So it was project time once again.....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

So it was project time once again.....

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:42 am

For those who haven't been here long, I like to build stuff.

Anyway, I've really been diggin' my Tiny Terror through a single 10" Eminence Ramrod lately. Housed in a very cheap home made cab:

And I mean really diggin' it. I've played a couple of gigs with it and it sounds killer. Very impressed. The only thing it's missing is a little deeper tone, kind of like a full sized 1x12. So that got me thinking, I really should start looking into 2x10 cabs!

So, I started down the road thinking of all the cab mfgs that build 2x10. Avatar, lopoline, a couple of small builders on TGP.... And I even started to think that I could build my own even though it's pretty time consuming. So it came down to it and I was looking at $65 for a speaker and another $240-250 for a cab. I just didn't want to spend that kind of money right now before the holidays.....

Then I thought about this over sized 1x12 I built last year (almost identically the size of a PPC112) *EDIT: It is not the same size as the PPC112. I remember measuring the PPC extensively so I went back to look. I made the cab the same width and depth so it would stack nicely but this cab is about 3"-4" taller. If anyone would like to know the exact dimensions for their own build just ask......

At this point I figured I really didn't need another 1x12 sitting around (since I have 3 others) and I started to measure... And I'll be damned that it had JUST enough space to fit 2x10s diagnally. One major problem was that the 1x12 baffle was glued and screwed into the existing cab. But if I sawed out enough I'd have just enough room for a 1/2" ply baffle that I could mount on the front. So out comes the sawsall and the table saw and I get this!

It's a deep sounding great 2x10 open backed cab, that I didn't have to build from scratch! And it sounds great!

Just thought I'd share.
Last edited by Thinline_slim on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brianr0131
Orange Master

Re: So it was project time once again.....

Post by brianr0131 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:49 am

Looks Great. Well Done
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:51 am

which speakers are in there? Ramrods again? that's one nice looking cab, man.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:27 am

Looking good - let's see some pics of the backside!

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:32 am

Randy Bass wrote:Looking good - let's see some pics of the backside!
Can't... resist... taking out of context...
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks brianr0131 and jason41224 and yes I have it loaded with two Ramrods right now. I also tried my pair of Weber Silver 10s and my pair of Weber AlNico Blue Pups but the Ramrods compliment the TT much better and are considerably louder, which helps with a 15W head.
Randy Bass wrote:Looking good - let's see some pics of the backside!
Here you go man, but you're the first person I've ever known who's into speaker cab badonkadonk.

Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:57 pm

Nice work!

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:06 pm

how does the 2x10 compare soundwise to the 1x12?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:Image
Look at the ass on that!! ;) Only suggestion - perhaps you should paint the inside of the baffle board black for extra sexiness for back door peepers? ;)

Seriously though, good job on it all.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:44 am

Nice Ramrods!

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:05 am

VERY nice.... hmmmmmmmmm, this might have to be my at-home Thunderverb cab-design, since I can't get a 412 into the designated space... hmmmmmmm

I very much like.

also, waiting for "Car RamRod"/supertroopers references....
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

funky_wrench
Tiny Terror

Post by funky_wrench » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 am

Dark Helmet wrote:VERY nice.... hmmmmmmmmm, this might have to be my at-home Thunderverb cab-design, since I can't get a 412 into the designated space... hmmmmmmm

I very much like.

also, waiting for "Car RamRod"/supertroopers references....

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:40 pm

mr_william wrote:how does the 2x10 compare soundwise to the 1x12?
It's a little apples and oranges since the frequency ranges of the Ramrods don't really match up to the G12H30.

The G12H30 has more in the mid-mid and upper-mid frequency range where the Ramrods actually have more lower mids, lows and top end (just barely in the top end) but nothing bad about either. I can get a very comparable sound with the tone knob at noon with the G12H30 and around 2:30 with the RRs.

The two Ramrods do sound a little fuller and just a shade louder than the G12H30 and they have more punch. The G12H30 sounds a little looser.

I will admit that as of today I'm much preferring the 2 x RR cab to the single G12H30 which revises my standpoint on the "best" speaker for the TT. I've really touted the G12H30 in the past but I'm seriously liking the 2 x RRs.
Le Chat Noir wrote:Look at the ass on that!! ;) Only suggestion - perhaps you should paint the inside of the baffle board black for extra sexiness for back door peepers? ;)

:oops: I actually thought of that after I took the picture. I'll see if it bothers me in a week enough to take it a part. One problem is the grill cloth is mounted directly to the baffle so I'd have to get a little creative to not go through the process of removing all the staples and pulling the grill cloth off to paint it. We'll see.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments! I'm happy with it.
Jake
"One of the 400"

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:
Thinline_slim wrote:Image
Look at the ass on that!! ;) Only suggestion - perhaps you should paint the inside of the baffle board black for extra sexiness for back door peepers? ;)

you could have at least put a thong in the picture for continuity sakes :lol:

seriously though nice work :D when I ran my TT through a 2 x10 cab I wasn`t happy with the sounds I was getting, I found the 1 x12 worked better for my tastes. I also didn`t have a set of speakers as good as what you are using which probably played a major factor
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:37 pm

If you ever want to paint the inside of the cab, i'd suggest removing the back panels and covering the speaker rather than removing the baffle panel.

In any case, nice work!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute