Flying with your guitar. What do you guys do?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Kiaser Sohsai
Rocker

Re: Flying with your guitar. What do you guys do?

Post by Kiaser Sohsai » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:05 am

I try to avoid ever flying through the States with a guitar, but I've done Quantas, Czech Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet, Austrian Air and Air France. I've taken my J150 back and forth from Europe the last few times with the Gibson TKL case and a TSL lock. Detune the strings, put some extra shirts around the body and especially the headstock and you should be fine.

I've seen people walking with Rickenbacker's in HSC in Germany and lots of people with gig bags all over the place, but you never know what they can do to you when you turn up. Plan for the worst (checked) and try ask to carry on.
Many guitars, many amps, no talent and no girlfriend... I get the feeling they're all connected somehow...

http://www.facebook.com/newepics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:40 am

Yep, I 've got TSA locks on the case. And the case is really, really stout and has a really nice headstock area which sort of "suspends" the headstock. I will of course pad the headstock area better though.

Yep, I intentionally booked my flight at the rear of the plane both ways to ensure I would be among the first coach passengers to board.

Yep, I'm checking my regular "luggage" bag. Although I will be taking a smaller piece of luggage to check this time. One that WILL fit carry on dimensions if they try to make me baggage check the guitar, I will not pay to check 2 pieces of luggage. I'll probably carry on a book with the case though. I need to finish that Phil Lynott biography :).

I've had SKB cases before, but this one takes it to a whole new level. I'm not sure if it is as rugged as say an Anvil, but it's damn nice, and much lighter. It's waterproof with a self sealing gasket and also has an auto air pressure valve which supposedly "auto adjusts" to changes in air pressure. Really impressed with it. Anyway, not trying to blather on about my case, just thinking if I have to gate check it OR check it with regular luggage it would be ok as far as protecting the LP.

I flew with an old Charvel, like YEARS ago. I just wrapped a belt around the wooden case and checked that one with baggage, no issues. But that was jeez, 15, maybe 20 years ago. I haven't flown with a guitar since the security changes. I know just traveling WITHOUT a guitar these days is nerve wracking enough.
Rockerverb 50 MK I head
Miscellaneous PPC212's and PPC412's
Gibson Satin Ebony Les Paul Studio
Gibson Fireburst Les Paul Studio

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:45 am

Cordboard wrote:I for one do not do the gig bag on board routine, since other folks seem to think that shovey pushy smashy is an acceptable way of stowing overhead bags! This is also a contingency against getting hosed and being forced to check the guitar. I have had some major wars at the check in counter about that - sage advice from Billy to have the rules in hand.

Having said that, I have carried on that particular style of case several time and had no issues. Some tips

1) Try your best to get on the plane asap, always easier to be the first one to get in an overhead space, so then folks with duffle bags, etc. can put their stuff on top.

2) If it does not fit in the overhead (happens quite often on international flights), kindly ask the steward/stewardess if you can throw it in a closet or behind the last row of seats in coach. You would be surprised how nice those folks can be if you are not that dude getting on the plane last with obscene carry on stowage needs.

3) Number two is easier if you do not have another big bag in your hands! Check that one instead of the guitar.
Yep, I would rather show up with it in a hard case and be forced to baggage check it than get stuffed and with a gig-bag. You've flown with a flight style case and had no real issues bringing it on then?

Funny, I'm flying into Dallas with the LP from Burbank. But flying out of San Antonio on my return. I expect San Antonio (my hometown) to be the battle ground at the airport :). If there is any conflict of course.
Rockerverb 50 MK I head

Cordboard
Tiny Terror

Post by Cordboard » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:58 am

whiteyanderson wrote:
Yep, I would rather show up with it in a hard case and be forced to baggage check it than get stuffed and with a gig-bag. You've flown with a flight style case and had no real issues bringing it on then?

Funny, I'm flying into Dallas with the LP from Burbank. But flying out of San Antonio on my return. I expect San Antonio (my hometown) to be the battle ground at the airport :). If there is any conflict of course.
It is a little easier with the "guitar shaped" SKS case, but yes, I have been able to get on with the rectangular ones as well. Be warned, everyone will ask you if you have a rifle in there!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:45 pm

I forgot to post what I currently do now.

1. I bought a Traveler (brand name) guitar that easily gets on the plane as a carry on. Nice compact guitar with a full sized finger board and it's good to just practice on.

2. I flew to Italy maybe 12 years ago on a trip and I took an electric on board as a carry on. I play Fender type guitars mostly and with the bolt on neck I just packed an extra set of strings, took the neck off and packed the body and neck in a backpack with padding. Worked great!

Disclaimer: #2 is not approved for Gibson or through neck guitars.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:07 am

Thinline_slim wrote:
Disclaimer: #2 is not approved for Gibson or through neck guitars.
:D
Rockerverb 50 MK I head