Flying with your guitar. What do you guys do?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Flying with your guitar. What do you guys do?

Post by whiteyanderson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:05 am

I'll be flying with my LP on the 15th for week long rehearsals. I've got a nice SKB military grade molded waterproof TSA locked Les Paul flight case for it.

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/ ... &c=75&s=75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm flying American into DFW, booked my seat at the back of the plane, etc. Read the AA terms "guitars can be brought on board if there is room to be stowed". Read about the gate check and read about all the nightmares. It is insured through Music Pro. It's not a real expensive guitar, but it's mine.

Any tips or bases I have not covered?
Rockerverb 50 MK I head
Miscellaneous PPC212's and PPC412's
Gibson Satin Ebony Les Paul Studio
Gibson Fireburst Les Paul Studio

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Flying with your guitar. What do you guys do?

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:24 am

I'd bring a Flying V instead of the Les Paul :lol: .

It obviously makes more sense to carry it on if possible. The main thing to do is loosen the strings to relieve pressure on the headstock/neck joint.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:26 am

I bring a gigbag and carry it on - put it in the overhead. They have to let you...

http://www.theallens.theallens.com/AFM_carryon.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Print it out if it makes you feel better but everyone I know has had no issue.

Colonel Sanders

Post by Colonel Sanders » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:40 pm

I shove my Steinberger L2 in its gig bag, put it on the big conveyor and wave it goodbye. So far, I have always collected it intact after 4 years of flying back and forth the mine site twice a week.

Needles to say, I would not treat my other basses like this. I bought the Steinberger as my travel bass.
Fender Precision 1969, Fender Jazz 1975, Rickenbacker 4003 1990 Jetglo, Rickenbacker 4001v63 1997 Fireglo, Rickenbacker 4003 2011 Mapleglo, Steinberger L2 1983, Orange AD200B mk3/OBC115, Eden WT550/410XLT.

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:54 pm

i've done what billy and the others say, but i often travel with several.

so, i case them, and wrap each case in grey duct tape. specifically, i wrap each lock on the case. i use grey tape because it is visible.

i've never had a problem. if you have decent hardshell cases, you're good to go.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:08 pm

bclaire wrote:I bring a gigbag and carry it on - put it in the overhead. They have to let you...

http://www.theallens.theallens.com/AFM_carryon.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Print it out if it makes you feel better but everyone I know has had no issue.
If this is the case, print it out.

FLYING UNITED AIRLINES - Which I will never fly again because of this.
I wasn't aware of this and I had brought a Taylor 314ce in a gig bag to a wedding. The trip there was no problem. The trip back though there was a major bitch at the counter who refused to let me carry it on. Wanted me to check it with the rest of the luggage down below IN A GIG BAG and made me sign a waiver saying that if it was damaged, it wasn't the fault or responsibility of UA. Awesome.

Luckily my brother attended the same wedding, who was much smarter and flew Frontier airlines which left literally 10 minutes after our flight. I told him the story and asked him just to carry it on the plane without asking. Saved that guitar for sure.

Again, I won't ever fly UA unless it's a last resort. I've run into more than one surly employee there and a whole slew of unpleasant ones.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:50 pm

^united seems to have a bad rep with handling musicians. check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

this guy had his taylor broken by the baggage crew, saw them tossing around his guitar carelessly on the tarmac. united refused to compensate, so he made these videos. needless to say, they caved in :)

when i flew last, i just took a cheap $100 rogue acoustic with me on board. same deal as you though; on the way there, no problem. on the way back, the flight attendant wanted me to stow it (in its gig bag) in luggage and sign said agreement. even though before i flew i checked the "approved carry-on" dimensions and the case easily fit.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:06 pm

I was so hoping this was going to be a thread about flying guitar solos :lol:
Paul.

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:25 pm

According to American, carry on luggage must fit within said dimensions (45 linear inches or something to that effect), EXCEPT for guitars which may be carried on if there is room. Meaning the guitar in case can be larger than the standard carry on bags. Makes sense I suppose.

You just hear about all the nightmares. Of course you never hear about the non-nightmares. I should know better as that goes for everything online. Still a bit stressful.

My case is definitely bigger than a gig-bag. BUT, I don't want to carry it in a gig-bag and then be forced to check it with luggage, that would be a disaster.

I'm going to try to get it on the plane and if it won't fit in an overhead (although I read that any guitar in a case up to 48" in length will fit in most overheads), or if they don't have a coat closet, OR if they hassle me, I'll gate check it. I really don't have much of an issue gate checking.

I'll let you guys know how it goes upon my return.
Rockerverb 50 MK I head

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Can you still duct tape over the locks with all the TSA restrictions these days?
Rockerverb 50 MK I head

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:33 pm

whiteyanderson wrote:Can you still duct tape over the locks with all the TSA restrictions these days?

No, that dude is stuck in Arkansas circa 1971. Don't duct tape your locks, it gives them more of a reason to tamper with your case. You're just asking for it to miss your flight/connection if you're not able to carry it on.

The only time I've had my luggage lost was using non-tsa locks. My bag was probably delayed because they had to spend extra time searching my not normal bag for something stupid. I got it back fine but it was clearly searched and i had to wait a day.

BaBaBooey
Tiny Terror

Post by BaBaBooey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:52 pm

The first piece of BS is they tell you not to lock the case... If it's locked they will break it open, complete BS! I thought that was the point of an X-Ray machine. Then this little fruit behind the counter said that the airline was not liable for any damage done to my guitar.

For those reasons, along with all the other crap WE have to deal with to fly, I'm gonna try my damnedest to never fly again.

I've traveled/flown with a guitar 3 times... 2 times, they lost it... Got it back, but they lost it. My J-160E... twice.

Not trying to tell you not to travel with it, just be aware. Cus if it is lost, then you won't have your guitar for rehearsals anyway.

Cordboard
Tiny Terror

Post by Cordboard » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:58 am

I for one do not do the gig bag on board routine, since other folks seem to think that shovey pushy smashy is an acceptable way of stowing overhead bags! This is also a contingency against getting hosed and being forced to check the guitar. I have had some major wars at the check in counter about that - sage advice from Billy to have the rules in hand.

Having said that, I have carried on that particular style of case several time and had no issues. Some tips

1) Try your best to get on the plane asap, always easier to be the first one to get in an overhead space, so then folks with duffle bags, etc. can put their stuff on top.

2) If it does not fit in the overhead (happens quite often on international flights), kindly ask the steward/stewardess if you can throw it in a closet or behind the last row of seats in coach. You would be surprised how nice those folks can be if you are not that dude getting on the plane last with obscene carry on stowage needs.

3) Number two is easier if you do not have another big bag in your hands! Check that one instead of the guitar.

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:14 am

It seems to me like the airlines don't want musician types to be displaced from their babies and would rather not be the ones to break the million dollar viola. I did have to check at the gate before so I was glad I had a hard case... it was right there with the baby strollers when I got off. Otherwise, you carry it on like a badass, in which case a gig bag is too covert and convenient.... it just doesn't quite draw enough attention and you don't get to whack as many people with it in the aisles. :lol:

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:44 am

BaBaBooey wrote:The first piece of BS is they tell you not to lock the case... If it's locked they will break it open, complete BS!

That's the point of TSA approved locks. Qualified TSA agents can unlock them if they need (ie. want) to search your luggage, but it is protected against regular thieves.

Dude has an approved TSA case, he should be fine. Don't duct tape that sh*t, bro.