Custom shop 50 watters: What's your pic?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Custom shop 50 watters: What's your pic?

OR50
69%
Retro 50
25%
AD50
6%

Total votes: 16

OU818
Orange Master

Re: Custom shop 50 watters: What's your pic?

Post by OU818 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:11 am

Good thing you didn't buy an amp as an investment as that is a bit wanky :wink:
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

mmsb13
Orange Hero

Post by mmsb13 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:21 am

OU818 wrote:Good thing you didn't buy an amp as an investment as that is a bit wanky :wink:
I hear ya. . . it's just that it's been kinda nice knowing that even though it's used, that it would hold it's value and maybe then some. . . doesn't matter. . . I really like mine and have no intention of selling it. It just sounds too good. . . :D
40th Anniversary OR50H & PPC412-LTD
Rickenbacker 370/6 VP JG & 370/12 VP FG
and other gear. . .

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:05 pm

mmsb13 wrote:
OU818 wrote:Good thing you didn't buy an amp as an investment as that is a bit wanky :wink:
I hear ya. . . it's just that it's been kinda nice knowing that even though it's used, that it would hold it's value and maybe then some. . . doesn't matter. . . I really like mine and have no intention of selling it. It just sounds too good. . . :D
The production model OR50 40th anniv. models will still retain their value regardless of the OR50 being reissued. They may not leap up in value well beyond their initial selling price, but rarely do amps do this unless they are really vintage, classic, and somewhat rare. I'm highly confident I'll be able to sell my OR50 for an amount I'll be comfortable with at anytime, as I always strive to be close to the break even point when I swap gear.

I never buy gear as an investment, as absolutely none of it appreciates well enough. A marshall plexi from the 60's can be had for less than 10K. That's not a very good appreciation value over a 50 year period!! :lol:
I've seen some vintage guitars go for some very, very high coin, so there are exceptions to the rule for sure. But, the occurrence is pretty slim for your typical guitar player/enthusiast who buys some production or limited production gear today, methinks.

What does everyone else think?
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:22 pm

I think buying amps as an investment can work. Look at how much vintage amps' values have increased since the 90s. I remember when you could buy a JCM 800 or JMP head for about 500-600 or a blackface Deluxe Reverb for around $600. The Sunn and Supro stuff has went way up too. I think it's a matter of buying them at the right time and holding on to them for a while. There are no guarantees though.

I think guitars are a better bet, although they may have reached a max value at the moment that may stay stagnant for some time.

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:29 pm

I think some of the resale value will be determined by where the new OR 50 is made. Maybe it's been posted and I didn't see it, but if it's made in England, and being priced at what I saw on Humbucker Musics web site, I think the resale wont be as strong as it has been. If it is made in China, well then, that may be a different story. Even though "parts is parts", no matter where they are slapped together, British made will bring more than Chinese.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:09 pm

baytamusic wrote:I think buying amps as an investment can work. Look at how much vintage amps' values have increased since the 90s. I remember when you could buy a JCM 800 or JMP head for about 500-600 or a blackface Deluxe Reverb for around $600. The Sunn and Supro stuff has went way up too. I think it's a matter of buying them at the right time and holding on to them for a while. There are no guarantees though.

I think guitars are a better bet, although they may have reached a max value at the moment that may stay stagnant for some time.

I see what you're saying, but to me something I bought in 1990 for $600 that I can sell now for $1000-$1400 is not that good of an investment. Sure that is as much as a 60% increase in value, but it really isn't that much money because the initial value is pretty low, and if you look at it from a yearly perspective, it is only 3% per year. You could put $600 in a money market account or CD and get that. You'd have to have a warehouse full of amps to begin making any real money. Not to mention, that maintenance is a big factor on tube amps. You can't sell broken heads at a 60% return, and you can't sell them at that return either if you're having to pay to fix them. Plus, who knows what next generation's heroes are going to be playing. This sets the stage for what is desirable to the nth degree.

My view on gear and particularly amps is this: I buy them for the fun of it. I buy them to play. I do take care of my amps and keep them in as good of shape as possible, for a possible resell later on. I don't think of them as investments, I just think of them as a hobby or tool for my music. I always try to get a reasonable deal on any gear I buy, so that I know or reasonably expect to be able to at the minimum, break even when I resell it. This usually works out for me. I've lost some money on some gear, but it was pretty minimum. Most of the time I've broke even or made some on the sale.

I've really bought and sold a lot of amps, looking for "my" tone. I think I've finally found it, so I'm probably going to be selling off a bunch of stuff in the upcoming year or so.

Guitars on the other hand are way easier. You just keep them in their cases until you're ready to sell.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

skelt101

Post by skelt101 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Eddie Famine wrote:I think some of the resale value will be determined by where the new OR 50 is made. Maybe it's been posted and I didn't see it, but if it's made in England, and being priced at what I saw on Humbucker Musics web site, I think the resale wont be as strong as it has been. If it is made in China, well then, that may be a different story. Even though "parts is parts", no matter where they are slapped together, British made will bring more than Chinese.
Eddie,
I would tend to agree with you. A British made Orange will probably both cost more initially and be worth more in the long run, even if we are dealing with the same model constructed from the same parts. The fact that I didn't see the Union Jack Made In England sticker in the back photos from Humbucker Music coupled with the new lower price has me concerned... :cry:

allthatjazz

Post by allthatjazz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:12 pm

orangewhat wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:The OR50 ain't a Custom Shopper, but I'm just bein' nit-picky.

I have only played the OR50, but I suspect I would not like the AD50 or Retro 50 as much if they are less gainy.

there are OR50 Custom Shop models that also came out with the 40th Anny OR50's.they all had different girls names and IIRCC there were only 50.doubt there are many if any on this forum.
Well here is a pic of Angie and Sally. I have posted a vid of these amps somewhere on the forum...

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:08 am

Two 40th Anniversary Custom Shop amps?! Good God! Can I come live with you?

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:49 am

allthatjazz wrote:
orangewhat wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:The OR50 ain't a Custom Shopper, but I'm just bein' nit-picky.

I have only played the OR50, but I suspect I would not like the AD50 or Retro 50 as much if they are less gainy.

there are OR50 Custom Shop models that also came out with the 40th Anny OR50's.they all had different girls names and IIRCC there were only 50.doubt there are many if any on this forum.
Well here is a pic of Angie and Sally. I have posted a vid of these amps somewhere on the forum...
Your're going to permanently mark the tolex by having one amp set atop the other. The orange tolex gets black marks and recessed areas on it very easily. Just in case you didn't know. I would put something on the top of it to protect it, like a strip of cork, or a towel, etc.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI