double amp question

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

reallyloud

double amp question

Post by reallyloud » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:45 am

so, I'm looking to enhance my rig by playing out of two heads at once, currently I've got an orange ad 30 htc, and I'm interested in getting a marshall jcm2000 dsl, now my question is if i have both of them set up since they only have one nput but two channels, is there a possible way that I can utilize both channels for each head?
as in:
orange clean
orange crunch
both clean
both crunch
marshall clean
marshall crunch

is there any a/b/y switcher that will work for this?

mr_william
Orange Master

Re: double amp question

Post by mr_william » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:34 pm

so basically, you want an a/b/y switcher and a channel switcher all in one box.

when you press the channel switch, it changes from channel 1 to channel 2 on both heads at the same time?

you may as well have another switch on it too for the marshall's reverb, just because you can...

if your wanting to go from clean on the marshall, then to the dirty on the orange (thats a change of channel AND a change of amps) all in one click, your gunna need a relay switcher...

where abouts are you based?

if your in the usa, maybe loopmaster would build you a custom unit pretty cheeply.
http://www.loop-master.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if your looking for the 1 click solution, it'd be possible with the gigrig stuff for sure. also, it may be possible with the carl martin octa switch too if your good at getting your head around how to wire it up! (you'd need a y splitter of some sort)

the joy of the relay based switchers, you'd be able to incorporate automated selections of effects into it all too!

check out the below youtube link to show whats possible!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmhZJ72bwPA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i'm currently running a similar set up, using 2 amps - however, i'm having to get a custom made switcher built as one of the amps is a single channel one. therefore i'm going for a volume pot inside a relay switch to roll some gain off on that, while the other amp just switches channels.

it's all easily possible... just depends how much you wanna spend and how many buttons you need to press at once.
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

reallyloud

Post by reallyloud » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Yeah I'm from the usa, and yeah I want to be able to switch between all six of those combos, that website seems really helpful.

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:27 pm

I hope you have two cabs to go with your two heads.

reallyloud

Post by reallyloud » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:19 am

is that absolutely necessary?
i was hoping I could manage with a cab that has a stereo input, but if it's not feasible that way, i suppose I could buy another cab.

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:58 am

you can use one cab aslong as it does have a stereo input.

most cabs with 2 sockets on are mono cabs. the second socket is for daisy chaining.

if you run both heads into a cab that isnt stereo, they could and most likely will break one or both heads.
Will.

reallyloud

Post by reallyloud » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:22 am

Very good to know,how can I tell the difference? I was looking into buying an avatar cab.

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:47 pm

most of them have a jack plate on the back with a switching option, between mono/stereo, which alows access to either 1 of the 2 speakers or 2 of the 4 speakers - depending if it's a 2x12 or 4x12.

alternitively, you could have each speaker/pair of speakers wired to one socket, the other/other pair wired to the other socket. making sure each side is at 16 ohms.

if you do that, you can run one pair from one amp, one from the other amp. you'd also be able to run both sides from one amp, using the 8 ohm taps.

doing it this way, your never gunna run the risk of plugging the 2 heads into each other and breaking anything.
Will.

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Hey let me know if you find such pedal switcher. I saw the gig rig site but couldn't find it.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch