JJ KT77's (initial thoughts)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

JJ KT77's (initial thoughts)

Post by nlimbaugh » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:48 am

My experience might counter what you've heard from others, but I'm sure you are all used to contradictory statements all over review boards. Overall, the sound/tone is awesome (in many instances), but the playability (for me) seems to be an acquired thing.

Anyway, they've been burned in by a tech.
All of my previous OR80 settings went out the window (due to the differences in these new tubes), so I'm kind of starting from scratch.
They break up a little quicker than my GTE34L's. When playing one string by itself, the transition to distortion seems to begin with an odd sizzle that kind of caught me by surprise... I wasn't enamored by it whatsoever... almost like a low buzzing. The strings seemed to be a bit oversensitive to touch (but I haven't played through the amp for awhile). Playing chords with moderate attack was an instant thick rock rock wall. However, as powerful as the chords are, there seems to be an articulation (of each individual string) that I'm missing... like too blended. I wasn't initially able to get as much as I'm used to by way of dynamics (that was pleasing to my ear) with picking attack. When playing one string while others are ringing, some magic harmonics are emerging... quite special. But, the feedback isn't happening for me yet... instead of embracing it, I find myself running away from it.

Since my amp got fixed, there are definitely a lot of variables that I'm dealing with, but I can definitely say that the KT77's have a sound that is clearly discernable from my other tubes. I took a break for a couple hours. When I return, I notice that I'm moved to start writing a song that fits the KT's style (without thinking about it). Though, I lost my train of thought and began tinkering again. The touch sensitive areas that bothered me have become more musical to my ears and are no longer irksome. I'm learning how to work with the distortion better and the feedback has also greatly improved. I find myself finding songs of mine that really kick with this sound (where they were harder to make happen with my GT's).

All in all, the tubes have killer sounds, it's just bridging what's killer when playing (for me). I honestly felt like a different player playing someone else's style (not necessarily a bad thing). The tubes really are cool and I feel I'll get better as I am learning how to play them. It felt great when I was moved to play new and old pieces with new vigor simply because of the novel sound.... I still can't make a clean single string get to edge of distortion with any kind sonic grace, but this was day one. As great as the fat chords sound... they are really a treat, I still fell like a stranger to myself when I play them.... I am just used to a real articulate crunch. I'm definitely going to learn to bias so I can get further into this new world of tubes. I'm having a lot of fun and have no complaints all things considered.