Orange Craving

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

savage8190
Orange Master

Orange Craving

Post by savage8190 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:15 am

Man, I dunno whats wrong with me...I had an RV, and I chose my AC30 over it. Then the TT, then the DT...all gone and my AC still sits here. But the last few days I've just been really wanting some Orange goodness...I dont think any amp can sound quite like it. I cant help but wonder if the one I always wanted to try but never have would be more to my liking...the Rocker 30.

I think there has been lots of posts comparing the R30 to the RV, but where does the Rocker sit in with the RV and the Terrors? I liked all the ones Ive had a lot...but I had issues with them all too. My problem with the RV was that it was a little too compressed and....I dont really know how to put it other than snappy. Like it was hitting my ears hard even at lower volumes...maybe just all the compression and focused attack? Thats why I like the AC30, its very open sounding by comparison. The TT was pretty awesome, but had ZERO headroom...and the DT just sounded different, and I didnt like anything about it for some reason.

So what about the Rocker? I like the simplicity of it...I dont use a loop, and I dont use on-board verb...the lack of eq is no biggie...if not preferred. I never went past about 2 o'clock on the gain with the RV at the MOST. I think a simpler, spongier version of the RV would be sweet.

Or is there another Orange flavoured amp I should try to find and try out? Ive tried the AD too and I wasn't a fan...but that about covers it. I dont know much about the other Orange models out there...what about the TV?

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Orange Craving

Post by jason41224 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:39 am

i've played all three, and tone-wise, i think the Rocker is somewhere directly between the TT or RV. more gain than the TT, but not as much as the Rockerverb. it's fuzzy--like the TT, but it still has a little bit of high end fizziness at higher levels like the RV.

feelwise, the R30 is the most dynamic. meaning volume changes with your picking attack, not just gain (which is what i found with the Rockerverb, and to a lesser extent, the TT).

i think it would be a good match for you. would you be biamping? or one at a time?
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:18 am

jason41224 wrote:i've played all three, and tone-wise, i think the Rocker is somewhere directly between the TT or RV. more gain than the TT, but not as much as the Rockerverb. it's fuzzy--like the TT, but it still has a little bit of high end fizziness at higher levels like the RV.

feelwise, the R30 is the most dynamic. meaning volume changes with your picking attack, not just gain (which is what i found with the Rockerverb, and to a lesser extent, the TT).

i think it would be a good match for you. would you be biamping? or one at a time?
How you describe it is exactly how I was thinking about it, which is why I thought it might be more up my alley...I NEED lots of dynamic range with how I play too which is my favourite thing about the Vox.

I would probably bi-amp once in awhile because the Vox and Orange, no matter which one, sounded soooo good together. Mostly I play one amp though and the Rocker would probably be a better grab and go too.

I also recently bought a Fender Deville and its awesome...right now Im actually liking it better than the Vox.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:02 am

savage8190 wrote:Man, I dunno whats wrong with me...I had an RV, and I chose my AC30 over it. Then the TT, then the DT...all gone and my AC still sits here. But the last few days I've just been really wanting some Orange goodness...I dont think any amp can sound quite like it.
I'm the same but with an AD instead of an AC - I have been working my way round all the sub-30w Oranges ever since I got my AD30 and nothing has ever dethroned it... the Rocker 30 and Tiny Terror were both great amps in their own rights, but in the end the feel and 'fuzzy chime' of the AD30 just gave it an edge and they were moved on. I know it's probably not what you want to hear but to be honest if you've tried those other Oranges and keep coming back to the AC30, I don't think the Rocker will unseat it for you either!

Have you ever tried an AD30? If you love the AC30's character but want a bit more Orangey darkness and muscularity to your sound, I reckon it'd be the obvious choice!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:19 pm

The R30 and RV50 have similar clean channel to an extent, but they are very different amps, their name is misleading to an extent.

It does sound like the R30 should be more your thing - or the AD30 as Teddy suggested.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote: Have you ever tried an AD30? If you love the AC30's character but want a bit more Orangey darkness and muscularity to your sound, I reckon it'd be the obvious choice!
Maybe I'll have to have another go with the AD. I've tried it once, and I wasn't a huge fan...but in its defense I was playing it in a loud store at a relatively low volume with a guitar I'd never used before (and wasn't a fan of either)...not optimal.

I still do really like the AC, but I've come to feel that the sound may be a bit thin...I never really noticed it until I started playing it with the Fender and switching between them. They both do somethings really well though, and they both have their weaknesses.

