The Quireboys - all Orange backline

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jontheid
Orange Expert

The Quireboys - all Orange backline

Post by jontheid » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:02 pm

Saw this lot at the Garage in Highbury and Islington the other night, great set - the singer looked like he was having a whale of a time.
Anyway - all the amps on stage were Orange: two TH30s, an AD30 and a AD200B.
Sounded great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tWYkwMv8r4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vid doesn't do it justice at all . .
Cheers
Jon

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Re: The Quireboys - all Orange backline

Post by Stainboy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:14 pm

I always dug that band. They were billed as The London Quireboys over here. They were getting a lot of push with the Black Crowes in the 90s, but I always liked The Quireboys better. Dirtier and an obvious nod to The Faces. They sound great in the video.

Another band that I really love from that time was Thee Hypnotics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSFkutR7tq4

I saw 'em live and they were amazing! They seem almost totally forgotten over here.
"What I call a dream involves Diana Dors and a bottle of chip oil!"

Swipe Card HERE

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Stainboy wrote:Another band that I really love from that time was Thee Hypnotics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSFkutR7tq4

I saw 'em live and they were amazing! They seem almost totally forgotten over here.
Awesome band - their singer Jim Jones has a new band these days, the Jim Jones Revue - check them out if you don't know them already Greg, think you'll love them! Really heavy, scuzzy, 50s influenced rock'n'roll with tons of energy. Their bassist and keyboardist used Orange too incidentally when we gigged with them on a couple of occasions.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:50 pm

I met Jim Jones the other night. Seemed like a really nice guy, not stuck up or up his own arse at all.
Which was nice.

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Post by Stainboy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:18 am

Teddy, I'm definitely up on the Jim Jones Revue, great stuff. I don't have any JJR, but now that you've reminded me I'm of to Amazon! Also noticed a white Orange in one of their recent vids on their site. Looked like a white AD200B.

That's cool to hear you met Jim, jontheld. I could never understand why Thee Hypnotics never took off over here. I remember seeing them live and thinking "these guys are gonna be huge!". I have the first two records on vinyl and they get plenty of time on the turntable. Really great records and killer guitar sounds.

Swipe Card HERE

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:17 am

Stainboy wrote:Teddy, I'm definitely up on the Jim Jones Revue, great stuff. I don't have any JJR, but now that you've reminded me I'm of to Amazon! Also noticed a white Orange in one of their recent vids on their site. Looked like a white AD200B.
Yeah, it's the bassist's AD200B.

Sadly for me I don't enjoy their record as much as I enjoyed them live, mainly because of how they recorded it. It's done live, but seemingly with every input on the desk cranked to max. EVERYTHING is harshly overloading and distorting in a nasty way, which I guess was a deliberate stylistic decision, but it is pretty fatiguing on the ears after a couple of minutes... it's also one of the loudest records I've heard!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Post by Stainboy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:56 am

Le Chat Noir wrote:Sadly for me I don't enjoy their record as much as I enjoyed them live, mainly because of how they recorded it. It's done live, but seemingly with every input on the desk cranked to max. EVERYTHING is harshly overloading and distorting in a nasty way, which I guess was a deliberate stylistic decision, but it is pretty fatiguing on the ears after a couple of minutes... it's also one of the loudest records I've heard!
Yeah, I noticed that listening to the samples. At first I thought it they were just crummy samples and then I realized the whole thing is just severely brickwalled. I don't mind loud mastering or hard compression if it works within the music, but like you said, it's just fatiguing and not exciting at all. This is the reason I always buy "remasters" of older records with a lot of caution now. I have The Stooges Raw Power that Iggy "remastered" and that one is just constant clipping. Complete crap.

Swipe Card HERE

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:18 pm

The "Death Magnetic" effect :)
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:40 pm

jontheid wrote:Saw this lot at the Garage in Highbury and Islington the other night, great set - the singer looked like he was having a whale of a time.
Anyway - all the amps on stage were Orange: two TH30s, an AD30 and a AD200B.
Guitarist Paul Guerin talks about his guitar collection in Decembers 'Guitar & Bass' magazine. He says his main touring amp is normally a JCM2000 TSL modded to beef up the bass, but he really likes his P.90 guitars through both his R.30 and AD30 heads.

FWIW in the same issues annual 'Awards' feature Orange amps double scored in the 'Guitar amps under £1,000' section. The Dark Terror took first prize and the TH100 a highly recommended. Not bad! 8)

Not that I pay any attention to guitar mags you understand... :P

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:
Stainboy wrote:Another band that I really love from that time was Thee Hypnotics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSFkutR7tq4

Awesome band - their singer Jim Jones has a new band these days, the Jim Jones Revue - check them out if you don't know them already Greg, think you'll love them! Really heavy, scuzzy, 50s influenced rock'n'roll with tons of energy. Their bassist and keyboardist used Orange too incidentally when we gigged with them on a couple of occasions.
We saw Jim Jones Revue over here and they were amazing! Sadly only about 125 people in the audience but it was 9/11 so...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:
Stainboy wrote:Teddy, I'm definitely up on the Jim Jones Revue, great stuff. I don't have any JJR, but now that you've reminded me I'm of to Amazon! Also noticed a white Orange in one of their recent vids on their site. Looked like a white AD200B.
Yeah, it's the bassist's AD200B.

Sadly for me I don't enjoy their record as much as I enjoyed them live, mainly because of how they recorded it. It's done live, but seemingly with every input on the desk cranked to max. EVERYTHING is harshly overloading and distorting in a nasty way, which I guess was a deliberate stylistic decision, but it is pretty fatiguing on the ears after a couple of minutes... it's also one of the loudest records I've heard!
Yeah, I totally agree with you about their records... the distortion could be cool if done subtlely but it's harsh and over the top. It sounds more like digital distortion that analog distortion, too, which would make it even harsher...

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:56 pm

a.hun wrote: FWIW in the same issues annual 'Awards' feature Orange amps double scored in the 'Guitar amps under £1,000' section. The Dark Terror took first prize and the TH100 a highly recommended. Not bad! 8)

Not that I pay any attention to guitar mags you understand... :P

Andy.
:lol:

Yeah but its fine when it's aimed at a brand we like :mrgreen:
Paul.

BurritoBass

Post by BurritoBass » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:38 pm

I caught the Quireboys live in Southampton & that Orange backline looked most impressive. I've seen them a few times & followed the band since the first single. I came on the Orange site to see if they were mentioned :D