Too many alternate tunings? Check it out

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:31 pm

When I saw Jeff Martin of The Tea PArty do a clininc the other day, he talked about a Les Paul he has with this system installed on it. It allows you to store hundreds of alternate tunings right in the guitar and the bridge saddles move to tune the guitar to pitch. He says he has 59 stored so far. Looks like they have a pretty impressive list of users on it including PAge. Martin also said, it's not like the Gibson Robot guitars that are pile of poop.
http://axcenttuning.com/index.html

MXRFiend

Re: Too many alternate tunings? Check it out

Post by MXRFiend » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:38 pm

I'll stick with the old fashion way.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:44 pm

The big console thing on the front of the guitars equipped with it looks pretty goofy! ;)

On a practical note, most people I know who regularly use alt tunings like to have different guitars with different string gauges picked to suit the various tunings - I just don't see how 59 different tunings on one guitar would even work without changing the string gauges all the time too!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:47 pm

Never understood the need for all of these alternate tunings. During the course of making a record, I can see experimenting and using many, but for live performance, I feel like you should be able to get by without using all of them. I would always have a backup guitar for a show, and maybe use it for some alternate tunings, but for the most part, I think you're better just sticking to something and working the song out even if it does sound a bit different than the album......so many other factors come into play too, like string guages, and having the other band members keep up with the tunings too if you have multiple guitarists, etc. During a gig, you want simple and reliable, period.

I'll never buy a robot guitar or anything similar, I like my stuff straight up without all of these add-ons.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Cool concept for people who use 59 different tunings but man it's ugly! There is no way I'd bolt that on my LP, even lf I used 159 different tunings.

And as ironlung said, it's all well and good being re tuned in a short amount of time but what help is that if your stood around watching your bass player and co-guitarist re-tune because they both have regular guitars?
We use 2 tunings live, drop C# and drop D and have a separate guitar for each which both have different gauge strings and set-ups. Switching guitars is fast enough for us.

Maybe useful for some but I'll stick to using my ear/tuner/switching guitars for different tunings.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:16 pm

I don't really get all the hate for the robot guitars. I own one.. it's not my main, but I find it really convenient for when I want to learn songs that might have a different tuning or even just be tuned a 1/2 step down. Call me lazy (in this case I am), but sometimes if I want to learn a song by ear and notice it's a different tuning, it just bugs me enough that I might not bother tuning to learn it. But with the robot, it's just a few strums away and I'm good to go. Or if I want to experiment with an alternate tuning for fun, again it's just convenient. I agree that I wouldn't want to do that in a band situation though.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:57 pm

I know I posted it, but I think it's ugly too and wouldn't pursue getting one either. But I think it's cool the technology is there

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:15 pm

I don't like it because it's not neccesary and it's fugly. Did Jeff Martin also talk about how he wishes he was Jimmy Page' and Jim Morrison's love child? :lol:

I saw them once in Victoria B.C. on his birthday and they got the bouncers to block the doors and he just hauled out a giant mayonaise jar full of joints and set up like 200 people with weed which I though was cool. :wink: He got everyone in the club to sit on the floor hippie-style and just chatted while we all smoked up. Only in Canada you say? Pity...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:03 pm

ironlung40 wrote:Never understood the need for all of these alternate tunings. During the course of making a record, I can see experimenting and using many, but for live performance, I feel like you should be able to get by without using all of them. I would always have a backup guitar for a show, and maybe use it for some alternate tunings, but for the most part, I think you're better just sticking to something and working the song out even if it does sound a bit different than the album......so many other factors come into play too, like string guages, and having the other band members keep up with the tunings too if you have multiple guitarists, etc. During a gig, you want simple and reliable, period.

I'll never buy a robot guitar or anything similar, I like my stuff straight up without all of these add-ons.
One of my friends started experimenting with alternate tuning a while back.

It's his nemesis in a way now - he has different tuning for each of his song. He has to retune between every single song they play (he cant afford to buy many guitar, usually plays with just the one 12 strings with only 6 strings on it).

His music is brilliant. He's also an excellent song writer to boot.

Horses for courses - give me an alternate tuning, I'm confused, where as this guy eats them all and throws back brilliant songs at you, dark, moody, broody just as I like them!!!! :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C26pKd0Aik" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The day they finally have a CD, I'm buying it!!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Jondog wrote:I know I posted it, but I think it's ugly too and wouldn't pursue getting one either. But I think it's cool the technology is there

It really is. Even those Gibson robot are pretty cool for that retuning malarky. One of my mate plays covers in pubs on his own - with the pubs filling in and out, the temprature changes quite a bit and he needs to retune a lot. He was gutted the SG robot he got got broken in shipping, classic head stock break.

Not sure if he finally got one or not?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Post by Gorgar » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:42 pm

I use two tunings, and I have guitars set up for each. I also don't think a guitar would stay in tune over time if you kept changing the tuning on it, but maybe that's just been my experience.

If I used more alternate tunings, I'm pretty sure I'd just dedicate more guitars to them.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:48 am

The thing is, Jeff Martin uses different tunings on alot of songs. I think he was implying he uses it when he's practicing or writing. In concert he has a different guitar for every song. When you use a dozen different tunings do you really want to haul all of those guitars out just to jam? He did say "At home I have this guitar..." Tea Party is on tour, so it doesn't sound like he uses it on the road. I'm sure it's a useful tool to have for those who need it.

funky_wrench
Tiny Terror

Post by funky_wrench » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:53 am

Am I the only one that noticed the price.... :shock:

You could almost buy two robot guitars for the price of the "upgrade" alone, and you'd get to keep the guitar and not have to provide one to be butchered up!

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:17 am

59? Really?

Thats just friggin nutty.