that the QAQC from Fender in the 70ies was awful, yet the sound is there).

You get what you pay for. Deal with a reputable dealer and things will go OK. Try to get the deal of the century and you may find there is a reason for the low, unbelievable price.
Fender Precision 1969, Fender Jazz 1975, Rickenbacker 4003 1990 Jetglo, Rickenbacker 4001v63 1997 Fireglo, Rickenbacker 4003 2011 Mapleglo, Steinberger L2 1983, Orange AD200B mk3/OBC115, Eden WT550/410XLT.