Versatile Bass Drum mic

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Re: Versatile Bass Drum mic

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:46 pm

In which case, the Shure or EV will be fine. The AKG D112 is fine too - just get it in the kick a few inches from where the beater strikes, and you should be able to EQ it quick & easy from there.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

bmxbandit
Orange Hero

Post by bmxbandit » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Have you looked into the Audix D6?
http://therestlessdays.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:41 pm

irish_admiral wrote:In which case, the Shure or EV will be fine. The AKG D112 is fine too - just get it in the kick a few inches from where the beater strikes, and you should be able to EQ it quick & easy from there.
I place the D112 with the tip about 1" into the kick. I don't point it at the beater though. I point it straight, so it kind of picks up the resonance of the wood and the batter head more than it would if it was pointed straight at the beater.
Monty

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:46 pm

I do the same as Monty with my D112. With the kit I use to record, I had to boost around 80 Hz until I can feel it.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:10 pm

Yeah, to be honest, positioning the mic is all preference once you've got it in the kick drum - I prefer a bit more of the beater click, so I put it there.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

mc2
Tiny Terror

Post by mc2 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:45 pm

Shure SM57 is a great classic "all around" mic that works decent on a kick drum. Used it for years in PA and my studio, although I now have a more specific kick mic. I did tons of great recordings with the 57.

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Agree with the above. You can do loads of things with a 57 - kick drum, snare, toms, bass, guitar, brass, vocals.
I used to do live sound at a venue where the kick drum mic was a 57 gaffa taped to a large chunk of foam (by me). It worked great and it solved a lot of mic stand problems as you could just pop it through the hole in the front skin and rest it on the floor of the kick drum.

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:16 pm

. . . which takes me back to one of my original ideas—57 with an Earthworks Kickpad. No difference in cost than the average kick mic.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Code: Select all

you could just pop it through the hole in the front skin and rest it on the floor of the kick drum
That works so long as it's isolated effectively from the floor of the kick drum by the foam, else the mic will pick up vibrations from that too. Can be a nuisance else.
Joe

G(sus) saves