The Society

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

fiaj
Tiny Terror

The Society

Post by fiaj » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Hello all.
Seems i got off on the wrong foot with some carelessly worded posts and accidentally caused some offence. So in an attempt to make friends rather than enemies, and just out of interest, i thought i'd start a topic to talk about the diverse (maybe) styles and tastes of Orange users. The Orange name seems to be mainly represented by Classic Rock and Blues guitarists, and with their more recent offers a small portion of various metal styles. I'm very interested to know what you are all into, what you play and what you listen to when not playing.
Seems to me that considering the array of different sounds in the Orange range they should be some of the most widely used amps around, but of course they cost so much that some people have to sell their kidneys to afford them, until the birth of the Terrors and smaller amps that brought the Orange sound to a tighter pocket. So now, with all the different amps available in 2012, how many different styles can these amplifiers lend themselves to, and what is yours?

myboss57
Orange Master

Re: The Society

Post by myboss57 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm

I don't know if I remember being offended by any of your posts, but either way - no worries here!

As for style:
I guess I play a sort of ambient, post-punk, 90s screamo type music with my band. We've been described as being a little like Explosions in the Sky mixed with 400 years and Slint. I use my OD120 (recently acquired), but before that I had a RV100 mk1. So no blues, classic rock, or metal from me! Unless you count my type of music falling under the blanket genre of "metal". :?

I listen to a lot of stuff. Mostly I listen to punk-type music, some hardcore as well. Currently I'm really into the following bands: Pianos Become the Teeth (local Baltimore band), 12 Hour Turn, Wavelets. So that's my jive!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:07 pm

I listen to just about anything and everything.

I play a mixture of 60s/70s classic rock and and hard rock/metal and grunge from the 90s... almost exclusively covers, since I can't write to save my life. I'm very much still a developing player, and I tend to migrate styles as I learn things applicable to each area... which is fun.

Currently I use an AD30 combo for everything (except home practice, which is where my Crush 35 lives)... will shortly be adding a Thunderverb and a 412 to handle the heavier stuff and the drop tunings... since I can't seem to get the AD30 to really LOVE drop tunings, despite the success of others...
Last edited by Dark Helmet on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

colfaxrev
Orange Expert

Post by colfaxrev » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:48 am

I play 90s uninfluenced rock that's fused with dissonance at times, yet melody at others.

I listen to as much as I can
http://animalbeast.fm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:19 am

I seem to be stuck in the early to mid 90s with weird dashes of psychedelic garage rock...

I don't know what this means but apparently it is what I play (as described to me by a friend).

I am hoping to have a real recording one day of one of my bands so I can get more opinions :lol:

As far as gear goes, my workhorse rig is a CIJ Fender Strat with Rio Grande Dual Calibrated single coils into a Corford Hellcat combo running an AD30 out of the FX Loop.
Last edited by OU818 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

colfaxrev
Orange Expert

Post by colfaxrev » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:34 am

my gfs uncle said I am "psychedelic grunge" haha
http://animalbeast.fm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 am

I've used my Oranges in all my bands. Alas now all I got is a Dual Terror from my Orange collection.

My Rocker 30 saw good use in a blues-rock band.

My AD30TC saw great use in a alternative rock band

and the Dual Terror gets used on recordings for my new prog band.

So versatile amps. But I think I need an AD30TC again!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:08 am

I have a couple RV 50's one from each MK :). I enjoy all types of music. But the music we are into is more in the Post-Metal genre I guess. Kind of hate the label but it serves a purpose. Long, epic tunes with lots of layers and ambience. ISIS, Neurosis, Cult of Luna I suppose would be similar although we sound completely different. I suppose it's kind of a hodge-podge of everyhting we've ever listened to, just slowed down and heavy.
Rockerverb 50 MK I head
Miscellaneous PPC212's and PPC412's
Gibson Satin Ebony Les Paul Studio
Gibson Fireburst Les Paul Studio

jax510
Rocker

Post by jax510 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:32 am

I have a tiny terror and a orange 2x12 and a gibson sg that is faded or something like that. I like rock stuff with riffs. also, as far as styles, there are lots of styles I like with mixes of punk, garage rock, grunge, dirty sounding blues, basically anything with good overdrive/distortion/fuzz is what I find myself typically playing. I like just messing around with a few effects and trying to mix in new things with old things. I just love playing my tiny terror mostly. The thing is inspiring in and of itself.

the gray area
Tiny Terror

Post by the gray area » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:15 am

Mostly I use a DT. We are a gigging band & don't spend much time recording, we do a lot of early or classic punk & dirty RocknRoll type stuff. If you think of bands like; Damned, Johnny Thunders, Clash, Dead Kennedys, Ramones- that's the kind of sounds we go for.
Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Gretsch G6128 Duo Jet, 1997 AS Fender Tele, 1968 Framus BL15.