Not runnin' out to buy an Orange just yet, but I'll give 'em another go...I feel a long trip to get strings coming on this weekend :).

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:12 pm

savage8190 wrote:Maybe I'll have to have another go with the AD. I've tried it once, and I wasn't a huge fan...but in its defense I was playing it in a loud store at a relatively low volume with a guitar I'd never used before (and wasn't a fan of either)...not optimal.
The AD30 is an amp that really only shows its true character when cranked - preferably the master on full and gain to taste. Once the master goes below about 3 o'clock it starts to lose its mojo! Definitely see if you can try one at proper volumes before you decide :)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

FFXIhealer

Post by FFXIhealer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Oh God, don't even get me started on my Orange G.A.S. Background: I own a Fender Mustang II, Fender Mustang V head, F412 Cabinet, Marshall Lead 12 Microstack, Marshall JVM410H, and a Marshall 1960A Lead cabinet. I totally want to add an Orange amp to this mix.

I went to my local music store and they have an Orange AD30 dual-channel hooked up to an Orange PPC 212 CB cab, but also have a 112 next to it I could switch to. I cranked the gain to max and pulled back the volume (to save my precious ears) and I absolutely LOVE the british crunch I got from the 112. The 212 seemed to lose a lot of the treble response of the crunch and just drowned everything with bass and mids.

I'm considering getting a Rockerverb 50 and a PPC 412-A cab to match my Marshall JVM half-stack, but I can't afford it at the moment. I gotta save up. And NO, I won't be selling any of my other cool pile of poop because they're awesome and I want them.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:43 pm

FFXIhealer wrote:I went to my local music store and they have an Orange AD30 dual-channel hooked up to an Orange PPC 212 CB cab, but also have a 112 next to it I could switch to. I cranked the gain to max and pulled back the volume (to save my precious ears) and I absolutely LOVE the british crunch I got from the 112. The 212 seemed to lose a lot of the treble response of the crunch and just drowned everything with bass and mids.
The AD30 is complimented best by open back cabs I've found. I owned a PPC212CB briefly and also a PPC412 and my AD30TC sounded much, much better to me through its own open back combo than either. I'd definitely recommend the combo or the open backed 2x12 for the AD30.

As I mentioned above, the AD30's sound enters another league if you can crank the master, so if you were pleased with the sound with gain up and master down you'll be even more pleased if you get a chance to really open one up! I once recorded with the AD30 set to max gain and volume, it was nice ;) Most venues won't allow it that loud though.
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:50 pm

FFX, just don't buy the rockerverb based on liking the AD30, they are VERY different amps. The AD is more classic brit crunch, a bit old school in a way, the Rockerverb are very much more modern tone wise.

Some may like one and not the other. They can both cover the same ground, but quite differently.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:27 pm

So I guess, of the amps mentioned, they could sort of be organized in this order from most open/dynamic/loose/classic gain to most compressed/hard hitting/fizzy gain...

AC30
AD30
Terror/Rocker (don't know which would go first)
RV

Does that seem about right?

Ive been listening to youtube this morning and from the clips Ive heard I like the sound of the AD way more than the Rocker...I never judge solely based on the net, but it seems like it might be more up my alley. Plus, having the Fender which takes pedals better than my AC, and sounds, in general, better than the AC for cleans and drive (to me anyway)....

I might just have to consider doing a swap at some point (of course, if I actually like the AD once I give it a run through).

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:41 pm

^terror would definitely be less gain/aggressiveness than the rocker. but yes, that would be correct.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:50 pm

jason41224 wrote:^terror would definitely be less gain/aggressiveness than the rocker. but yes, that would be correct.
Hmm...ya then the Rocker probably wouldn't do it for me. There was more gain than I would ever typically use in the Terror so the Rocker would be overkill.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:20 pm

If you're looking for dynamics I would put the OR120 at the top of that list :mrgreen:

I certainly wouldn't call the ORs loose though...they are quite the opposite.
Paul.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:53 pm

savage8190 wrote:
jason41224 wrote:^terror would definitely be less gain/aggressiveness than the rocker. but yes, that would be correct.
Hmm...ya then the Rocker probably wouldn't do it for me. There was more gain than I would ever typically use in the Terror so the Rocker would be overkill.
hey now, just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it :D my favorite setting is with the gain at about noon, and at that setting it has much less than the TT. I say all this speculation could be taken either way. check out some videos and see for yourself, if you can't find one to try in person
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals