tech 21 oxford

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Brown Brown

Re: tech 21 oxford

Post by Brown Brown » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:51 pm

To anyone who is interested in how the Tech 21 Oxford sounds, be assured it sounds very good and captures a lot of the Orange tone if you know how to use it.

This can be very convenient when you are gigging in smaller place and need less volume or if they want you to go through their sound system, for example. Not to mention for using at home if you need a big sound at lower volumes or in the studio for convenience, or if you don't want to lug your stack around. Or just if you want more flavors on your sonic palette.

In any case, if something like that seems interesting to you then give it a try. No doubt a couple of you will find it's a pretty neat thing to have.

Don't be dissuaded by comments made by those who haven't used this particular gear or only in one way like direct. You owe it to yourself to try things out rather than relying on some self-acclaimed "expert's" biased opinions. Some guys live on the internet and comment on everything whether they've used something before or not. That's just ego talking. Besides the fact that it's not possible to learn much when one spends all their time on forums posting. If they were so great or brilliant, they would not be on the forum so much. :idea:

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" (or the basement warriors). Or at least take the comments with a huge grain of salt. :mrgreen:
Brown Brown eats black cats for breakfast.

Brown Brown

Post by Brown Brown » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:56 pm

Borderline Productions wrote:Brown Brown — take a couple Valium.
As for the valium comments, I'm chill. If you don't know where that came from, reread the original posts.

If the dude or anybody else wants respect then they need to show some. He hijacked my post to focus on another issue and in effect put words in my mouth. Bullocks in, bullocks out.

But thank you for the thoughtful comments. :wink:
Brown Brown eats black cats for breakfast.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Brown Brown wrote:Don't be dissuaded by comments made by those who haven't used this particular gear or only in one way like direct. You owe it to yourself to try things out rather than relying on some self-acclaimed "expert's" biased opinions. Some guys live on the internet and comment on everything whether they've used something before or not. That's just ego talking. Besides the fact that it's not possible to learn much when one spends all their time on forums posting. If they were so great or brilliant, they would not be on the forum so much. :idea:
*sigh* If this is aimed at me, you clearly didn't bother to read my response to your way over the top reaction. I'm not sure why you are trying to antagonise me so much, but I'll again try to be reasonable.

As I have mentioned several times, I too have actually gigged with Tech 21 pedals and given them a fair shot as a part of my rig, as well as various other modelling gear. I'm just a humble rock player, with little finesse in my playing, but for what it's worth I have performed around 300 shows in the past few years, touring all over Europe with my band - I'm not exactly earning a living out of it yet but I eat, breathe and live music most of the time so it's a bit of an insult to have a total stranger label me a 'basement warrior'. I'm sure you'll take this as me being arrogant, but I'm just stating the facts about myself as you seem to have it in your head that I'm something and somebody I'm not.

I feel I have a valid opinion and some experience to share but I never professed to be any kind of expert - you told us about your experiences with this pedal, and all I did was try to give a different point of view. You didn't like that I disagreed with you so you set out to attack my character in some kind of weird pissing match to prove your opinion matters more. You saw 2+2 in my post and added it up to 5 - I never attacked you personally, nor insinuated your opinion was worthless (as you have done to me repeatedly). If you have evidence to the contrary, please post a quote of what I said that riled you so much.

You accuse me of 'putting words in your mouth' - then post a ton of crap sneering at me, mocking me for apparently thinking I'm god's gift to guitars, which is so wide of the mark it's not even funny. Read my actual words again and tell me where I said any of that, or put words in your mouth. Perhaps I didn't choose my words well enough, but what you read into them was totally at odds with my intention.

In the bits you took umbrage to, here's what I actually said:
Le Chat Noir wrote:I've read a lot of comments about Tech 21 pedals where people have said that because it's a 'pure' all-analogue pedal, that gives it the edge over digital-based modelling, which to me is just an emotional response rather than an objective one.
Le Chat Noir wrote:I do think a lot of people talk trash about 'digital' without any real basis for their objection.
The 'a lot of' bits are the clue that I wasn't actually talking about you, but making a general statement about comments I have read in other places. Can I make this any clearer to you?

The other thing I said that you took personally was:
Le Chat Noir wrote:If you really love the Orange tone, for example, why not sell your Marshall and Tech 21 and get a real Orange? I know you also use the Leeds, but to my mind one nailed-down, totally true tone is better than two 'nearly-there' ones.
Again, I intended this as a general statement that if 'one' loved the Orange tone, 'one' would be better off with an Orange than a Tech 21/Marshall rig, and 'one' could still put other Tech 21 pedals into, say, a Rockerverb's effects loop. I stand by my comments saying that a real Orange would do 'the Orange sound' much better than a Tech 21 into your Marshall's effects loop. This is an Orange forum, and most of us here love Orange, so that shouldn't come as a shock to you, should it? If I went on the Marshall forum saying a Marshall emulating pedal into a Twin was just as good as the real thing I bet I'd get the same kind of reply.

Beyond that, I don't feel any more need to justify or explain myself - most regulars here know I'm not the guy you've painted me as, I have made lots of good friends and met nice folk in real life through here. I hang around because I love Orange amps and use them, and want to help other people who ask for opinions - not because I want to show off, stroke my ego or whatever you have in your head. I have learned a ton from the helpful folk here like Andy for example, who is far more knowledgeable about amps than I'll ever be. As I repeatedly pointed out, I don't see myself as being 'right' - we all have opinions and I am happy to respect anyone's, so long as they don't come out all guns blazing and get personal in what was previously a very friendly and lively debate. You keep talking about respect but you haven't showed any to anyone on here yet, or earned it.

You're clearly trying to deliberately wind me up in a fairly childish way. Considering you must be in your sixties given how long you say you've been playing, you certainly do a good job of acting just like the teenage flamers you say you can't stand on other forums. Your bullying tactics are the kind used by playground bullies.

EDIT: sorry I keep editing this, I just want to choose my words carefully in the hopes of finally drawing a line under this storm in a teacup...
Last edited by Le Chat Noir on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:23 pm

brown brown, if your so clever, knowledgable and generally better than everyone else on the internet, why do you feel the need to have your sig as 'i eat black cats for breakfast'?

maybe you need to sort out some of your insecuritys out and stop acting like a stuck up child.

or does my oppinion not count as i dont know anyone who owns a hiwatt?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:50 am

I know one thing - Brown Brown certainly doesn't eat Crow for breakfast.

Apologies in advance if anyone finds that to be offensive...