Best bang for the buck pickups - your opinion!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Stringjunkie
Tiny Terror

Re: Best bang for the buck pickups - your opinion!

Post by Stringjunkie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:03 pm

I have MHD pups in 2 of my guitars. The company is Madhouse Designs and the winders name is Rayne. These are all handwound to your specs and Rayne is great at talking you through to give you exactly what you're looking for.

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:17 pm

I'd go with Toneriders, as well - I had a pair of their Generators in an Ibanez RG450 a while back. Awesome dirty rock n' roll sounding bridge pickup, and the one in the neck was the sweetest sounding thing I've ever heard!

Similar price point, I've had a couple of Irongear pickups put in one of my Les Paul-alikes - I'm selling it but I wanted to keep the chrome EMGs I'd fitted, so I bought the Irongears coz they were cheap. I'll be trying it out before I sell it, for sure!

EDIT: Yes, I'm not fitting them myself... I solder like a chimp in boxing gloves, my friend's doing it for me :)
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:59 am

How'd you find the Irongear pickups?

I only know one other person who tried them, and he'd only ever tried Epi stock pickups, so from his frame of reference, they were (understandably) awesome. Just wondered what you thought of them?

Sense a few of us are going off the 'value' proposition here and just chucking in our favourite brands...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:54 am

irish_admiral wrote:Sense a few of us are going off the 'value' proposition here and just chucking in our favourite brands...
Yeah, I'd noticed that too - I intended this as a discussion on the best of the budget pickups, i.e. anything from the big mass produced brands downwards rather than boutique stuff! I'd still stand by the Toneriders being just as good as pickups costing three times as much that I've owned in the past though :)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:34 pm

MaxProphet wrote:toneriders come in classic vibes, they are made in the same factory. although they aren't "toneriders" brand they are virtually the same pickups. ie. 50 classic vibe= toneriders Hot Classics Set - TRT2. that's what i read on the internet anyway, must be true
Funnily enough while reading this thread I was thinking to myself "the p/ups in my Squier CV '50s Tele"! If that internet rumour is true that might well explain it. :idea:

At any rate there really isn't a lot wrong with the sounds from these guitars. You just read that on the internet too so it must be true! :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:36 pm

irish_admiral wrote:How'd you find the Irongear pickups?

I only know one other person who tried them, and he'd only ever tried Epi stock pickups, so from his frame of reference, they were (understandably) awesome. Just wondered what you thought of them?

Sense a few of us are going off the 'value' proposition here and just chucking in our favourite brands...
I haven't got the guitar back yet Joe, it's down in Rugby and I'm up in Derby - when I do I'll be sure to post a review before I sell the guitar :)
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:50 pm

+1 for Tonerider, like their buckersized P90s

But my favourite pup maker is leosounds.de/, have his pups in my Strat, Tele & Les Paul and they all sound great. He has this nice sparkly highend without too much uppermidharshness + a nice warm bottom in his pups.

TeleOrangeMan

Post by TeleOrangeMan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:40 am

For humbuckers, I got turned on to Rio Grandes and now have them in 4 Telecasters. I have two John5 Squier Teles and 2 Jim Root Mahagony Teles. They all have Rio Grande BBQ Buckers in the bridge and Genuine Texas pickups in the neck. I play mostly heavier sounding stuff and have used Seymour Duncans in the past as well as EMGs. These RIO GRANDE pickups are the best all around that I've ever come across. I can't tout them enough. Awesome tones. http://www.riograndepickups.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D :D

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:14 pm

I'm cool with regular old Gibson p90s.

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:04 am

I'm pretty cool with the SD Alnico II and Pearly Gates humbuckers. And the TV Jones Tearmonds (ok that last one is not a mass produced pup but it's not stupid expensive.)

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:23 am

I've always done well with Duncans. Custom 5 and a 59 neck do it for me. I like the Jazz in the neck too though. JBs are nice as are the Alnico Pro IIs. Best bang for buck in my eyes especially in the states. Not sure about across the pond though. I imagine they're reasonable there too.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:35 am

brianr0131 wrote:I've always done well with Duncans. Custom 5 and a 59 neck do it for me. I like the Jazz in the neck too though. JBs are nice as are the Alnico Pro IIs. Best bang for buck in my eyes especially in the states. Not sure about across the pond though. I imagine they're reasonable there too.
They're basically the same figure in GBP as they are in USD, e.g. a 70 dollar pickup is 70 quid here - which makes them less of a bargain but still not boutique prices. It does mean they're double the cost of stuff like Toneriders here though.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:
brianr0131 wrote:I've always done well with Duncans. Custom 5 and a 59 neck do it for me. I like the Jazz in the neck too though. JBs are nice as are the Alnico Pro IIs. Best bang for buck in my eyes especially in the states. Not sure about across the pond though. I imagine they're reasonable there too.
They're basically the same figure in GBP as they are in USD, e.g. a 70 dollar pickup is 70 quid here - which makes them less of a bargain but still not boutique prices. It does mean they're double the cost of stuff like Toneriders here though.
Yea, That makes it a bit tough. I know tone riders are well received.

I know you don't play clean much......you may wanna check out a Custom 5 its a SLAMMING dirty pickup.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7