Wienbrock ME-3pro Orange DT, Blackheart BH100, Custom 2x12 VC30, Custom 2x12 CL80
Some other stuff & a large vodka.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:34 pm

Les Paul and Viger used in:

RV50: Jazz, blues, indy/hard rock

AD5: Blues, indy/hard rock

Though the AD5 can do Jazz at very low clean volume.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Cool, thanks for the replies. I haven't been online for a while to read them. Looks like a fairly versatile bunch already, i didn't realise Orange appealed so much to the Punk musicians, but i guess that's a genre i never pay attention to these days. I do like some Dead Kennedys though, they seemed to have a bit more of a unique style compared to a lot of punk bands of the era. I'll check out some of you guys' links when i can, i'm using WIFI at the Library at the moment, and no headphones!
It would still be great for other users to chime in and say what they're playing.
I generally say i play "jazz", but not in any traditional sense. I like a lot of traditional stuff like Coltrane but find the more exploratory and experimental guys give me more. Miles Davis is probably my only true influence, Bitches Brew changed the way i played forever. Now days i'm trying to get a couple of projects off the ground. Lots of solo ambient work with my Moogs and the some funkier, heavier stuff with a drummer and other musicians. I call it "Doom-Jazz" as it relies a lot on atmospherics but with a pure jazz improvisational outlook that brings funk, dub, ambience, electronics, middle eastern music and monolithic heaviness into a big, weird musical stew.
I'm also working on a Death Metal project called Kangaroo. Not a band, but i wanted to record a Death Metal album with jazz sections and funky synth. The demo is nearly done so i'll post a link for any adventurous listeners...
Don't worry, i greatly dislike Death Metal too!!
Anyway, keep posting. I'd like to meet you all! I'll check out your stuff when i can.
Kian.

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:39 pm

fiaj wrote:Cool, thanks for the replies. I haven't been online for a while to read them. Looks like a fairly versatile bunch already, i didn't realise Orange appealed so much to the Punk musicians, but i guess that's a genre i never pay attention to these days. I do like some Dead Kennedys though, they seemed to have a bit more of a unique style compared to a lot of punk bands of the era. I'll check out some of you guys' links when i can, i'm using WIFI at the Library at the moment, and no headphones!
It would still be great for other users to chime in and say what they're playing.
I generally say i play "jazz", but not in any traditional sense. I like a lot of traditional stuff like Coltrane but find the more exploratory and experimental guys give me more. Miles Davis is probably my only true influence, Bitches Brew changed the way i played forever. Now days i'm trying to get a couple of projects off the ground. Lots of solo ambient work with my Moogs and the some funkier, heavier stuff with a drummer and other musicians. I call it "Doom-Jazz" as it relies a lot on atmospherics but with a pure jazz improvisational outlook that brings funk, dub, ambience, electronics, middle eastern music and monolithic heaviness into a big, weird musical stew.
I'm also working on a Death Metal project called Kangaroo. Not a band, but i wanted to record a Death Metal album with jazz sections and funky synth. The demo is nearly done so i'll post a link for any adventurous listeners...
Don't worry, i greatly dislike Death Metal too!!
Anyway, keep posting. I'd like to meet you all! I'll check out your stuff when i can.
Kian.
Well, you can technically add me to the "punk rock" musician group as well then. I was reared on Punk Rock and Hardcore and heavily involved in, and played in bands in the Texas Hardcore scene through the 80's, when I was a teen through my early to mid 20's. Still love a lot of that stuff too. Eventually, my style evolved, but I still hold a very "Punk Rock" approach to playing. Meaning - just pick the damn guitar up, plug it in and make SOUNDS that feel good and sound awesome!

I do still and ALWAYS will LIVE by the philosophy and ethos of it though. Even if I've gone a bit "heavier" as far as the music I play now. Long live the Diehard!

You're right though, lots of us have it in our lineage. Never thought about it before.
Rockerverb 50 MK I head
Miscellaneous PPC212's and PPC412's
Gibson Satin Ebony Les Paul Studio
Gibson Fireburst Les Paul Studio

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:09 am

I guess I'll be the weirdo here in the bunch! I actually use my TH30 mostly for spanish classic rock, or as we call it simply rock en español. Mainly tunes from the 80's and early 90's. Name of the bands? You would probably not know them but just as a reference... "enanitos verdes" "soda stereo" "miguel mateos" and thing like that. (hehe I can almost see your mouths trying to pronounce those words...) i owever, give it a "bit" more gain than the original recordings, and sounds glorious.

Now when it comes to english..l love messing with some foreigner tunes, def lepard, billy Idol, early clapton, etc. basically good ol' classic rock.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Indie pop-ish stuff influenced by Guided by Voices, Pixies, Jawbreaker, New Order, Flamin' Groovies (Shake Some Action era), Ramones, The Cars, The Cure, Knapsack, The Smiths, Archers of Loaf, Tom Petty, The Nerves, Television, and hundreds of other bands.